Pulled over
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over

Pulled over

Well guys and girls I was pulled over for speeding tonight was going about 48 MPH in a 35 MPH zones. I did what I have read here and on other sites pulled to the side of the road opened my window turn on the interior light and turned the car off. The officer walk to my car and asked if i new why I was pulled over I answered I either did not changed lane properly or was speeding well it happens i was speeding.

When the officer asked for my drivers lic I informed the officer that I was armed she asked me to put my weapon on the seat next to me and to get out of the car and then asked If i had been pulled over for speeding before I answered no. Now here is the part where I know that a lot of you will say that I did wrong but I do not think I did she then asked If she could run my weapon to see if it was stolen and I said no I then returned to the car and waited the officer returned after a couple of minutes and gave me a warning about speeding. OK sorry about being a bit long winded but thought you would like to know
    A good friend will sit next to you in jail and say damn we had fun

3. I will never consent to a search. For no other reason than I don't have to.

Think it through: if they have to ask; then they don't have "probable cause." I'll bet a dollar that if they think they have "probable cause" they'll just Order me out of the car at gunpoint and start his search. I've seen it on "Cops" a billion times.

I do believe in treating the lawperson with respect; and it's beyond my comprehension why they wouldn't treat me with respect and honor my wishes not to consent; which is my right.

The trick is to be meek and humble and honest.

I think you were wrong as soon as you started answering questions.

I answered I either did not changed lane properly or was speeding well it happens i was speeding.

What you actually did here was confess to a crime.

When the officer asked for my drivers lic I informed the officer that I was armed

You blew it here as well, New Mexico has no duty to inform, had you kept your mouth shut you never would have had to deal w/ her wanting to run your weapon.

But hey, that's me

YMMV
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

5. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I think you were wrong as soon as you started answering questions.

I answered I either did not changed lane properly or was speeding well it happens i was speeding.

What you actually did here was confess to a crime.

When the officer asked for my drivers lic I informed the officer that I was armed

You blew it here as well, New Mexico has no duty to inform, had you kept your mouth shut you never would have had to deal w/ her wanting to run your weapon.

But hey, that's me

YMMV
    Presuming that the car is registered to the same person who has a CC licence then the LEO knows before they get to the car that someone has a CC licence and so there is a school of thought that simply letting them know shows them that your willing to be honest and forthcoming. The point is by telling them your CCing, you not telling them something they don't already know.

I'd never verbalize that "I'm armed" the way the OP did. Good way to make a LEO nervous, and/or get tazed, pepper sprayed, or shot. I would simply hand them my CHL (in OR it's a CHL) and only confirm that I was CCing if they asked.

Oh, and laws very by state but here in OR you are required to let an officer inspect your weapon if they ask. NOw, the LEO in question did not ask to inspect his weapon, rather to run it, so I think he was ok in that regard but you should be careful and ask for clarification if a request is not completely clear.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketboy View Post
    Presuming that the car is registered to the same person who has a CC licence then the LEO knows before they get to the car that someone has a CC licence and so there is a school of thought that simply letting them know shows them that your willing to be honest and forthcoming. The point is by telling them your CCing, you not telling them something they don't already know.

I'd never verbalize that "I'm armed" the way the OP did. Good way to make a LEO nervous, and/or get tazed, pepper sprayed, or shot. I would simply hand them my CHL (in OR it's a CHL) and only confirm that I was CCing if they asked.

Oh, and laws very by state but here in OR you are required to let an officer inspect your weapon if they ask. NOw, the LEO in question did not ask to inspect his weapon, rather to run it, so I think he was ok in that regard but you should be careful and ask for clarification if a request is not completely clear.

I am also from OR and agree with you 100% !

Personally, I feel you did the "right" thing. But just don't be a "butt-head" so to speak lol. Also the officer needs probable cause for the search, which "speeding" alone is not. Its weird here we have constitutional rights against unreasonable search/ seizure w/o warrant, and American are still concerned about giving in to commands from Jack booted thugs (some).... At lease she didn't freak out on you lol "SIR on the ground now! Assume a position that is degrading, and grovel to my authority!" Lmao

Just an add on I do not have a CCW I open carry as seeing that I live in NM who do not give CCW to a non US citizen. So seeing that when I had to get my wallet to get my lic the Officer would have seen my weapon so I just did the right thing and told her about it
    A good friend will sit next to you in jail and say damn we had fun

Quote Originally Posted by AussieRogue View Post
    Just an add on I do not have a CCW I open carry as seeing that I live in NM who do not give CCW to a non US citizen. So seeing that when I had to get my wallet to get my lic the Officer would have seen my weapon so I just did the right thing and told her about it
    Now that is completely different. If I would be sticking my hand anywhere near an openly displayed handgun I'd inform too.

Originally posted by Rocketboy Presuming that the car is registered to the same person who has a CC licence then the LEO knows before they get to the car that someone has a CC licence
    Doesn't apply every where in the US

According to Handgunlaw.us Orgeon does not have a "duty to inform'
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I agree with Treo with regards to how to handle a traffic stop. Most of us don't get much practice but it is best to start with "what seems to be the problem officer" which is more coy but equivalent to pleading the fifth, your right to not incriminate yourself.

Other than that it does sound like all things went about as well as they could have. Good job, I hope I never get pulled over again.

11. Quote Originally Posted by AussieRogue View Post
    Now here is the part where I know that a lot of you will say that I did wrong but I do not think I did she then asked If she could run my weapon to see if it was stolen and I said no
    Only those people who have no concern for their rights would say you did the wrong thing. The officer had absolutely no suspicion that your gun was stolen and had absolutely no reason to check the serial number.

I have to stand up and applaud the officer's handling of the situation, some would have seized the gun "for officer safety" and ran the serial number anyway, an action clearly against the 4th amendment.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast