Now THIS is a LEO encounter! - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is a LEO encounter!

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I don't always open carry but when I do it's a non event.

If I notice someone w/ a gun on his/her hip I'm generally pleased that some one else "gets it" It has never occurred to me to "go on the defensive"

I always CC unless going on Base. It's a non event for me also. But remember, he was in California. Here it has been, and still is, a big event. I agree, it should not be. But it's getting much better. The Police are learning to deal with it. And open carriers are learning to deal with it.

I am generally pleased as well when I see open carry. But I am ALWAYS very cautious. "On defense" may sound a bit harsh, but I'm going home every night.

If a LEO asks me for my ID I feel obligated to do so. That way he knows I am not an escaped felon/etc. I can go my way and he can know next time who I am. If I was a LEO and someone refused to ID themselves(even within the law) I would check out everything about him-his firearm, his auto, and anything else with an ID #--and I would take my time. These folks want to go home just like we do to wife and kids. Most are fine responsible people. Just like us--it is that "ten percent" that mars the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by -06 View Post
    If a LEO asks me for my ID I feel obligated to do so. That way he knows I am not an escaped felon/etc. I can go my way and he can know next time who I am. If I was a LEO and someone refused to ID themselves(even within the law) I would check out everything about him-his firearm, his auto, and anything else with an ID #--and I would take my time. These folks want to go home just like we do to wife and kids. Most are fine responsible people. Just like us--it is that "ten percent" that mars the rest.

So are you saying that you'd use your authority to harras someone for exercising their civil liberties? What if they refused to consent to a search?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

It's all about "intent" and "circumstances."

That's why it takes three pages in a web to forum to even get the argument started.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    If that was your only option would you take it?

You do the best you can

I have to add that the fact that they are (apparently) both Marines changes everything . Being a Marine is like being a Mason you go the limit for a fellow Marine
    Should be you go the limit for your fellow American. All in all a great encounter and Jeremy did a fine job as well.

Carry On!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    Should be you go the limit for your fellow American.
    My point exactly. Being X marines has nothing to do with everything (everything to do with nothing?).

handgonnetoter Guest
    The cop seemed to know the law and I really don't understand why the guy being stopped just didn't show his ID? I would have. I can understand why the cop stopped him just to check him out, then let him go. I don't see an issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    The cop seemed to know the law and I really don't understand why the guy being stopped just didn't show his ID? I would have. I can understand why the cop stopped him just to check him out, then let him go. I don't see an issue here.

I agree showing an ID is a small thing but he wasnít legally required to present it so why do so? Iíve seen cops go absolutely butt monkey over someone legally declining to show ID. Iíve seen them foaming at the mouth (not literally) and playing all sorts of intimidation games over stupid little things like that,
    Thatís why you stand your ground to remind them of their limits
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

So then I'm wondering.............................

If everything is going well with an e-check and the LEO asks for ID do we turn the table and try to get his goat my saying something like, "Gee officer, I have the right to refuse your request, so I'm going to". Now, are we doing just what we say the LEO is doing? Fishing to try to get a response? Do we see how far we can push him before he makes a mistake? Come on guys, step into the real world.

Just because we can does not mean we must.

I honestly think that some people have a mental block that actually will not allow them to consider that it is in their best interests to be circumspect w/ the police. The erosion of rights occurs when we allow those in authority to take liberties they really aren’t authorized to take. (Yes, citizen I am aware that Open Carry is legal but if you continue to do it I will find a reason to arrest you) Pretty soon it becomes too much of a hassle to OC. (or less of a hassle to simply knuckle under and produce your papers.)

Watch an episode of C.O.P.S. sometime; in certain jurisdictions (they seem partial to South Florida and SO- CAL) it appears to be SOP for the cops to stop someone for walking through a parking lot and begin the interaction by ordering them to place their hands on the hood of the cruiser so the cop can frisk them. (IMO) we got there by tolerating that behavior from the police.

If I interact with the police I don’t know that officer, I don’t know his background I don’t know his stance on Citizen carry (I do know there are a lot of cops in Colorado from California who don’t like it.)

So why shouldn’t I assert my rights? I don’t have to be a jerk about it I’m not going to open the conversation w/ “Why are you detaining me?’ “I don’t have to talk to you.” but if you walk up to my table at Culver’s and demand my ID I’m sure going to want to know why before we go any further.

I would take that as a hostile interaction and I’d take advantage of every legal protection I had.

Last thought, OTOH if I’m sitting there clogging my arteries and the Officer walks up and says’ “ Hey guy we got a MWAG call and I have to clear it can you give me your driver’s license so I can check you for priors before I cut you loose I might actually do it

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast