Canton Police Officer Under Investigation After Concealed Carry Arrest - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Canton Police Officer Under Investigation After Concealed Carry Arrest

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    There is an article on "theblaze.com" today that says this same officer pulled a nearly identical stunt in July 2010, using the same lack of vocabulary and making threats toward a citizen. My question is, if this officer is continually threatening violence and abusing citizens of that city, why hasn't some form of disciplinary action (firing) taken place by now? That fellow seems to be out of control and in need of a job change. If someone gets the right lawyer, there could be a lot of people getting a job change and the city out a lot of money. I fail to see how his superiors can overlook the overt death threats he has made. If one of us ordinary citizens made a threat like that we would be under the jail!
    If there have been previous incidents he needs to be let go.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 View Post
    you can't fire them,their in a union
    Maybe, but you CAN make it effectively impossible for them to work as cops. The more famous they get for their antics, the more lawsuits they attract.

Based on the police report, he's already got crippling integrity issues. The odds are, the only time he'll ever testify in court again will be as the defendant in a civil suit. The greenest defense attorney would rip him to shreds on cross. I doubt any prosecutor will ever LET him testify again. His middle name is now "Reasonable Doubt".

If they can't fire them, the city will just put them to "work" guarding the impound yard, or a busted basketball hoop in a closed park.

Quite a comedown for a wouldbe "supercop".

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Maybe, but you CAN make it effectively impossible for them to work as cops. The more famous they get for their antics, the more lawsuits they attract.

Based on the police report, he's already got crippling integrity issues. The odds are, the only time he'll ever testify in court again will be as the defendant in a civil suit. The greenest defense attorney would rip him to shreds on cross. I doubt any prosecutor will ever LET him testify again. His middle name is now "Reasonable Doubt".

If they can't fire them, the city will just put them to "work" guarding the impound yard, or a busted basketball hoop in a closed park.

Quite a comedown for a wouldbe "supercop".
    It's prety hard to be a cop if you cannot testify in court. Basically that reduces you to working personel department or "public relations".

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Basically that reduces you to working personel department or "public relations".
    Wouldn't that be hilarious? Him as the public relations man for the Canton PD! At every press conference, he'd threaten to murder all of the journalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Wouldn't that be hilarious? Him as the public relations man for the Canton PD! At every press conference, he'd threaten to murder all of the journalists.
    Thanks for the laugh. I hadn't thought of it that way.

On the contrary,it would be very easy to fire the officer, union or not. His actions were criminal and in violation of the police procedures everywhere. The city's Personnel Board has more than enough ammunition to fire him and, in the process, possibly take disciplinary action against his superiors for allowing him to continue to threaten citizens. A union would have a hard time defending this fellow.

The city's Personnel Board has more than enough ammunition to fire...
    Nice pun! Although it may have been unintentional.

On the contrary,it would be very easy to fire the officer, union or not. His actions were criminal and in violation of the police procedures everywhere. The city's Personnel Board has more than enough ammunition to fire him and, in the process, possibly take disciplinary action against his superiors for allowing him to continue to threaten citizens. A union would have a hard time defending this fellow.
    You couldn't be more wrong. Read this: Killed On Camera | Feature | Chicago Reader

Weems was NEVER fired. He recently shot himself.

Harless hasn't (that we KNOW OF) murdered anybody... yet.

Like hell I can't. Unions never stopped me before. In this case I would charge him with a misdemeanor and have the DA get his resignation as part of any plea deal. He's dangerous to the general public.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Like hell I can't. Unions never stopped me before. In this case I would charge him with a misdemeanor and have the DA get his resignation as part of any plea deal. He's dangerous to the general public.
    Very unlikely, given that that would be construed as an admission of the victim's defense in criminal court. The city wants to prosecute the victim... no matter how much it ultimately costs.

To the best of my knowledge, a misdemeanor conviction (except for domestic violence, and that only because it bars possession of a firearm) is not an absolute bar to employment as a cop. The cheerleaders for the Chicago cop who tried to kick the barmaid to death, those who admitted that he'd even done anything wrong AT ALL, wanted him AT MOST, convicted of a misdemeanor so that he could stay on the job.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast