Open Carry, and where it gets rediculas. - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry, and where it gets rediculas.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Texas has concealed carry after a tragedy in which many folks were killed in a cafeteria do not take your business to anyone or place that does not support the laws, the Ponderosa does not appear to be supportive of the law. Sounds like the Ponderosa and the Police need to review the law.
    They are well with in their rights to turn away customers with firearms per state law. It would have been a none issue had the one guy not been packing a Ar-15.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    FYI it has always been accepted, the laws have always been on the books in states that allow OC. ..... It's not my job as a gun owner to educate the sheep all they need to know is it's legal and it's OUR THE PEOPLES RIGHT! Sick of hearing "How are they going to get educated that it's legal" "It's our job to teach them and expose them to this". It maybe your job but it's not my job last time I check I do not receive a pay check from the NRA or my STATE/TOWN for firearm law education. You don't like that I'm OC/CC/ the fact I own firearms well then in the words of Porky the Pig "PPPISS OFF!!" My only job is to inform the responding officer that my actions are legal.

AL
    Proverbs 25:28 - A man without self control is like a city broken into and left without walls.

They are well with in their rights to turn away customers with firearms per state law. It would have been a none issue had the one guy not been packing a Ar-15.
    Now you're debating an incident that's about a year old. Originally, it was a planned get together for what was going to be an informal meeting of Michigan Open Carry. I don't believe it was actually organized as an official meeting for MIOC. The meeting had been OK'd by Ponderosa management. Thing was, no one informed them that anyone would be bringing a rifle to the event.

As I understand the chain of events, the assistant manager contacted police to ask if OCing a rifle was legal. (Big mistake there, NEVER call the police to ask what's legal.) He wasn't requesting any police presence, that was a decision made by the dispatcher, or possibly it even went up the chain of command. In any event, Police were sent, people were questioned, no one was arrested, as no laws were broken. The one good thing to come out of it, Lansing PD has a better understanding of Open Carry.

While I question the wisdom of OCing a rifle, I have to point out, it is perfectly legal to do so. However, I recommend against that particular practice.

Oh, and my understanding is, OCing is welcome at that Ponderosa, but please leave your rifles in the car.
    Last edited by Big Gay Al; 01-04-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added last sentence.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Now you're debating an incident that's about a year old. Originally, it was a planned get together for what was going to be an informal meeting of Michigan Open Carry. I don't believe it was actually organized as an official meeting for MIOC. The meeting had been OK'd by Ponderosa management. Thing was, no one informed them that anyone would be bringing a rifle to the event.

As I understand the chain of events, the assistant manager contacted police to ask if OCing a rifle was legal. (Big mistake there, NEVER call the police to ask what's legal.) He wasn't requesting any police presence, that was a decision made by the dispatcher, or possibly it even went up the chain of command. In any event, Police were sent, people were questioned, no one was arrested, as no laws were broken. The one good thing to come out of it, Lansing PD has a better understanding of Open Carry.

While I question the wisdom of OCing a rifle, I have to point out, it is perfectly legal to do so. However, I recommend against that particular practice.

Oh, and my understanding is, OCing is welcome at that Ponderosa, but please leave your rifles in the car.
    Thank you for comfirming what I have already said/suspected. As I stated above it would have been a none issue had they just been open carrying a handguns and not a Ar-15.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

The officer can order you to turn it off and failure to do so leads to you in cuffs and it still gets turned off. Things called wire taping laws and in most states you must have both parties permission to audio and video record. This law does not apply to the government. Lets say you leave it on without the officer knowing and then post said footage online to youtube. They can still arrest you under that wiretapping law. So this notion that having a video camera makes you so much safer is BS. All it takes is a order to shut it off and their goes your video footage.
    Not here in MI a leo's job is public display and you do not need their permission to tape the job that they are doing in the public's eye each day.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyNAndover View Post
    Apparently there are "questions" because we are having this discussion, thus it's "questionable". See, told you I have a simple mind. :-) I said in my first response my opinion would not be popular will everyone. But I personally did'nt feel carrying the M4 was good judgment. I never said anything was less than legal. Believe me I get it, I don't need to be educated. I'm also entitled to my opinion, as are you... Part of this type of "education" process is getting people to notice and talk about it. isn't that's whats happening here?
    I respect each person opinion, I was just asking questions that may have helped lead you to questions you meant to ask. What is it they are doing other than eating dinner that is questionable? Like mentioned in the video they do not stop everyone walking down the street to see if they have any warrants, there for there is no reason for them to stop everyone legally carrying a firearm to see if it is registered to them (in this state it does not even have to be registered in your name for you to carry it if you have a concealed pistol permit.

Quote Originally Posted by emt232004 View Post
    (in this state it does not even have to be registered for you to carry it if you have a concealed pistol permit.
    For my own edification, Where exactly in the Michigan State law is this written? Inquiring mind want to know.
    AL
    Proverbs 25:28 - A man without self control is like a city broken into and left without walls.

Quote Originally Posted by emt232004 View Post
    I respect each person opinion, I was just asking questions that may have helped lead you to questions you meant to ask. What is it they are doing other than eating dinner that is questionable? Like mentioned in the video they do not stop everyone walking down the street to see if they have any warrants, there for there is no reason for them to stop everyone legally carrying a firearm to see if it is registered to them (in this state it does not even have to be registered for you to carry it if you have a concealed pistol permit.
    If you live in Michigan, your pistol DOES need to be registered, whether you have a CPL or not. Now, if you're visiting from another state, and have a resident permit/license to (FYI, it doesn't have to be a "license to carry," since, from what I've been told by people who know, the Illinois FOID card will qualify people to OC in this state, and that is not a license to carry!) from that state, you can carry your pistol in Michigan, without having to register it, in Michigan.

What Michigan CPL holders do not have to do is, we don't have to get a "Permit to Purchase." This is the little piece of paper than Non-cpl holders have to get from their local PD/Sheriff's office BEFORE they can buy a pistol, and this is what the info is put on, by the seller and purchaser and sent to local PD/Sheriff. The CPL holder who's buying a pistol uses a form called RI-060. This is what a CPL holder uses instead of a "permit to purchase."

So much for turning into a paperless society.

Thank you for comfirming what I have already said/suspected. As I stated above it would have been a none issue had they just been open carrying a Ar-15.
    I got no argument with that statement. Legal or not, I don't think it was a good idea. It stopped the meeting from taking place as planned, and brought unwanted attention from the police. But there are people who think there's nothing wrong in what the person did who brought the rifle. To them I say, there's wrong (as in illegal) and then there's wrong (as in ill advised). I think the latter applies in this case.

HOWEVER, that is simply my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by asaling View Post
    For my own edification, Where exactly in the Michigan State law is this written? Inquiring mind want to know.
    3. Is it okay if I loan my pistol to a friend?

MCL 28.432 An individual can carry, possess, use or transport a pistol belonging to another individual, if the pistol is properly licensed and inspected under the Act, and the individual carrying, possessing, using or transporting the pistol has obtained a license to carry a pistol concealed permit from Michigan.
    MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
    Act 372 of 1927
    ***** 28.432 THIS SECTION IS AMENDED EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 15, 2011: See 28.432.amended *****

28.432 Inapplicability of MCL 28.422; amendatory act as “Janet Kukuk act”.
    Sec. 12.

(1) Section 2 does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A police or correctional agency of the United States or of this state or any subdivision of this state.

(b) The United States army, air force, navy, or marine corps.

(c) An organization authorized by law to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.

(d) The national guard, armed forces reserves, or other duly authorized military organization.

(e) A member of an entity or organization described in subdivisions (a) through (d) for a pistol while engaged in the course of his or her duties with that entity or while going to or returning from those duties.

(f) A United States citizen holding a license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by another state.

(g) The regular and ordinary transportation of a pistol as merchandise by an authorized agent of a person licensed to manufacture firearms or a licensed dealer.

(h) Purchasing, owning, carrying, possessing, using, or transporting an antique firearm. As used in this subdivision, "antique firearm" means that term as defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.

(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.

(2) The amendatory act that added subsection (1)(h) shall be known and may be cited as the "Janet Kukuk act".

History: 1927, Act 372, Eff. Sept. 5, 1927 ;-- CL 1929, 16761 ;-- CL 1948, 28.432 ;-- Am. 1964, Act 216, Eff. Aug. 28, 1964 ;-- Am. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 99, Imd. Eff. May 13, 2004 ;-- Am. 2006, Act 75, Eff. July 1, 2006 ;-- Am. 2008, Act 195, Eff. Jan. 7, 2009
    Popular Name: CCW
    Popular Name: Concealed Weapons
    Popular Name: CPL
    Popular Name: Right to Carry
    Popular Name: Shall Issue

© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan
    Michigan Legislature - Section 28.432

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast