LEO Issue!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: LEO Issue!

  1. LEO Issue!

    Many years ago, back before licenses were even being handed out, 1975 it actually was, I was stopped in Ennis, Texas by a Texas DPS Trooper. I was a truckdriver and ran from Dallas to Houston and back six times a week. I had previously gotten a speeding ticket in Ennis and gave it to my attorney to take care of for me, he talked to the Justice of the Peace and sent him a check for the fine.

    It turns out the JP didn't take checks and issued a warrant for my arrest! So, here I come driving along carrying my Smith & Wesson Model 36 in an ankle holster and get stopped. The DPS officer tells me I have a warrant and he's going to have to take me in. Of course I'm stunned because I think all has already been taken care of and I'd not had a ticket in many years.

    I was told to get what I needed out of the truck and lock it up and give him the keys, which I did. He went through my little overnight bag I carried and looked through everything, then patted me down to the waist. I kept thinking.. I'm really up the creek now, but he didn't find the .38 Next we go to the Ennis City Jail, this place was like it was out of the cowboy days, probably from the 1800's, the jail part was in the cellar. The jailer asked the DPS officer if I'd been patted down and he responded, "yep he's clean" .. so off to the basement I go with a loaded .38 on my ankle.

    A couple of hours later two deputy sheriff's arrive to transport me to the county seat in Waxahachie, Texas. They ask me if I'd been patted down already and I said "yep", and they did a quick check again stopping at the waist! So here we go all the way over to Waxahachie with me riding unhandcuffed in the backseat of their patrol car with a loaded .38 on my ankle. Sheeesh... I was really getting paranoid about it, but knew how much worse it'd be for me if they found it.

    Waxahachie was only about 15 miles away, but the jail was much nicer and new at least. The same thing happened there, they asked the deputies if I'd been patted down and they said, "yes he has" .. so they walk me to the cells and told me to go to the last one on the right. These all have solid metal walls that you can't see in, so they open the door electronically and as I step into the cell there's two women inside. Of course I got a big grin on my face, so did the ladies, well maybe they weren't really ladies, but what the heck ... but in less than 5 seconds the deputy was yelling at me to get back out of there and go to this other cell, that he'd forgotten about the women in there! I called him a "spoilsport" as I walked into the other cell!

    Anyway, finally after about four hours my wife found Waxahachie, she'd never heard of it before, and got me out of jail. Her first question was, "did they take your gun" .. I said, "no, they never found it" .. omg I was so relieved. I've carried all my life I guess, I've had my weapon save my life for sure and certain two times, and one other time got me out of a bad situation. I truly believe in the CCW laws, and I also realize that had my weapon been discovered back then I may not have that right today, but then I might not have been here today had I not had it on me at other times back then also!

    I don't know what makes people go ape and start shooting everyone around them, I don't think I'll ever be one who does such a thing. I guess it's something in your mind that snaps and you lose control of your thinking or something, but I truly value my right to carry, and I value my record being clean enough to be allowed to carry also. In 1975 when the above happened I was 23, I'm about two weeks away from 56 now. I do all I can to not dirty this right by misusing or mishandling my weapon in a manner that would upset others and make the anti-gun crybabies start screaming!

    Anyway, I just thought I'd share this story since it's a true one. In all honesty I desperately wanted to let those two police agencies know the mistake they'd made back then, but I was just too afraid to do so at the time. I guess 32 years down the road it doesn't matter anymore, but still I imagine they'd all have messed themselves had they known I had that on my ankle!

    Regards,
    SnowCajun

  2.   
  3. #2
    There was a woman down here who went in on a DUI and they never found her gun until it fell out her jail outfit while going to court via county "taxi". She had flushed all the bullets but couldn't get rid of the gun.

    Crazy kids!
    Unapologetic American
    NRA/IDPA/USPSA/GSSF

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    East coast of Florida
    Posts
    191
    Really good story SnowCajun. I can't wait for the next chapter>> :D
    When I retire I am going to move up North and drive slow!!

  5. #4
    I tend to carry in the smart carry holster. I have a few buddies who work as LEO in another state. They all know I carry and of course give the usual jokes about it. A few weeks ago I ran into them on country road in the high desert. Joking around one of them put me on the car hood and did a pat down trying to find my gun. He missed it and assumed I was not carrying. I then received about a 20 minute lecture on how important it was that I carry. After the little lecture I dropped the bomb and reveiled the semi-auto and 30 rounds I happened to have on me. (Hills Have Eyes type region) Needless to say a little education and school of thought went a long ways. He does much better pat downs now. :)
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by sdf2000 View Post
    Really good story SnowCajun. I can't wait for the next chapter>> :D
    No more story or 2nd chapter, sorry! Just told ya like it happened and that's all there was to it...

    SnowCajun

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowCajun View Post
    Many years ago, back before licenses were even being handed out, 1975 it actually was, I was stopped in Ennis, Texas by a Texas DPS Trooper. I was a truckdriver and ran from Dallas to Houston and back six times a week. I had previously gotten a speeding ticket in Ennis and gave it to my attorney to take care of for me, he talked to the Justice of the Peace and sent him a check for the fine.

    It turns out the JP didn't take checks and issued a warrant for my arrest! So, here I come driving along carrying my Smith & Wesson Model 36 in an ankle holster and get stopped. The DPS officer tells me I have a warrant and he's going to have to take me in. Of course I'm stunned because I think all has already been taken care of and I'd not had a ticket in many years.

    I was told to get what I needed out of the truck and lock it up and give him the keys, which I did. He went through my little overnight bag I carried and looked through everything, then patted me down to the waist. I kept thinking.. I'm really up the creek now, but he didn't find the .38 Next we go to the Ennis City Jail, this place was like it was out of the cowboy days, probably from the 1800's, the jail part was in the cellar. The jailer asked the DPS officer if I'd been patted down and he responded, "yep he's clean" .. so off to the basement I go with a loaded .38 on my ankle.

    A couple of hours later two deputy sheriff's arrive to transport me to the county seat in Waxahachie, Texas. They ask me if I'd been patted down already and I said "yep", and they did a quick check again stopping at the waist! So here we go all the way over to Waxahachie with me riding unhandcuffed in the backseat of their patrol car with a loaded .38 on my ankle. Sheeesh... I was really getting paranoid about it, but knew how much worse it'd be for me if they found it.

    Waxahachie was only about 15 miles away, but the jail was much nicer and new at least. The same thing happened there, they asked the deputies if I'd been patted down and they said, "yes he has" .. so they walk me to the cells and told me to go to the last one on the right. These all have solid metal walls that you can't see in, so they open the door electronically and as I step into the cell there's two women inside. Of course I got a big grin on my face, so did the ladies, well maybe they weren't really ladies, but what the heck ... but in less than 5 seconds the deputy was yelling at me to get back out of there and go to this other cell, that he'd forgotten about the women in there! I called him a "spoilsport" as I walked into the other cell!

    Anyway, finally after about four hours my wife found Waxahachie, she'd never heard of it before, and got me out of jail. Her first question was, "did they take your gun" .. I said, "no, they never found it" .. omg I was so relieved. I've carried all my life I guess, I've had my weapon save my life for sure and certain two times, and one other time got me out of a bad situation. I truly believe in the CCW laws, and I also realize that had my weapon been discovered back then I may not have that right today, but then I might not have been here today had I not had it on me at other times back then also!

    I don't know what makes people go ape and start shooting everyone around them, I don't think I'll ever be one who does such a thing. I guess it's something in your mind that snaps and you lose control of your thinking or something, but I truly value my right to carry, and I value my record being clean enough to be allowed to carry also. In 1975 when the above happened I was 23, I'm about two weeks away from 56 now. I do all I can to not dirty this right by misusing or mishandling my weapon in a manner that would upset others and make the anti-gun crybabies start screaming!

    Anyway, I just thought I'd share this story since it's a true one. In all honesty I desperately wanted to let those two police agencies know the mistake they'd made back then, but I was just too afraid to do so at the time. I guess 32 years down the road it doesn't matter anymore, but still I imagine they'd all have messed themselves had they known I had that on my ankle!

    Regards,
    SnowCajun

    That's surprising, SnowCajun....I thought that once you were carrying an "illegal" gun, that it would start going off at people. Imagine how many times that were presented when the gun could have shot those police officers. Was it malfunctioning? By all liberal reasoning, it should've jumped out of the holster and gone off, making it a cop killer. Maybe you weren't using the Black Talon "Cop Killer" bullets....I don't know, I'm at a loss.
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

  8. Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    That's surprising, SnowCajun....I thought that once you were carrying an "illegal" gun, that it would start going off at people. Imagine how many times that were presented when the gun could have shot those police officers. Was it malfunctioning? By all liberal reasoning, it should've jumped out of the holster and gone off, making it a cop killer. Maybe you weren't using the Black Talon "Cop Killer" bullets....I don't know, I'm at a loss.
    I know what you mean, if you listen to the anti's these days that's about what you'd expect to hear. They find it totally unbelievable that anyone carrying a weapon isn't out to do all the harm they possibly can to the human race! It's beyond their ability to comprehend that we're acutally only interested in protecting ourselves and loved ones, or even those around us from being abused or robbed, or even defending a police officer in trouble while trying to uphold the very laws that protect us.

    I have to laugh though, I wonder how many of these anti-gun people are smokers, I mean cigarettes kill 440,000 people per year, not to mention what the secondhand smoke does to their families futures, compared to 100,000 gun deaths per year. Oh well, that's a totally different debate! :)

    SnowCajun

  9. #8
    Sounds like time for retraining.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  10. WOW. I'm an LEO and I intend to share this story with some fellow LEO's.
    Nowadays, at least where I work, every single time a prisoner is hand to another officer or a booking jailer he/she is searched as if it was the first time. I also search the rear part of my vehicle including removing the entire seat every single time I transport, before and after. That was if I find drugs or a weapon then the charge will always stick.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by 1818 View Post
    WOW. I'm an LEO and I intend to share this story with some fellow LEO's.
    Nowadays, at least where I work, every single time a prisoner is hand to another officer or a booking jailer he/she is searched as if it was the first time. I also search the rear part of my vehicle including removing the entire seat every single time I transport, before and after. That was if I find drugs or a weapon then the charge will always stick.
    I applaud you for being that thorough! That's how it should be and that's what we all should expect from professionals like yourself, that protects us both. If I were to come along and get stopped again for a ticket my lawyer didn't handle correctly, your thoroughness would keep me from being blamed for someone elses drugs under the back seat that I never put there!

    What happened to me 33 years ago is hardly a representation of LEO's today I feel, we all recognize that, yet still it happened. In a way I truly wanted like crazy to tell them, but I just couldn't, not while I was in jail anyway, that would have just stupidly tacked on more trouble for myself. Back then it was a different world and police agencies have changed greatly and have learned from the mistakes of those who have come before them! I truly battled this within my own conscience, even after being released. I knew that their being so lax at their jobs they were not only endangering themselves but other officers around them as well. Yet being as young as I was I never said a thing! What I really should have done was to send in an annonymous letter explaining what had happened! I don't know if that would have helped though!

    I'm a very big supporter of our LEO's all across the country, you guys put your lives on the line for us every single day you go out to do your jobs and that's very much appreciated! I know people don't always tell you that, probably because they don't see you until they've screwed up in life, but I think deep down most of us feel that way.

    SnowCajun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast