LEO Encounters in AZ - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: LEO Encounters in AZ

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    I do not take exception to the statement made by the LEO mentioned. First of all, I wouldn't have said anything about the gun. Don't forget, he is in Arizona and the possibility of being shot there by a BG is relatively high. However, my only comment to him, if required, would have been "Yes Sir" and held my steering wheel very tightly if this situation had developed. Why give him a hard time? Maybe he could have handled the situation a little differently but you at least knew he wasn't playing and to not touch your gun.
    Yep, that's about the extent of police/citizens relations...Just hold the steering wheel tight, say "Yes Sir"/"No Sir" and pray that he won't kill you...
    Just basic sense of healthy fear towards the police department...and as far as their job being dangerous?...Hello! It's a police department! I'm sure that when they joined PD they had a suspicion that this job's going to be a wee bit hazardous....It's like a fireman who can't stand the fire...
    If you don't like your job...do something else...Sorry you picked a profession where people shoot at you...Sorry your life made a wrong turn...That's no reason to take it out on the rest of the world...
    Something weird is happening in our Police academies...I wonder if there's a classes on ethics, compassion and humanity? Probably not, judging from the kind of stories I've been seeing on the news...

  2.   
  3. #12

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    Yep, that's about the extent of police/citizens relations...Just hold the steering wheel tight, say "Yes Sir"/"No Sir" and pray that he won't kill you...
    Just basic sense of healthy fear towards the police department...and as far as their job being dangerous?...Hello! It's a police department! I'm sure that when they joined PD they had a suspicion that this job's going to be a wee bit hazardous....It's like a fireman who can't stand the fire...
    If you don't like your job...do something else...Sorry you picked a profession where people shoot at you...Sorry your life made a wrong turn...That's no reason to take it out on the rest of the world...
    Something weird is happening in our Police academies...I wonder if there's a classes on ethics, compassion and humanity? Probably not, judging from the kind of stories I've been seeing on the news...
    Hey Tex: Ease up there cupcake before you stroke out! Seems like to me you must have had some bad experiences somewhere along the line to cause you to come across so bitter. Police and firemen do know their jobs are dangerous but they, I dare say, do not live their lives recklessly but do what they feel the job requires, albeit to the chagrin of others. As for me, I have found that getting up in a police officer's face is not the thing I should/could have done. I do not have a "healthy fear", as you put it of the police but I do not act like a horse's a$$ either. Then again, just my opinion. You have a good day now, ya' heah?

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    many open carry [and] many carry concealed as well as you don't have to have a CCW [in Arizona]

    Although Arizona state law does not require one to have a permit to carry, anyone who passes within 1000 feet of the property line of any K-12 school without an Arizona CCW permit is violating the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995, which is a federal felony punishable by 5 years in federal prison and the permanent loss of their right to own a firearm.


    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/polit...important.html





















  5. #14

    LEO contact

    You will find that a CCW doesn't give you the authority to carry in a school zone in AZ. But, that is just the stupidity of our society deciding our children are not worth protecting.
    An interesting note that no one has addressed is the thousands of people who pass through the Pima-Salt River reservation on a daily basis (which does not recognize a concealed weapon permit). There is a permit you can obtain ($15, a picture of you and with the serial number of each firearm you wish to get permission to carry on the reservation) which very few people do as it is not well publicized and isn't the easiest finding the form to fill out (I have after much searching).
    This only becomes important if you carry while on the reservation and anything happens where you have to use your firearm. It also allows you to not have the motor patrol temporarily confiscate your firearm during a traffic stop. Yes, they will ask you if you have a gun in the car most of the time and yes, they do have the authority to temporarily "borrow" it and run the serial number.
    As far as LEO contacts, I have had plenty in the last 34 years, especially with a large NRA Instructor sticker on the left rear passenger window and a license plate that says 4THE2A. To date, no one has even said anything other than the reservation police, but they do tense up a little when I go for my wallet.
    “Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by AriKona View Post
    You will find that a CCW doesn't give you the authority to carry in a school zone in AZ. But, that is just the stupidity of our society deciding our children are not worth protecting.
    An interesting note that no one has addressed is the thousands of people who pass through the Pima-Salt River reservation on a daily basis (which does not recognize a concealed weapon permit). There is a permit you can obtain ($15, a picture of you and with the serial number of each firearm you wish to get permission to carry on the reservation) which very few people do as it is not well publicized and isn't the easiest finding the form to fill out (I have after much searching).
    This only becomes important if you carry while on the reservation and anything happens where you have to use your firearm. It also allows you to not have the motor patrol temporarily confiscate your firearm during a traffic stop. Yes, they will ask you if you have a gun in the car most of the time and yes, they do have the authority to temporarily "borrow" it and run the serial number.
    As far as LEO contacts, I have had plenty in the last 34 years, especially with a large NRA Instructor sticker on the left rear passenger window and a license plate that says 4THE2A. To date, no one has even said anything other than the reservation police, but they do tense up a little when I go for my wallet.
    Would you be able to post a link to the permit page for the res.? I go to the Pavilion's car shows at least twice a month and would like to lawfully carry there. Thanks.

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    Would you be able to post a link to the permit page for the res.? I go to the Pavilion's car shows at least twice a month and would like to lawfully carry there. Thanks.
    I am glad you asked. This way you won't have to go through what I did to get the application. It took about 3 months from the first contact with Pima/Salt River Police Dept. until I got the form.

    My first contact was being pulled over for, shall we say "going a little too fast on the 101". The officer, having read my license plate and seeing the instructor decal on my back window, asked the question, "Do you have any guns in the car?" rather than "May I see your license, insurance and registration?" He then told me that CCW permits aren't recognized on the reservation, something I already knew, but didn't expect it to be a problem since I was only transporting them (guns) across tribal land. I asked where to get the application for a permit to carry on tribal land and he told me the Police Department (on Osborn and Dobson) had them.

    After a letter to the PD, several telephone calls and a couple of visits, I found the right person to talk to (it was at a delivery window in the back of the station) and they gave me a few of the forms. I have converted it to PDF since I have had several of my students ask for one as well. I have attached a copy here. Note: If you are going to register more than one firearm, call the contact I have noted at the top of the page. The fee structure is that only the first gun costs the full amount. The fee they ask (which is actually $15, not $16 like it says) includes fingerprinting, which I believe you can have done elsewhere and save a couple of bucks.

    As for the necessity, I can't really say it is essential to do. Over 1,000 people each day travel the 101 without having a permit and the permit does have the serial number of the gun(s) you register, which some may object to, but if you do any sort of business on the reservation, it would be worth obtaining (I consider it somewhat of a courtesy if nothing else). I will say you brought up a very good point with the show at the Pavilions. Hopefully nothing will happen there, but it is on tribal land so your move is wise.

    If I can be of help in any other way, please let me know. Thanks again for asking and I'll see if there is a way to centrally post the application for others who may want to get one.

    Don

    Attachment 788
    Last edited by AriKona; 01-28-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typographic errors
    “Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” - Jeff Cooper

  8. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarroll View Post
    I have lived in AZ 98% of my life. Never had a issue to really speak of with the police. I do have many stories of federal officers (border patrol, customs).
    I mostly find them to heavey handed. Maybe even bullish in their actions. Now before you jump on me for slaming fed enforcement. Live around the border for awhile. Get pulled over and asked why you are traveling on a public road? Then asked to open your truck to inspection. After that asked to explain the reason you have a weapon. Cause he just dont understand the need to carry. This is pretty standard of the young officers I see between wilcox and tucson.
    I live just West of Douglas and have very few issues with BP or ICE. If they ask any of the why, what or where questions I ignore it and don't respond. I had one young BP push and told him quite bluntly "It is none of your business last time I checked", his parder laughed and said ""have a nice day sir".


    99% of the LEO's here are fine folks, I have no complaints.

    Steve

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eastern Colorado
    Posts
    269
    I think a cop should remove anyone that states they have a firearm from the vehicle, at gun point. They should then disarm the individual and cuff them while they run the serial numbers on the gun. People just don't understand how hard and dangerous LEO's jobs are. I think their safety should be priority.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I think a cop should remove anyone that states they have a firearm from the vehicle, at gun point.
    Because gunowners are people who should be subjected to public ridicule.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    They should then disarm the individual and cuff them while they run the serial numbers on the gun.
    Why stop there? Why not strip search the person for the public to see? Especially if they are female.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    People just don't understand how hard and dangerous LEO's jobs are.
    Law Enforcement is a less dangerous profesion than being a bartender, hotel night auditor, or taxi driver. By your logic taxi drivers should be allowed to disarm gunowners at gunpoint.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I think their safety should be priority.
    Law Enforcement Officer safety IS already a high priority. Cops get all the latest equipment for their benefit, be it guns, balistic armor, impact weapons, comm gear, et cetera. Also Law Enforcement Officers are usually readily identifiable and protected by special laws that enhance the penalties for criminal acts against them.

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I think a cop should remove anyone that states they have a firearm from the vehicle, at gun point. They should then disarm the individual and cuff them while they run the serial numbers on the gun. People just don't understand how hard and dangerous LEO's jobs are. I think their safety should be priority.
    ARE YOU FOR REAL? Or are your posts all a joke to get our attention, I know you carry a CCW badge, so you clearly WANT attention. If this is an act, get a hobby or other job. if this is real, I feel REALLY sorry for you. Desperate cry's for attention on almost all of your posts/replies.

    I won't say any more to you (AT ALL) you are one odd duck and I have many other friends I would rather converse with on this forum. Lastly, please let me know your screen name on other boards you are a member of, or will I just recognize your crazy rantings there too?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. List Of Arizona Gun Ranges
    By lukem in forum Arizona Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 10:41 AM
  2. LEO Right to disarm legal Concealed Carrier?
    By Islander in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 109
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 02:18 AM
  3. 2 LEO Encounters
    By Itstjs in forum LEO Encounters
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 07:11 AM
  4. New LEO Situation in SC
    By kelcarry in forum LEO Encounters
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 07:26 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast