Texas State Trooper - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas State Trooper

Thumbs down Appointed Duties

Quote Originally Posted by jsdinTexas View Post
    Sorry, been gone for a while - the appointed duties are to make your life miserable and with any luck offer a ride to the station where we can relax, drink some coffee, hit the bathroom, and fill out some paperwork.
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

3. Texas law requires that you provide both your ID or DL and CHL if asked for identification and you are carrying. You are only required to provide ID or DL if asked for identification and you are NOT carrying. This is a relatively recent change, prior you were required to provide both whether carrying or not so you were within your rights.

That said, it is considered polite to provide both whenever asked whether or not you are carrying. You can make an argument that you are giving up your rights but that holds very little sway with me. Texas LEOs are among the very best in the country when it comes to supporting RTKBA and concealed carry. There are many stories about CHL license holders becoming exposed in public and LEO politely walking near and quietly saying something like "your showing" without ever asking for ID or making a scene. There are also many stories about CHL holders being issued warnings rather than tickets because LEOs know they are dealing with a reputable resident of the state rather than an unknown person.

My CHL class was given by a 24 year veteran Sargent of the Fort Worth PD. It was a wonderful experience and I would venture to say you couldn't find anyone in the state more supportive of RTKBA than he. I will always return that respect for my rights with the courtesy of providing both my ID and CHL whether or not it is required by the law.

It is an easy step for me to show the CHL with the DL, carrying or not; a small bit of politeness can go a long way with a LEO in a high stress job. The requirement to show the CHL only if carrying was made very recently; probably the LEO was not familiar with the change. Chillin' a bit is a good thing.

Letter of the law.

If the LEO doesn't like that, HE is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Letter of the law.

+1 on that one!!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Letter of the law.

But, but, but.... that's being impolite! I don't know how or why, but some people say that it is.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123