Open Carry, and where it gets rediculas. - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Carry, and where it gets rediculas.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    If you live in Michigan, your pistol DOES need to be registered, whether you have a CPL or not. Now, if you're visiting from another state, and have a resident permit/license to (FYI, it doesn't have to be a "license to carry," since, from what I've been told by people who know, the Illinois FOID card will qualify people to OC in this state, and that is not a license to carry!) from that state, you can carry your pistol in Michigan, without having to register it, in Michigan.

What Michigan CPL holders do not have to do is, we don't have to get a "Permit to Purchase." This is the little piece of paper than Non-cpl holders have to get from their local PD/Sheriff's office BEFORE they can buy a pistol, and this is what the info is put on, by the seller and purchaser and sent to local PD/Sheriff. The CPL holder who's buying a pistol uses a form called RI-060. This is what a CPL holder uses instead of a "permit to purchase."

So much for turning into a paperless society.
    See my above post, What I was stating that it has to be registered but it does not have to be registered to the person carrying it at the time if they have a cpl. Reference the female officer in the ponderosa video wanting his information to see if the pistol is registered she was blowing smoke to try and get his information.

Quote Originally Posted by emt232004 View Post
    3. Is it okay if I loan my pistol to a friend?
    Of course you can, but it still has to be registered, to the owner.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

See my above post, What I was stating that it has to be registered but it does not have to be registered to the person carrying it at the time if they have a cpl. Reference the female officer in the ponderosa video wanting his information to see if the pistol is registered she was blowing smoke to try and get his information.
    That whole incident was one big fiasco. The OCers there were doing nothing illegal, but the police were pulling out all the stops trying to get information. Too bad for them, they ran into some people who know the law.

And yes, I know what you're talking about. Thing is, your original comment should have been a little more qualified. Instead, it appeared like a blanket statement. That's why my comments about pistol registration came about.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    That whole incident was one big fiasco. The OCers there were doing nothing illegal, but the police were pulling out all the stops trying to get information. Too bad for them, they ran into some people who know the law.

And yes, I know what you're talking about. Thing is, your original comment should have been a little more qualified. Instead, it appeared like a blanket statement. That's why my comments about pistol registration came about.

Must suck to have to register your firearms. In our great state you don't have to register them at all. They cant even keep a record of sale past a set amount of days. My mom is from MI (Kalamazoo) her side of the family lives up their. I have never been up there to visit them.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post

Must suck to have to register your firearms. In our great state you don't have to register them at all. They cant even keep a record of sale past a set amount of days. My mom is from MI (Kalamazoo) her side of the family lives up their. I have never been up there to visit them.
    It's not that big of a deal. At least it's not been for me. But we're working on getting rid of the handgun registration laws. And now that we've got a mostly pro-gun majority in both houses of the legislature, I imagine it will be done soon.

Geographically speaking, I think you're more "up there" than we are.

I sincerely hope this helps.....

I respect each person opinion, I was just asking questions that may have helped lead you to questions you meant to ask.
    OK, but though my mind is simple, it's capable for formulating it's own questions, which I'll clarify for your benefit.

What is it they are doing other than eating dinner that is questionable? ...................
    Other than eating dinner? Are your serious? (clarification starts here) As I indicated, I believe carrying the M4 (to dinner) is a bit over the top. Now if I was at a chow hall in Iraq, or in a remote region of Afghanistan getting ready to open an MRE, yea an M4 at dinner would be reasonable.

I carry nearly 100% of the time it's legal for me to do so. And I'm very comfortable with a solid 45 ACP at my disposal should the NEED arise. I can think of no reason I'd need to carry an M4. BUT, if I did feel that need, I would. And putting the shoe on the other foot. If I was in a restraint in my community, and someone had an M4 strapped on their back, and sitting across the room, I'd be paying attention to them just a little more than I otherwise might. Why? Because it's unusual, and I don't get why they'd need it here, nor do I know their intentions. If they were holding an AX, I'd watch a little closer as well, for the same reasons.

In the case of this story, I stand by my opinion that LE did it's job well. Once they felt/determined all was OK, they moved on. That's they're job, check things that are questionable (unusual), ensure the safety of the community. Obviously in this case all was OK. No harm, no foul.

But "what if" there was a group of bad guys, and someone with an M4 who intended to do harm, and LE did'nt come when called because, well, OC is legal. Yea, we don't normally see M4s, and groups of people with side arms, BUT OCs legal so we're gonna go look for speeders, and j-walkers. And "what-if" said bad guys mowed down a family in the restaurant. Then someone would have a lawsuit against LE, and the tragic loss of human life.

When the call comes in, LE does not know which one of these scenarios is true until they inquire. This is my opinion, I think it stands on it's own merit to anyone who is reasonable. But I also know there are other opinions...

I conceal carry to protect myself. Never had a reason to carry a video or audio recorder just because I'm carrying a firearm.

The OC crowd is a minority of firearms owners. It's my perception that many are out just looking for confrontations. Forums are full of their stories. Many I believe are just cop haters and enjoy trying to get cops in trouble. I know a small group of ocers that have taken over a once well respected forum and turned it into thier own agenda sounding board. My impression of the majority of ocers is they have problem with any authority. I haven't gotten involved in a oc/cc discussion in years because I don't have much respect for the rabid oc crowd. Really most of them seem like children throwing temper tantrums and I just don't have time for them.

Now there are some ocers who oc and mind their own business without trying to create a scandal. Those are the ocers I DO respect.

Just a few points...

Does the fact that "you" are "comfortable" with CC and prefer that mean everyone must be? Why? What makes your comfort zone more important or relevant than another's? I find it interesting that many CCers wish to force others to conceal, but I have yet to see an OCer who wishes to force everyone to carry openly.

Also...as a retired LEO, I must question the attitude that a police officer is responsible for (or even justified in) ascertaining whether someone might commit a crime in the future. The aparently legal carrying of a firearm is not RAS that a crime might be imminent...regardless of what the firearm might be (unless, of course, it is an obviously illegal weapon).

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Just a few points...

Does the fact that "you" are "comfortable" with CC and prefer that mean everyone must be? Why? What makes your comfort zone more important or relevant than another's? I find it interesting that many CCers wish to force others to conceal, but I have yet to see an OCer who wishes to force everyone to carry openly.

Also...as a retired LEO, I must question the attitude that a police officer is responsible for (or even justified in) ascertaining whether someone might commit a crime in the future. The aparently legal carrying of a firearm is not RAS that a crime might be imminent...regardless of what the firearm might be (unless, of course, it is an obviously illegal weapon).
    What might that be? As I have said before I can walk into my Class 3 dealers shop pay for a 40mm grenade launcher and a m249saw. Wait 3-6 months for the AFT to do it's thing then go back and pick them up. I can then turn around and OC both of them through town and into malls and restraints and so on.. But just because I can and it's legal for me to do so DOES NOT MEAN I SHOULD. OC the above items serves no more point then OC a long gun. I have no problem with OC. Others have stated the same thing we have a problem with the LOOK AT ME crowd who HIJACKED oc.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    What might that be? As I have said before I can walk into my Class 3 dealers shop pay for a 40mm grenade launcher and a m249saw. Wait 3-6 months for the AFT to do it's thing then go back and pick them up. I can then turn around and OC both of them through town and into malls and restraints and so on.. But just because I can and it's legal for me to do so DOES NOT MEAN I SHOULD. OC the above items serves no more point then OC a long gun. I have no problem with OC. Others have stated the same thing we have a problem with the LOOK AT ME crowd who HIJACKED oc.
    About one thing you are correct...there is really no obviously illegal weapon so my exception was not needed.

As far as the other, your (and some others' here) assumption regarding the "motive" of OCers is the epitome of arrogance combined with ignorance.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast