Encounter with State Police and K9 Today WOW - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Encounter with State Police and K9 Today WOW

1. Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    I see allot of Open and, Concealed Carriers Refusing to work with Leo's even on simple request Such as, Requesting to see your Idenification. Please someone clear that up for me. Why is showing Id. wrong? or answering questions if asked.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing your ID or answering their questions. That choice is a personal choice that you have to make for yourself in each circumstance as it comes up.

What some of us try to do is educate people to let them know that they do have a choice.

My personal choice is that I will not allow any LEO to investigate me in any manner when I have acted in no way suspicious of breaking a law (except for security clearances, volunteer background checks, etc). I even refused to join a local gun range because they insisted on doing their own background check even though I have a concealed pistol license and a military security clearance.

Also, part of my personal choice is that I feel if I submit to a police officer's investigation for the sole reason that I am carrying a gun, I feel that I am giving the message to both that officer and to the public that may be watching that somehow the mere act of carrying a gun warrants suspicion and investigation. That's just my own personal feeling on it.

In you situation, trophyhunter, I absolutely would have cooperated with the officers after the dog hit on the backpack. I would have showed him the prescription bottle and ID. Then I would have attempted to terminate the interaction with the LEO. I don't feel like you did anything wrong, either in the circumstances that led up to the incident, or in your handling of the incident. And since you consented to every action on the officer's part, they, legally, did nothing wrong.

But, my question is this...after they verified that drugs were prescription and you were in legal possession of them, did you know or feel that you could then end the encounter and walk away because after that they had no other reason to suspect any crime had been committed?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
    What I forgot about was I had my Pain Medication with me. When the dog hit on my bag I remembered but by then it was too late.
    That, right there is the answer to your question about why so many of us reccomend caution when dealing w/ cops.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbill View Post
    As a retired LEO with over 25 years of service in the arm pit of this country New Jersey I can only question why you said anything about your weapon. Unless you were in a state where it was mandatory for you to tell them then keep your mouth shut. I am on pain meds. every day to the tune of 90 miligrams of Morphine and 3600 miligrams of gebapentan. I function just as clear headed as I did without the meds. but without pain. Unless asked keep quiet and you should not have any problem.
    Bill
    I'm sorry for your medical problems and I do understand the need for legitimate use of pain medications. However, the statement about taking 90 mg of Morphine and functioning clear headed is without merit in the eyes of the law and just plain common sense. If you are in an accident or discharge a firearm and are drug tested, you will be charged with being impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy62 View Post
    I'm sorry for your medical problems and I do understand the need for legitimate use of pain medications. However, the statement about taking 90 mg of Morphine and functioning clear headed is without merit in the eyes of the law and just plain common sense. If you are in an accident or discharge a firearm and are drug tested, you will be charged with being impaired.
    Are you licensed by your state to practice either medicine or law?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy62 View Post
    Are you licensed by your state to practice either medicine or law?
    I share the same skepticism as Treo about people qualifications to make statements like that.....but that being said, if you shoot me and I know you are on 1 aspirin a week I would bring up a "raging drug habit" to my attorney

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    So, EXACTLY which LAW/STATUTE/ORDINANCE did they CLAIM you were breaking? The dogs alerted to the backpack. That was RAS (Reasonable Articulable Suspicion) to detain you for what was in the bag. After they VERIFIED that there was prescription medicine in the bag and that you were the proper person to which that medicine belonged, at that point any RAS that they had of a crime being committed was settled. Everything after that was a clear violation of your 4th amendment rights.

You shouldn't be beating yourself up. You should be seeking action for a violation of your rights.

Why did you tell them about your gun? Were you required to by law?
    your absolutly right, the more noise we make even in this minor incident, the safer it makes us all.... Take action.
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

Quote Originally Posted by scottbland247 View Post
    I share the same skepticism as Treo about people qualifications to make statements like that.....but that being said, if you shoot me and I know you are on 1 aspirin a week I would bring up a "raging drug habit" to my attorney
    If he shoots you he'll make sure you talk only to god.. if god want's to forward your message to your attorney, he'll take care of it.
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

Well I can see that we have an attorney with us and a pharmacist. I must tell you tho it would be a good idea to check and see what the law states or don't state where I live about your CCW if you are on prescribed medication. I function as well or maybe even better then most people that have a concealed weapons permit. I am very forthright about the meds that I have to take to be able to function and this is the only way that I can function without being in screaming pain 24/7. Trust me if I got to the point that I had trouble functioning I would not carry. After 25 years as a LEO I am not realy a stupid person that would continue to carry if not able to do so.
    And yes I have no problem with busting a cap into someone if they need it and the second shot is always to the head. I am a very strong believer in the double tap or even triple tap method of shooting.
    Bill

I would just suggest that there is a reason our society doesn't let the medicated decide if they are functioning properly on their own in cases of firearms

Quote Originally Posted by scottbland247 View Post
    I would just suggest that there is a reason our society doesn't let the medicated decide if they are functioning properly on their own in cases of firearms
    I would suggest that you stop suggesting.......

Maybe I should turn you in the next time you are on pain medication and try to *Gasp* read a book or something......

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast