Definition of positive encounter? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Definition of positive encounter?

1. Talking Why volunteer you are carrying?

Why would you volunteer that you are carrying? Did you also tell him you have your library card in your wallet and you have overdue books? He is the sheriff after all, you'd better tell him everything!

Quote Originally Posted by retiredman View Post
    Ha! a good encounter is when the sheriff of your county pulls up in your yard and says -- lets go for a ride.

Then you notify him you have your gun on you concealed, and he says --- cool jump in! then you both go for a ride and he shows you his private shooting range, and says you can use it any time you want

Now that is a great encounter.

Sorry guys! eat your heart out, I will stay in my little town and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by retiredman View Post
    Ha! a good encounter is when the sheriff of your county pulls up in your yard and says -- lets go for a ride.

Then you notify him you have your gun on you concealed, and he says --- cool jump in! then you both go for a ride and he shows you his private shooting range, and says you can use it any time you want

Now that is a great encounter.

Sorry guys! eat your heart out, I will stay in my little town and be happy.
    With Leos like you have over there, you are indeed in a good place.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Lucenut View Post
    Why would you volunteer that you are carrying?
    In Ohio it's a CRIME not to notify an LEO that you have a CHL AND that you're ARMED, if that LEO "stops you for a law enforcement purpose".

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    A positive encounter (IMO) is one that limits the interaction to the bare minimum. I don't make idle chit chat w/ cops, if you have to interact with me state your business and be on your way.
    Plus one on that!

6. Positive encounter number one: Stopped in the middle of the night for a burned-out tail light. Showed my licenses and permit as required. Deputy asked what I carried. I told him. "Cool," he replied. "I wish my department would switch to those." He didn't even go back to the squad car and run my DL. Just said he wanted me to know about the tail light.

Number Two.) Was open-carrying in NM out in the Gila national forest. Was also lost as hell, with a map spread out on the hood. A game warden drove up and asked if I needed help. I told him I had just about got my bearings and we chatted a bit more about good spots for photography, camping, etc. I'm former LE myself, and could tell he was just being friendly, and not fishing around for some reason to do a search. We shook hands and went our seperate ways. My open gun concerned him no more than the color of my shoelaces.

I recognize things are often different in certain states and large metro areas.

Yeah, EastOKHotRod, I've been meaning to talk to you about those shoelaces. 8)

8. Quote Originally Posted by Derby View Post
    Yeah, EastOKHotRod, I've been meaning to talk to you about those shoelaces. 8)
    LOL. The sad thing is that there are so many laws on the books that there may be a juridiction where certain shoelaces actually are illegal. Or where it's a crime to carry too much cold medicine, too many aspirin, a baseball bat without a ball, etc. That's why I generally decline to answer too many questions from LE. Politely, of course.

In truly remote wilderness areas, I'm usually a bit more chatty. I actually want the rangers, wardens, and border patrol to know who I am, and approximately where I'll be camping. That way if I wind up overdue from my trip, they at least know where to begin searching. And a little face-to-face interaction usually allays any fears they might have that I'm out there poaching, smuggling, or cooking meth.

A positive LEO encounter for me would be if he/she buys me a donut.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by EastOkHotRod View Post
    LOL. The sad thing is that there are so many laws on the books that there may be a juridiction where certain shoelaces actually are illegal. Or where it's a crime to carry too much cold medicine, too many aspirin, a baseball bat without a ball, etc. That's why I generally decline to answer too many questions from LE. Politely, of course.

In truly remote wilderness areas, I'm usually a bit more chatty. I actually want the rangers, wardens, and border patrol to know who I am, and approximately where I'll be camping. That way if I wind up overdue from my trip, they at least know where to begin searching. And a little face-to-face interaction usually allays any fears they might have that I'm out there poaching, smuggling, or cooking meth.
    If you want to know about those crazy laws on the books go here...

11. Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    If you want to know about those crazy laws on the books go here...
    Great site. Even found one from my home town that I recently broke...while carrying a gun:
    "Flirtation between men and women on the streets of Little Rock may result in a 30-day jail term"
    I guess the next time I'll just have to flirt with another man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast