York County, SC Carowinds Blvd. -POSITIVE

Thread: York County, SC Carowinds Blvd. -POSITIVE

1. York County, SC Carowinds Blvd. -POSITIVE

My wife and I stopped for gas on Carowinds Blvd in York County, SC. We live in Charlotte, NC but gas is cheaper in SC so we always fill up when we are close. As we pulled in there was a group of people (not together) walking from the store across to their cars at the pump. I pulled up and slowed to a crawl as the people walked across 20-30 feet in front of us. Everyone made it across with out incident except for 1 man who decided to STOP in the middle of the crossing and give me the evil eye, while blocking my path. I made a hard left and pulled in front of a open pump right in front of him because i couldn't get passed him.

As soon as I got out of the car the guy was in my face about how I tried to run him over. I calmly told him that I was not trying to run him over him anymore than I was anyone else who kept moving through the crossing. If he had just continued at the pace he was at when I pulled up, he would already be driving down the road to his destination. At this point he got heated, which got me heated until we were screaming profanities at each other at the pump. At one point he walked toward his car and told his wife/girlfriend or whoever to "pop the trunk". She did and I was ready to reach back toward my weapon, he emerged from the trunk with a pen and paper and wrote down my license plate number and told me he was going to call the police. I told him fine, I wasn't in a hurry and I would be waiting right there.

About 45 mins later a York County sheriff showed up. Talked to the guy, then came to talk to me. My wife and I both had our ID and NC CCWs out and ready, as I handed them to the deputy I informed him that we were both CCWs and where each weapon was located. He simply said "No Problem" and went about business as if nothing was wrong. After hearing both sides of the story, we were told to go ahead while he talked to the other couple again. We got back in the car put our IDs and CCWs away, got our seat belts on etc... The LEO was already back at the other peoples car as we rode by, they looked at us with the most terrified look on their faces. I assume the LEO let them know how lucky there were that they were not MORE threatening.

What was really awesome was that during the exchange in front of the pumps, the guy got racial on me. Asked me if I "always tried to run everyone down, or just black guys?", the deputy that arrived was a black man also.
    A gun is like a fire extinguisher, I hope I never have to use either of them. I wont hesitate if necessary.

3. Come on, admit it, you were edging forward in his direction as he was trying to walk to his car.

I perfectly understand how things get out of hand, I'm guilty of it, as well. And have no compunction whatsoever breaking for tail gators, cutting off slow drivers in the left lane, and generally driving aggressively defensive.

That the situation evolved into a cursing match, only means it takes two, dude. You're also lucky he didn't pull a lethal weapon out of his trunk.

Having said that, thankfully the situation didn't deteriorate into a violent confrontation, but I wouldn't call it POSITIVE, unless you think you somehow "won" the exchange. You may not be so lucky next time. I've been there, too, and would never call it positive.

4. The topic is LEO encounter, I was not hassled by the LEO therefore a POSITIVE LEO encounter.

I was fully aware of where he was while at the truck and made sure that I had cover. Granted, even the best laid plans dont always work out.

The important thing here is that after this post, I am entered in the LC9 drawing. Hope I win!
    A gun is like a fire extinguisher, I hope I never have to use either of them. I wont hesitate if necessary.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NCGunDude View Post
    Come on, admit it, you were edging forward in his direction as he was trying to walk to his car.

I perfectly understand how things get out of hand, I'm guilty of it, as well. And have no compunction whatsoever breaking for tail gators, cutting off slow drivers in the left lane, and generally driving aggressively defensive.

That the situation evolved into a cursing match, only means it takes two, dude. You're also lucky he didn't pull a lethal weapon out of his trunk.

Having said that, thankfully the situation didn't deteriorate into a violent confrontation, but I wouldn't call it POSITIVE, unless you think you somehow "won" the exchange. You may not be so lucky next time. I've been there, too, and would never call it positive.
    In this case, I would say that it was lucky that he DID NOT pull out a weapon. It seems like the fellow walking was posturing to show off rather than just walking to his vehicle. When pulling in to a gas station, I have "edged" in or entered slowly to let someone pass more times than I can remember. We all have. All the fellow had to do was move out of the way. Instead, the situation got heated and the black fellow seemed to want to make it a racial thing. The luckiest thing he did that day was to call a LEO (who by happenstance was also black). The LEO obviously convinced him and his significant other that their action was stupid and could have resulted in serious injury, hence the frightened looks. KUDOs to the LEO. However you want to label the encounter, luck was with both parties.