Open Carry, and where it gets rediculas. - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry, and where it gets rediculas.

Posturing and crappy attitudes just beg for LEO attention. Let the cops do there job then act tough later with your buddies.

I open carry every day, everywhere I go. I am a firm believer in the 2A and I am a legislative grunt who does everything in my power to protect the 2A. I believe that there should be no restrictions whatsoever as per the written word of the 2A. If you can afford a tank, you should be able to have one, plain and simple.

But that doesn't mean that you should drive it to work everyday.

Many OCers are trying to make a point and it's a good one. Some do take it a bit far, but it is still their right to do it. Those that do things like carry MBRs into restaurants are trying really hard to make the same point, a bit too hard imo, but it is their right to do it if the property owner agrees.

Do some of you that only carry handguns feel emasculated by those that carry rifles, much like many men that are unarmed have felt emasculated by those carrying handguns?

I may not agree with the way someone expresses their constitutionally protected rights, but I will fight to the death their right to express it. Men far greater than ANYONE here, wrote the constitution and bill of rights that outlined the society that ALL of you have enjoyed.

Do any of you really think you have sufficient basis to question their wisdom?

Do any of you really think you should be dishonoring the blood and lives that have been lost to defend those rights, just so you can sit here and dismantle what they fought for?

It's not up to anyone to decide the particulars of the 2A, it's simple english and there is no reading between the lines. If those two documents are not strictly adhered to, then all who have given of themselves to defend them, have done so in vain and it is a sad day indeed.

That being said, I still think it's stupid to OC a rifle. Keep it in your vehicle and OC a handgun. When your inside of a building, most times, you are outside the usefulness of a rifle. It would be cumbersome to wield in such close quarters anyway.

But does that mean that I would actually tell that to someone in public? No, because that is akin to depriving them of that right and I for one will not take one step down that slippery slope.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Thumbs up

Well Said!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    I open carry every day, everywhere I go. I am a firm believer in the 2A and I am a legislative grunt who does everything in my power to protect the 2A. I believe that there should be no restrictions whatsoever as per the written word of the 2A. If you can afford a tank, you should be able to have one, plain and simple.

But that doesn't mean that you should drive it to work everyday.

Many OCers are trying to make a point and it's a good one. Some do take it a bit far, but it is still their right to do it. Those that do things like carry MBRs into restaurants are trying really hard to make the same point, a bit too hard imo, but it is their right to do it if the property owner agrees.

Do some of you that only carry handguns feel emasculated by those that carry rifles, much like many men that are unarmed have felt emasculated by those carrying handguns?

I may not agree with the way someone expresses their constitutionally protected rights, but I will fight to the death their right to express it. Men far greater than ANYONE here, wrote the constitution and bill of rights that outlined the society that ALL of you have enjoyed.

Do any of you really think you have sufficient basis to question their wisdom?

Do any of you really think you should be dishonoring the blood and lives that have been lost to defend those rights, just so you can sit here and dismantle what they fought for?

It's not up to anyone to decide the particulars of the 2A, it's simple english and there is no reading between the lines. If those two documents are not strictly adhered to, then all who have given of themselves to defend them, have done so in vain and it is a sad day indeed.

That being said, I still think it's stupid to OC a rifle. Keep it in your vehicle and OC a handgun. When your inside of a building, most times, you are outside the usefulness of a rifle. It would be cumbersome to wield in such close quarters anyway.

But does that mean that I would actually tell that to someone in public? No, because that is akin to depriving them of that right and I for one will not take one step down that slippery slope.

Hi, I am trouble finding any info on which businesses and stores, etc..allow CC, or don't allow it..can't even find 'no gun zone' info..wth!! IN Lansing, MI..thanks!

First let me say that if this guy wants to carry an M4 then I say go for it if that is his choice. However, if you poke a beehive with a stick don't be surprised if the bees come out to see what up.

Most people equate carrying a personal protection firearm with carrying a pistol. I think that is because most people see the pistol as a defensive weapon and a long gun is seen as an offensive weapon. When people see a long gun carried in this manner it gets noticed.

Back to the video.

In a perfect world when the LEO's arrived one of the LEO's would have had enough sense to ask what is going on then upon seeing that everything was on the up and up they would have said to have a nice day and that is that. No need for the ID check, detaining the OC'ers or whatever. But this is not a perfect world. LEO's are not flawless and not all are experts in all laws. Sometimes it takes them a few minutes to figure things out. It was good to see that the OC'ers did not antagonize the situation and they cooperated.

Each of us must gauge what we are willing to put up with when we stand up for our rights. Sometimes it is the occasional encounter with an LEO who is not OC friendly. From what I have seen in the video they were inconvenienced for about 15 minutes and that was about it. They can file a claim against the LEO's for violating certain rights and they would certainly be within their rights to do so but in this case would it be worth it? That is not for me to decide. In a local case an OC'er was disarmed by several of the local LEO's at gun point while shopping at Wal-Mart. The guy is suing the officers and rightly so. I guess the bottom line here is to understand the risk of having these encounters, know the importance of cooperating with the LEO's during the encounter and then after wards deciding what, if any, action you should take.

Note: If you get an unwanted ad in your post it seems that if you hit the "Edit" button to edit you post then do nothing more then just "Save" the edited post the ad goes away.
    The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose. - Frederick Douglass

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyNAndover View Post
    I live in an open carry state, and some city's in the state have ordinances prohibiting OC. But out in the rural areas (predominantly) OC is OK, and even respected my most LE, mostly Sheriff. Certainly I'm a huge proponent of OC, CC, and their foundation 2A. But I personally would not go walking around down town with an M4 slung over my back. And quite frankly, I give kudos to LE for inquiring, sorting things out, and letting everyone get on with their day (in this case). I don't expect my opinion to popular with everyone, but I prefer to just CC. It raises less questions, it's less provocative.
    I'm with you on this one. The less attention I draw to myself the happier I am. It does not bother me when people open carry around me at all, to bad though it makes some people nervous. I don't understand the deal with the rifle though, because that would just be a pain in the butt. I know I got tired of carrying a rifle in the Marines sometimes.

I skipped a couple pages and didn't quote everything I wanted to so as to not run on.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    That group on the Video aren't helping Gun owners, they are helping the Anti Gun people.
    Some people would say that OC'ers period are not helping.

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    "Common sense." Isn't that the Brady Bunch's favorite phrase?
    This. People throw that catch phrase around way to much. Usually when they want to disagree with anothers actions and put restrictions on those actions.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanjo View Post
    I was brought up around Guns (I'm 65) and everyone I knew carried a S&W Snub Nose when traveling, So believe me I am in support of people being able to carry a Gun for self defense. If I was in a Restaurant in the USA and someone was allowed to enter with a M4, I personally would fill unsafe and would not take my Family there. OC has a place, that's not the place, not in the USA. I've been eating in Israel and had people walk in with, cut off blue jeans and "T" shirt, while carrying a Machine Gun. This wasn't good on my digestive system, I had no idea whose side they were on. I understand that this is necessary in Israel, but not in the USA, thing are not that bad yet, hopefully it never will be. Antagonizing the Police is not the way to help this cause, The Police that I have been around support Carrying for SD, this will change if the Police don't fell safe. And don't think the Law's won't be changed. Everyone will loose.
    Where does it say that you have the "right" to feel safe???? Imagine all the things that would be banned in order to make everyone "feel" safe.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Your really starting to sound like a Mall ninja! It's not the public's job to engage bag guys unless they are between you and the exit. What good would having a long gun be Vs a sniper? If your talking about the DC snipers a long gun would have been useless as their sniper hide was in the truck of a car. Even if they had been in a field you cant just take a knee and start shooting.
    It's not the publics job to engage a bad guy? Really? I wonder how many lives have been saved because someone stepped in to stop a threat that wasn't directed at them. I sure hope your never around if I need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    BS the police can not order you to shut of your camera. Other wise news crews would not be able to report. As the wire taping law is concern that applies to telephones not video cameras that are not hidden. Other wise the videotape of the police officers beating Rodney King would never had been shown.

As someone pointed out the laws on this vary from state to state. Look into pen cameras or recorders that can not be shut off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyNAndover View Post
    Well Said!!
    That was a good post.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I skipped a couple pages and didn't quote everything I wanted to so as to not run on.

Some people would say that OC'ers period are not helping.

This. People throw that catch phrase around way to much. Usually when they want to disagree with anothers actions and put restrictions on those actions.

Where does it say that you have the "right" to feel safe???? Imagine all the things that would be banned in order to make everyone "feel" safe.

It's not the publics job to engage a bad guy? Really? I wonder how many lives have been saved because someone stepped in to stop a threat that wasn't directed at them. I sure hope your never around if I need help.

As someone pointed out the laws on this vary from state to state. Look into pen cameras or recorders that can not be shut off easily.

That was a good post.
    In the context he was talking about no it's not the public's job to start sending rounds down range. If the threat is a visible one that is verified and you have a good back stop. Then yes if needed to save life's someone could stop the threat if they felt the need. Dropping a knee and just letting rounds off with a rifle when the threat is nowhere insight is not the way to go. This idea that because you carry a firearm you must run around engaging every threat that pops up is nuts. It's up to each person how he or she will handle that situation.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

10. My opinon

I believe in OCing and CCing but lets get serious, oc an m-4 into a Ponderosa? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by eaccents View Post
    I'm with GuyNAndover--carrying concealed allows you your rights without provoking those around you. Are we the minority opinion???

Everyone has rights. Sure we have the right to bear arms, but is our right to bear arms more important than the rights of others to eat a peaceful meal at their local Ponderosa? Is it more important than the rights of Ponderosa to try to run a business since customers are leaving because your run-in with the cops seems to be escalating?

I carry a gun every day, and yes, my rights guarantee that I CAN. But my rights to carry aren't more important than the rights of others--who may or may not share my point of view, my sense of comfort around firearms, or the knowledge that I am not bent on harming anyone--so I carry concealed in places where open carry isn't common.

Carrying a gun isn't all about ME. It is about my peace of mind. I carry concealed so that those around me can have the same.
    You are luck to live in an area where you can CC. I can't, OC is my only legal option.
    Why do I carry a gun? Well, because I can't carry a cop!
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast