Now THIS is a LEO encounter! - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is a LEO encounter!

Cop seemed reasonable to me

If this was real...

People like that (the dude carrying the firearm) give the rest of us a bad name.

Just give him your damn info...

Cool

It seems that people never want to give the LEOs a break. This cop didn't do anything wrong and the stop went well. Some people seem to never be satisfied regardless of how an encounter goes. If this guy had gone down the street and killed someone, some a$$hole would say the cop should have disarmed the man at the stop. LEOs can't win in the eyes of many!

In California does the law allow you to carry ammo?
    I mean the gun can be OC if unloaded, but can you carry bullets in your pocket for it?

cop did everything right

I think the cop did everything right - almost too cool - may be legitimate but gotta agree with Edsworld, can't rule out a stage.

7. WRONG, ever heard of Terry vs Ohio. He was absolutely within his rights to stop and frisk. Law also requires you to carry photo ID when carrying, CC or OC. Officer was right on, just not as tactical as he should have been.

I guess he was going to throw it at a bg

I really dont know why u would carry a unloaded weapon unless you were looking for attention. It is his right but I feel concealed carry 90 percent of the time is the way to go GOD BLESS AMERICA

The cop was giving "Jeremy" all kinds of opportunities to be a good guy about things. He's in Oceanside, which is right outside of the Camp Pendleton (Marine Corps Base) mainside gate. He (LEO) had every right to stop and question him. That's his job. I would argue the LEO was probably nicer than he really needed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegadelawdawg View Post
    WRONG, ever heard of Terry vs Ohio. He was absolutely within his rights to stop and frisk. Law also requires you to carry photo ID when carrying, CC or OC. Officer was right on, just not as tactical as he should have been.
    I think you need to go back and reread terry vs ohio. The police officer was not within his authority(its not a right).

The SCOTUS does state in the ruling that the simple act of carrying a weapon, where legal as per state law, DOES NOT constitute a valid reason to perform a terry stop, barring other aggravating factors.

In other words, unless your committing a crime or the LEO has RAS that you are about to commit one, as the defendants in the Terry case were, he cannot perform a Terry stop for just carrying a handgun.

I know this is an absolute fact for two reason;

1) I've read the entire Terry case, not some summary that only chose particulars and when I return from helping a friend fix his van, I will find the actual cite

2) I've stopped a LEO from trying to search me, because I was OCing, by stating the fact that me OCing did not give him RAS (I went into more detail with him than I am here)

So please don't spread that around or you are going to gravely misinform many people and cause them to give up their 4A when they shouldn't.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Thumbs up I won't begin to pretend I know the law in CA...

....BUT, I wholeheartedly agree, I wouldn't carry an "unloaded" firearm on my person. To me that's more dangerous than not carrying at all...

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    Now from what I hear it is legal to open carry in California, as long as the gun is not loaded????

Why bother then?
    I must admit, I’m probably in the same camp as the members who would just show their ID. Law Enforcement Officers have an inherently dangerous job. Day in and Day out they deal with encounters from one end of the spectrum to the other. Just by choosing their profession they have chosen to put themselves on the line to protect my liberties, and see to my safety. I have a lot of admiration and respect for the profession. And let’s just level the playing field for a moment. In an encounter with LEO, nether subject knows the other or their intent to 100% certainty. You have seconds at best to set the tone of how this encounter will go. I do believe the LEO and I do share a common passion, and that’s our desire to go home safe. So while the LAW does not require me to show my DL/ID unless I’m driving a motor vehicle, I would probably just show it anyway if asked. I’d want any LEO that encountered me to walk away with a good feeling about an encounter with an armed citizen just as much as an armed citizen wants to walk away with a good feeling about an encounter with a LEO. It’s not just about education; it’s also about building trust.
    Last edited by GuyNAndover; 01-16-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast