General encounters with LEO... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General encounters with LEO...

1. I've only been carrying for 5 years and had three different official encounters with LEOs all have been positive. I have talked to, stood next to and walked by them for years and never been stopped or questioned about my CCW.

3. Mobuck, and officer has a duty to protect everyone along with following the law. An officer has the right to approach anyone that could cause a public disturbance and someone carrying openly could very well scare some people so the officer does have a right to investigate. Notice how i never said give a hard time. I agree with you if you are a law abiding citizen then it is your right to OC or CC all you want, the officer is merely doing his/her job and if that means stopping briefly to ask friendly if a person OC'ing has a license i do not think there is any issue what so ever. If the officer told you to put it away then i strongly disagree with that officers decision. But just making sure someone that is legally OC'ing is legit, i do not think there is any harm with that. It would just be my advice that arguing with the officer that it is your right and other things is just gonna cause the officer to be a little bit more agitated vs someone politely answering the question. just my 2 cents.

I live in south-central Kentucky and Kentucky is an open-carry-legal state. I have a CDWL (Concealed Deadly Weapon License) and I have had two encounters with the Glasgow Police, both of which I was upfront about carrying, and the officers treated it as a non-issue. They weren't chatty about it or anything, but didn't make a stink either. I was pulled over one time for suspicion of drunk driving (I don't drink...EVER) and the officer had me get out of my truck, saw that I wasn't impaired, did a quick pat down (which I thought was a bit much) and sent me on my merry way.

The GPD seems pretty cool with the CDWL thing. I have even been out in public before I got a IWB, open carrying and they don't seem to even notice or if they do, don't care. I like Kentucky. :-D

This is common when you first start CCWing. Its basic instinic to stay away from LEO's while Carrying. As time goes on you will become more comfortable and confident. its always an good idea to error on the side of caution. just relax and it will all become more clear and comfortable for you as time goes by. good luck
    NRA,NYCCW,PALTCF,FLCCW,ARCCW,DCM,NYSRPA,SCOPE

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    Its basic instinic to stay away from LEO's while Carrying.
    It's generally a good idea to avoid contact with LEO's regardless of whether or not one is carrying.

7. Quote Originally Posted by saltfishguy18 View Post
    A lot of officers feel this is exactly the case and is why they support CCW, notice how I saw concealed though. I understand a lot of people on this forum love to OC which is completely fine but it does get people very nervous which is the opposite of what police want. Overall I fully support CCW even before me being in training and now that I am in training, and i think a lot more people should be more open to the idea of CCW because lets face it there are a lot of crazy people out there and the police cant be everywhere 24/7
    Every police officer I've had the chance to talk with supports citizens carrying. They know they can't be everywhere at once. They've got family and friends... They want those family and friends to be able to protect themselves. There does seem to be some concern about OC, but it's not about the weapon being openly displayed, it's more about the fact (that at least here in OH) that one can OC with absolutely zero training whereas at least there's some minimal training for CCW. The concern is for untrained people doing stupid things because they've simply never been told not to/have never sat down and thought through their procedures.

8. Quote Originally Posted by BlueMR2 View Post
    it's more about the fact (that at least here in OH) that one can OC with absolutely zero training whereas at least there's some minimal training for CCW. The concern is for untrained people doing stupid things because they've simply never been told not to/have never sat down and thought through their procedures.
    However, in real life, this just doesn't manifest itself to be a reality. Now... those that are "highly trained" on the other hand....

Seattle police leave rifle unattended on cruiser

Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Most of my encounters with LEO have been more than positive, one exception is an officer wanted to clear my weapon and had no idea how to do it, when I explained he thanked me and wrote me a warning, I guess because I kept him from shooting himself.

I had an encounter with LEO yesterday morning, and he acted just as the OP said. He was full of his authority and it seemed he was intent on shoving it in my face even though I had not challenged it. I was respectfull and friendly and I think that pissed him off even more.. When the encounter was finished I drove to the State police Barracks and filled out a citizens complaint.. When I asked the officer at the window for a complaint form he had asked me why I wanted to make a complaint. After I told him briefly that the Officer was basicly arrogent, the officer at the window said to me(( everyone says that)))

I thought to myself ( perhaps you should start listening)....

I filled out the form and turned it in.... I was not carrying at the time... I have heard nothing yet but I expect to be contacted by the department soon....
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

Hi all newbe here just signed up, I have been carrying for a while now. All my encounters with LEO have also been positive. I think the feeling you have is from years of conditioning from all sides that guns are a bad thing, your worried about what someone else thinks, If you are a lic carrying legally you are doing nothing wrong and have nothing to worry about, if you are printing most likely the most that will happen will be for the officer to ask to see your permit. I live in Kentucky but have been in Texas for almost a year and the only time I don't carry is when we go to the Med Center.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast