Now THIS is a LEO encounter!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now THIS is a LEO encounter!

Now THIS is a LEO encounter!

Judge for yourself. Does this cop know the law?

YouTube - Oceanside open carry

That looked more like a performance then a random Leo stop.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Seems to me that the officer(s) didn't hassle him more than was required, even giving up on the ID issue when he refused. I'd say +1 for the officer(s) for a good stop and a sense of humor.

It seems he was professional but he had no reason to stop and question the OCer in the first place OR proceed to then disarming him. He does NOT know the law.

Now from what I hear it is legal to open carry in California, as long as the gun is not loaded????

Why bother then?

You know, I've been teetering on the fence on this subject for a while now. My state doesn't have a stop and identify statue either, but do I really care if they want to ID me JUST to make sure i'm not a felon. Yes I know statistically felons would hide their firearm, but nothing like that is a guaranteed constant. If asked, I would probably comply with identification, but I wont say that anyone else should have to.

The parts I do have a problem with is him taking his weapon and frisking him for other weapons when no evidence existed that he had or was about to commit a crime. The SCOTUS even worded in their ruling on Terry stops, that the simple possession of a firearm does not, by itself, provide RAS that one is about to commit a crime. I don't care if it's for the officer to feel safe, if they want to feel safe, find a different job.

So all in all, I'd say the encounter went well. The LEO didn't try to intimidate the person for more information and once the person stated their rights and the lack of a state requirement to ID, the LEO respected those boundaries. He had a good demeanor and even cut up with the guy, shook the guys hand and left him alone.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post
    Now from what I hear it is legal to open carry in California, as long as the gun is not loaded????

Why bother then?
    I agree it's stupid. But if your not the primary point of attack for a criminal, you would have time to load, so I guess it's better than nothing.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

That was California. Perfectly legal for the officer to verify the weapon was unloaded. The officer did everything right, as did the guy who was carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by cabrera View Post

Why bother then?
    If that was your only option would you take it?

You do the best you can

I have to add that the fact that they are (apparently) both Marines changes everything . Being a Marine is like being a Mason you go the limit for a fellow Marine
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Treo,

To me an empty gun is just a club. For that I would carry a walking stick with a thick shaft and a knurled handle.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast