LEO May Need Help? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LEO May Need Help?

Not my job to assist with LEOs unless they request, but I wont drive by and not help a downed officer EVER!
    Pretty much sums it up for me.

HOWEVER! An "armed" civilian jumping into a "fray" that involves LEOs is something that needs to be done VERY carefully; lest you be seen as another BG. (Taking your gun out to "help" an officer is a very good way to get SHOT by either the BGs or responding officers.)

Bottom Line?
    I may help; but, my gun stays holstered unless it is ABSOUTELY needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Pretty much sums it up for me.

HOWEVER! An "armed" civilian jumping into a "fray" that involves LEOs is something that needs to be done VERY carefully; lest you be seen as another BG. (Taking your gun out to "help" an officer is a very good way to get SHOT by either the BGs or responding officers.)

Bottom Line?
    I may help; but, my gun stays holstered unless it is ABSOUTELY needed.
    I agree 100%. My assumption is that if these guys are capable and brazen enough to take out a LEO, they should have NO problem with me. Knowing that it is my assumption that the gun would probably be needed.

I dont like these kind of scenario questions so much. Just one of those things that screws you no matter what you do.

Scenario 1: I don't interfere with an ongoing police matter which doesn't concern me. It's the job of the police to enforce the law, not mine.

Scenario 2: It depends upon where I am. If I'm here in Ohio, I will seriously consider helping the police if they look like they're in trouble and are not prevailing. If I'm in Chicago visiting relatives, I avoid ALL contact with the Chicago PD. I CANNOT assume that a Chicago cop involved in a violent encounter is not the unlawful aggressor. I don't have any idea what they're doing, don't want to know and am not getting involved.

This happened to me about 10 years ago.
    Haven't been on the job for 15 years.
    Summer Sunday evening about 8pm.
    Unarmed coming from daughters house after a bar-b-que.
    Driving across a rural bridge that had a County Sheriffs car stopped in the middle with lights on.
    I observe the officer talking to what later turned out to be a jumper.
    I drive by slowly and just as I am passing them I can see that things are not going well.
    Guy is screaming at officer.
    From rear view mirror I see the Officer and subject locked in combat.
    What now seems like acting on instinct
    Throw truck into park, exit truck and start running towards the fray.
    Take my right hand and place on Hip to............grab my a cell phone.
    Thats when it hit me, Hey, moron, you're not a cop anymore.
    Helped the guy anyway restrain the wacko until he was cuffed.
    Officer said thanks. I got in truck and drove home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12