LEO Encounters in AZ
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEO Encounters in AZ

LEO Encounters in AZ

Hey all. Since I am new here and don't want to go through all the threads, I thought I would post what I know about LEO encounters in AZ.

I go to church at a small church of about 150 people. My Pastor, and about 20 people are CCW carriers and 2A fans. Some of them are LEO's and at a men's breakfast the other day I asked if I am pulled over do I declare my gun. They said "it is not required or advised". Since AZ is so acceptable of guns, many open carry and many carry concealed as well as you don't have to have a CCW to carry concealed, it's amazing how many people carry.

In addition, one of the LEO's (who is a detective) said he has a simple policy. When someone does declare they have a firearm, he replies "good, you touch it I shoot you". nuff said.

I Love AZ, hate the cactus and the heat is a bear, but you don't have to shovel it and that's good with me. I do miss having snow on Christmas (grew up in Il.) but being able to observe 2A so easily makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    Since AZ is so acceptable of guns, many open carry and many carry concealed as well as you don't have to have a CCW to carry concealed, it's amazing how many people carry.
    I love this! Why can't the whole nation follow suit????

Quote Originally Posted by Daven View Post
    In addition, one of the LEO's (who is a detective) said he has a simple policy. When someone does declare they have a firearm, he replies "good, you touch it I shoot you". nuff said.
    The next words out of my mouth would be "That's nice can I have your full name and the name and contact information for your immediate supervisor please?"

I would then do every thing in my power to end your career
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

5. I have lived in AZ 98% of my life. Never had a issue to really speak of with the police. I do have many stories of federal officers (border patrol, customs).
    I mostly find them to heavey handed. Maybe even bullish in their actions. Now before you jump on me for slaming fed enforcement. Live around the border for awhile. Get pulled over and asked why you are traveling on a public road? Then asked to open your truck to inspection. After that asked to explain the reason you have a weapon. Cause he just dont understand the need to carry. This is pretty standard of the young officers I see between wilcox and tucson.

Cool "You touch it and I'll shoot you."

I do not take exception to the statement made by the LEO mentioned. First of all, I wouldn't have said anything about the gun. Don't forget, he is in Arizona and the possibility of being shot there by a BG is relatively high. However, my only comment to him, if required, would have been "Yes Sir" and held my steering wheel very tightly if this situation had developed. Why give him a hard time? Maybe he could have handled the situation a little differently but you at least knew he wasn't playing and to not touch your gun.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    I do not take exception to the statement made by the LEO mentioned. First of all, I wouldn't have said anything about the gun. Don't forget, he is in Arizona and the possibility of being shot there by a BG is relatively high. However, my only comment to him, if required, would have been "Yes Sir" and held my steering wheel very tightly if this situation had developed. Why give him a hard time? Maybe he could have handled the situation a little differently but you at least knew he wasn't playing and to not touch your gun.
    I am sorry! Might be a miscommunication? But I am talking of the actions as a whole. Not 1 traffic stop! Myself I have had several (10-15) stops per year. The same for many others in the area. I am sure you have read of the problems; arizona reservations filing court orders to limit BP on the reservations. tohono o'odham (tucson) Being one! People around this area take offence to being randomly pulled over on the way home or town and ask what our reason for being on a public paved road. Or ask to open the trunk for inspection with out PC. You see! The border has had Immigration and drug violence for over 30 years. Our goverment has neglected to deal with it. Now news crews have plasterd it on tv. So you might say it is the flavor of the week. Some seem to think maybe they are makeing a showing. Or maybe the lack a dept. of professional conduct. It matters not cause this is the world I live in. You talk that in AZ a officer has a good chance of being shot??????? Heck we have live with the same dangers! The news you see on tv? Is not all the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Why give him a hard time?
    Because if a citizen did that it would be felony menacing (in Colorado)

Bet your left cheek if you said that to a cop you'd be charged. Why should they be allowed to threaten people like that ?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

9. Guys please dont get the wrong ideas with what I have said! I realize the men out there protect me. And I cant say enough thank you's!!!!!!!! But like any group of people its the 5 to 10% that are remembered. So I feel better now that I vented. But on the other side me and my wife do carry digital recorders. Mostly for peace of mind

Quote Originally Posted by bcarroll View Post
    I realize the men out there protect me.
    Really? you might want to google Castle Rock V. Gonzales

I'll even give you a link

Castle Rock v. Gonzales - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005), was a case decided by the Supreme Court of the United States, in which the court ruled, 7-2, that a town and its police department could not be sued under 42 U.S.C. §1983 for failing to enforce a restraining order, which had led to the murder of a woman's three children by her estranged husband.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    The next words out of my mouth would be "That's nice can I have your full name and the name and contact information for your immediate supervisor please?"

I would then do every thing in my power to end your career
    Hate to say it, but I would do the same exact thing as you, Treo. That sort of attitude has NO Place in dealing with people.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast