video taping LEO'S in wisconson.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: video taping LEO'S in wisconson.

1. video taping LEO'S in wisconson.

with the CCW law about to become active in nov or dec when we get the cards back. Is it legal to videotape you being stopped by a Leo? Do you have to tell them your taping this stop? Can he legaly tell you to stop? Can he take your camera. what can you do if he takes it? breaks it? arrestes you for taping him.
    If he abuses you and never sees the camera can you use it in court? What are the laws in Wisconsin on taping someone?

Videotaping is not a crime in a public place. That won't stop you from getting arrested though. Check this video.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

My one comment: I'm seeing a big smear campaign on LEOs right now. All over the internet, there are a bunch of punks who drive around doing illegal or questionable stuff to bait the LEO. Then once they get the stop on videotape, and make a few edits, it gets to YouTube, the media, or sometimes to court in the form of a frivolous lawsuit.

While I generally have no problem with taping a stop as an insurance policy against one's rights being violated...don't be a punk. Don't bait the cop. Please no more theatrics and BS.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

From what I can tell Wisconsin is a one party consent state. "Can We Tape?"

So unless there is a specific law against recording LEOs (like in some states apparently) it should be legal to record the encounter without informing them.

As far as telling you to stop, He can of course, whether you are legally bound to could depend on other things. Most states have laws that prevent people from interfering with the duties of a LEO. Personally I don't think recording the encounter does that, but an argument could be made if they wanted to try.

On what if he takes the camera etc.... get a lawyer.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

Don't do anything wrong and you won't have to waste your time and his or her's by trying to tape somethng that cannot be brought into court in the first place. Chain of custody will come into the problem and therfore the tape would be thrown out with any half ass attorney.
    Bill

Laws very State to State pertaining to Video taping LEO's. Best thing to do is, check your local Laws.Hopefully you won't need to video tape LEO's. Are you expecting problems

All my close friends, including myself stay away from these types of situations.LEO's have an hard enough job, without cameras in their face.I'm not saying it's not an good Idea, but as a general rule unless completely necessary, we keep our distance.

One reason he may be asking is because of the new law that will go into effect in a few months in WI. Right now concealed carry is illegal there, but it will be legal soon. I assume he is worried some LEOs may not be aware of the law change.
    “Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”

Posting in …….
    OpenCarry.org
    USA Carry
    Glock Talk
    Tennessee Gun Owners
    also check
    Handgunlaw.us
    Tennessee Laws at: Michie’s Legal Resources

Quote Originally Posted by sgtbill View Post
    Don't do anything wrong and you won't have to waste your time and his or her's by trying to tape somethng that cannot be brought into court in the first place. Chain of custody will come into the problem and therfore the tape would be thrown out with any half ass attorney.
    Bill
    Really? Early in the morning, I was given a ride to the Cleveland Amtrak station by my best friend's wife. She was pulled over for allegedly "weaving". She wasn't weaving. It was simply a lie, used as an excuse to troll for drunks at 3:00am.

The police can and have stopped people for a VAST array of reasons, from legitimately suspicious behavior to the color of their skin.

If you think video isn't admissible in court, look up [former] Officer Anthony Abbate of the Chicago PD and ask him how he got to be a FORMER cop and a convicted felon. You might also want to ask him what one piece of evidence, if absent, almost CERTAINLY would have led to his continued ability to stomp barmaids with impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    My one comment: I'm seeing a big smear campaign on LEOs right now. All over the internet, there are a bunch of punks who drive around doing illegal or questionable stuff to bait the LEO. Then once they get the stop on videotape, and make a few edits, it gets to YouTube, the media, or sometimes to court in the form of a frivolous lawsuit.
    "The ***** set me up!" didn't work for Marion Berry. It doesn't usually work for the police either.

Any video, photo or recording in a public place is just that public, no privicy. If I photo or video tape an officer from my private property while he is on public property he has no recourse, if he enters my property when no crime has been committed criminal trespass (property is posted, security and sound running full time)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast