Encounter with State Police and K9 Today WOW - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Encounter with State Police and K9 Today WOW

Yes the medication was Hydrocodone opioid based I guess but the dog hit on it right away

Excuse my ignorance here, but if you are legally carrying your gun and you have a prescription for the pain medication from a doctor and your taking the medication as prescribed, then i don`t see the problem of having your weapon and pain medication with you at all. If im wrong in this thinking, please explain.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
    Excuse my ignorance here, but if you are legally carrying your gun and you have a prescription for the pain medication from a doctor and your taking the medication as prescribed, then i don`t see the problem of having your weapon and pain medication with you at all. If im wrong in this thinking, please explain.
    Like trophyhunter, I have had back surgery and several other surgeries for which I take Hydrocodone. It is a prescription narcotic and my bottles have been labeled "May Cause Drowsiness" and "Do Not Drive While Taking This Medication." Consequently, I only take my medication when I am at home, not on the road driving. When traveling, my wife and I both put our medications in a bag and in the trunk of the car. There is always the possibility of being charged with driving under the influence of a controlled substance if I had to take a urinalysis considering the wording on my prescription bottles. As for the weapon, in this circumstance, it would not have paid for trophyhunter to get in the police officer's face and I feel he did right about notifying that he had a weapon. There will be disagreement to this but I still feel he did right.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie222 View Post
    Here is some good advice from an ex cop who strongly supports the 2nd amendment.

If you are carrying, stay away from law enforcement if at all possible. Yes you may have the letter of the law on your side, but certainly not the enforcers of the law. Cops get real uptight about citizens carrying a firearm.

Never walk up to the cops and just tell them you are carrying. If you are being detained for some reason then tell them. They almost always take a dim view of a non Leo carrying.
    This
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

6. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    There will be disagreement to this but I still feel he did right.
    Whether or not Trophyhunter did right.... the officers still violated his 4th amendment rights after they determined he was in lawful possession of the prescription medication. As far as actually being medicated while carrying - that depends on state law. For example in Washington, there is no law against carrying a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or lawfully possessed medication.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Oldgrunt, no problem answering your question and There is no Ignorence on what you have asked. According to New York State law, If you are carrying an Concealed Weapon you can not be under the Influence of Alcohol and or, Narcotics God forbid I ever had to use my weapon while taking an Narcotic pain Medication I would most deffently be in an world of hurt That would all the Ammo the District Attorney would need I forgot yo mention of first post the Trooper did point out the warning labels on my Perscription bottle not only would I be charged for being under the Influence while beiing armed but also I would be charged for operating an motor vehicle and in dangering the welfare of an child in new york there are many, many penal laws they could of charged me with.

8. Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    According to New York State law, If you are carrying an Concealed Weapon you can not be under the Influence of Alcohol and or, Narcotics
    Not it becomes clear.... Still, the argument could be made they had no RAS to suspect you were under the influence. In Washington, though, their actions after they determined the prescription medication was yours, everything else after that would have been clear cut rights violations.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Is it illegal in your state to carry concealed with a prescription on your person? Or was their concern that you were possibly carrying under the influence?

In Florida that's a clear overreach after verifying the pills were yours...if you aren't acting in any "under the influence" how could you possibly be told that they would make you take a piss test? They didn't make that call because your family was there, they did it because they couldn't defend it later if you sued. Now, if they asked and you complied willingly none of it really a violation as you chose to do so........I'm a huge fan of, "am I being detained officer or am I free to go?"

As a retired LEO with over 25 years of service in the arm pit of this country New Jersey I can only question why you said anything about your weapon. Unless you were in a state where it was mandatory for you to tell them then keep your mouth shut. I am on pain meds. every day to the tune of 90 miligrams of Morphine and 3600 miligrams of gebapentan. I function just as clear headed as I did without the meds. but without pain. Unless asked keep quiet and you should not have any problem.
    Bill

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast