Do NOT talk to the Police without a lawyer!!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do NOT talk to the Police without a lawyer!!!

1. A LEO"s job is to gather evidence of a crime. The fact that they are gathering such evidence from a person who has committed no crime is irrelevant.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by treo View Post
    you need to actually watch the video, especially the part where he doccuments a few cases where the police coherced a confession of of an innocent person
    DING DING DING !!! We have a winner!
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post

DING DING DING !!! We have a winner!
    Precisely. That's why I was wondering if one should even say "I feared for my life."

I wouldn't want to anger the police by being perceived as hostile or difficult. But once you hear this guy explain how the system works, it's shocking.

The officer who spoke after the law professor basically says that if they need evidence, they can make evidence. He added that he doesn't pursue people he knows are innocent, but I don't care how long he's been a cop, he's not omniscient.

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    I don't care how long he's been a cop, he's not omniscient.
    There you go using that darn logic localgirl, are you sure you are not related to NavyLT???

6. I carry a laminated card that reads as follows: If I have given this to you, it has been necessary to take actions to defend innocent life. I am willing to sign a criminal complaint aginst the perpetrator(s). I will point out witnesses and evidence. As you may have expreienced yourself, this is a stressful and traumatic experience for me. therefore, I wish to make no further statements until i have contacted an attorney and composed myself. I also do not consent to any searches. I will cooperate fully once I have consulted with an attorney and calmed down. As a lawfully armed citizen, I ask for the same courtesy that you would show a fellow officer who was involved in a similar situation. Thank you for understanding.
    My lawyer would receive a copy of this card and a full explanation, so he may give me the best defense.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Precisely. That's why I was wondering if one should even say "I feared for my life."

I wouldn't want to anger the police by being perceived as hostile or difficult. But once you hear this guy explain how the system works, it's shocking.

The officer who spoke after the law professor basically says that if they need evidence, they can make evidence. He added that he doesn't pursue people he knows are innocent, but I don't care how long he's been a cop, he's not omniscient.
    I posted this on THR 3 years ago. I think it still applies

Getting arrested after a SD incident isn't the big deal, getting convicted is. Here are some things you can do to help protect yourself.

Before A Shooting Occurs
    The last thing you want is some huge post count on THR in which every other post is about how you will have no mercy on BGs. Watch the content of your posts.

When A Shooting Occurs
    The best advice I've gotten from these threads is that your hands had better be spotless you had better not have done anything to escalate the situation. and it would be best that the local cops not have a half dozen "Man W/ a gun" incident reports on you.
    Comport yourself accordingly

Post Shooting
    Best advice I've heard
    1. Call the police
    2. Report the Shooting W/out implicating yourself ( "There was" not " I did")
    3. Do NOT have the gun in you hand when the cops show up
    4. Give the cops a victim statement " He attacked me I was forced to shoot"
    5 Get checked out by EMS
    6. you're pressed for a statement tell the cops that you're really shook up right now & that you'd like some time to conffer with your lawyer before making a statement.

7. Last but not least if, at anytime during the process, you are Mirandized shut up then & there and ask for a lawyer.

That's the best advice I've gotten here , now you're gonna get five pages , mostly from cops, about why I'm full of it
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

The "anger" or other feelings of the police are immaterial in such a situation. What matters are the law and your rights.

As others have said, make a MINIMAL statement that you were in fear for your life and defended yourself. After that, invoke your right to remain silent without a lawyer present and USE it.

Don't EVER say you "didn't mean to shoot him". That screams that either you didn't feel he was really a threat to life and limb, or that you were negligent and ACCIDENTALLY shot him.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    The "anger" or other feelings of the police are immaterial in such a situation. What matters are the law and your rights.
    Police are supposed to be profesionals and as such should be able to control their anger or other feelings when executing their duties. If they can't then they should find another line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    I carry a laminated card that reads as follows: If I have given this to you, it has been necessary to take actions to defend innocent life. I am willing to sign a criminal complaint aginst the perpetrator(s). I will point out witnesses and evidence. As you may have expreienced yourself, this is a stressful and traumatic experience for me. therefore, I wish to make no further statements until i have contacted an attorney and composed myself. I also do not consent to any searches. I will cooperate fully once I have consulted with an attorney and calmed down. As a lawfully armed citizen, I ask for the same courtesy that you would show a fellow officer who was involved in a similar situation. Thank you for understanding.
    My lawyer would receive a copy of this card and a full explanation, so he may give me the best defense.
    Very astute. Good advice.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

in a situation will the police even give you the opportunity to contact your attorney if you refuse to speak to them? I hear that you need to stay on the phone with 911 until they arrive but when can you actually dial your attorney?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast