Bumpy LEO encounter tonight - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bumpy LEO encounter tonight

1. Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Are we women bashing now?

Why don't just start bashing everyone that is not 6', blonde, blue eyed and male?
    Not trying to woman bash. I think woman have a place in the workfield. Just not a position with that authority. In my experience with FLEOs, to compensate for being a female they have to flaunt their power.

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaNinja View Post
    Not trying to woman bash. I think woman have a place in the workfield. Just not a position with that authority. In my experience with FLEOs, to compensate for being a female they have to flaunt their power.
    i know a few female leo's and just females that would love to hear someone say this. besides the imo dumb remark, back to the topic at hand. she was blowin smoke dude. prolly got yelled at or is havin a crapy day. no need to worry about your permit, its not going anywhere (unless you really mess up). label it a bad day and move on to the next.

best wishes and happy holidays.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    I think if you were charged and convicted of something then you might have cause to worry. You are still innocent until proven guilty. Being lost is not a crime.

I you feel the cop was overstepping her authority you could file a complaint against her. She was probably just showing off. Still if you receive a letter in the mail in a week or so revoking your permit I would have a long talk with her SO.
    You know, I bet that female cop would not even remotely say something like that IF she was not a cop and IF you were crossing pathes with her on some dark street somewhere. My point is if you are in an official capacity, you have a moral obligation to make sure that you are not trying to be something that you really are not, i.e. a real bad ass. She should be removed from police duty, cops like that are dangerous not only to us but to themselves and their families as well. I agree, I feel as though she was just blowing hot air. You recieved no ticket or showed any reckless endangerment with your firearm, so I would not worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    No mention of your weapon, were you CC? " They put me in the back of the car" If you were what was the disposition of your weapon?
    This story just doesn't add up with the way it's wrote. NO disrespect but I have doubts on the chain of events.
    It was in the glove compartment; I wasn't wearing the holster at the time. They didn't open the glove compartment or remove it.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I haven't gotten any letters in the mail or anything. The whole thing was like a strange dream.

I didn't stop for directions because frankly, I didn't want them to ask about my strange-looking passengers being out rather late at night. One of them looks 12 but is in fact 29. They did end up asking about them anyway, and commented that we shouldn't be out "so late". I agreed, but privately thought...well, is there a law against being out late? Is there a martial law curfew I wasn't aware of? Do the roads close at 9 PM? Cops act like parents.

I didn't really mean this to be anything against female cops. No telling what the deal was...maybe she just felt that she needed to give us a good talking-to because all of the other cops didn't care. It's also possible that women focus more on the victims than on the perpetrators and become outraged more easily (Nancy Grace). Anyway, if we'd met under different circumstances, the encounter probably would have been friendly. As it was, she was at least a foot shorter than me but scared the bejesus out of me.

She said she had a guy in her car who said we were following him around. I didn't see in the car because the windows were heavily tinted, and I never got the chance to see him. It could have been empty for all I know. They said he was driving a Porsche, and I did see one in front of us (hard to miss that). But he was in a Porsche, and I'm in an old beater...he could leave us at warp speed if he wanted. We were going about 30-40 mph the whole time.

Better question...what was a guy in a Porsche doing driving around late at night in Jacksonville? The cops asked each other but never got an answer. I don't know what his side of the story was, and I didn't want to hang around to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    And if you were not CC, why would you show them your permit?
    I like to be as up-front as possible. I give them both IDs, the registration and insurance card all at once, put my keys on the dashboard, roll down the window and turn on the dome light. Nothing to hide, nothing to see.

I'd rather err on the side of giving them the CWP up front rather than them finding out after running my license that I have one, and asking why I didn't tell them. Not that I'm legally obligated to...but again, erring on the side of openness.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

there is no law that you have to answer any questions the police ask except to show them your id and ccw if carrying. remember anything you say CAN and WLL be used against you. many innocent people have been charged while trying to be helpful. im not anti-cop but my business is my business not a cops. any cop regardless of gender that treated you like that is a bully and should not have a badge in my opinion.

8. Quote Originally Posted by toreskha View Post
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I haven't gotten any letters in the mail or anything. The whole thing was like a strange dream.

I didn't stop for directions because frankly, I didn't want them to ask about my strange-looking passengers being out rather late at night. One of them looks 12 but is in fact 29. They did end up asking about them anyway, and commented that we shouldn't be out "so late". I agreed, but privately thought...well, is there a law against being out late? Is there a martial law curfew I wasn't aware of? Do the roads close at 9 PM? Cops act like parents.

I didn't really mean this to be anything against female cops. No telling what the deal was...maybe she just felt that she needed to give us a good talking-to because all of the other cops didn't care. It's also possible that women focus more on the victims than on the perpetrators and become outraged more easily (Nancy Grace). Anyway, if we'd met under different circumstances, the encounter probably would have been friendly. As it was, she was at least a foot shorter than me but scared the bejesus out of me.

She said she had a guy in her car who said we were following him around. I didn't see in the car because the windows were heavily tinted, and I never got the chance to see him. It could have been empty for all I know. They said he was driving a Porsche, and I did see one in front of us (hard to miss that). But he was in a Porsche, and I'm in an old beater...he could leave us at warp speed if he wanted. We were going about 30-40 mph the whole time.

Better question...what was a guy in a Porsche doing driving around late at night in Jacksonville? The cops asked each other but never got an answer. I don't know what his side of the story was, and I didn't want to hang around to find out.

I like to be as up-front as possible. I give them both IDs, the registration and insurance card all at once, put my keys on the dashboard, roll down the window and turn on the dome light. Nothing to hide, nothing to see.

I'd rather err on the side of giving them the CWP up front rather than them finding out after running my license that I have one, and asking why I didn't tell them. Not that I'm legally obligated to...but again, erring on the side of openness.

Mistake #1: You are under no obligation to disclose you are a CWFL (not CWP) holder. By divulging that information without being asked, it only complicates a relatively simple traffic stop. Never lie. If asked if there is a weapon in the car, answer truthfully. You do not need a CWFL to have a securely encased weapon in the car.

Mistake #2: In Florida, the police cannot find out if you have a CWFL by running your license on their cruiser laptop. That information is only available to them through the dispatcher upon special request. It's not something they do unless they are presented with a CWFL, and then it's only to check if it is still valid.

Mistake #3: LEOs are under no obligation to tell you the truth. If you carry a firearm, it is up to you to know what is legal and what isn't. Police are a terrible source for legal advice of any kind. If you have any questions regarding firearms or any other type of law, consult a lawyer. Do not trust an officer's word on legal matters. I cannot stress this enough. There are many FL LEOs that swear there is a three-step rule for firearms in cars in this state. Not true. One had the audacity to tell a friend that because he had refused to permit the LEO to search his vehicle, the refusal constituted probable cause for a search. Wrong. And little did the LEO know, but my friend happens to be a firearms attorney!

That being said, the roadside is no place to argue your rights. Comply with lawful orders. Repeatedly ask if you are being detained, and if you are free to leave. If your rights are violated, get an attorney. If you are treated with disrespect or unprofessional behavior, file a complaint.
    Rich - MSgt, USAF, Ret.
    Want to accomplish something for your gun rights?
    PITCH IN, QUIT B*TCHIN'

good post rich 7553. i need to claify myself. i ment to say that in some (not all) states you are required to tell the cop you are packing and of course showin the cop your permit. I live in wa state and the few times ive been stopped the subject hasnt come up. here we do not have to notify and i never have. and it is true the police are allowed to lie to you but you are not allowed to lie to them. but there is the 5th amendment and it was put there to protect all of us. god bless the founding fathers of our great republic.

File a complaint, she was totally out of line and probably also on her period "yeah I said it"!! So you looked suspicious......big deal, at least they did their job and checked you out. And everything checked out, so you should have been on your merry way without an officer giving her/his opinion on your "legally" 2nd ammendment right.You did the right thing in that situation in my opinion, better to be honest than sorry later.

Appraising Real Estate for a living I am always driving slow through both good and bad areas, personally I like the cops showing up and usually just explain what I am doing show ID and move on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123