local police lost my respect last weekend - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: local police lost my respect last weekend

1. I'll post more on the story once I find some links and hopefully they get it in the news. I do have the link to his mugshot from that night but I don't want to post him without the rest to back it, if that makes sense. I think it was 2 cars total with him and his wife in 1 and the stepson in the other and according to Oregon law they have up to 3 hours to make contact. I was dumbfounded also when I heard that they came up to the door, I always figured once you were outta the car they had no right but its the cops word against his and we all know how that plays out.

I've lived here less than a year and in that time I've seen MAYBE a dozen black people. The bar had roughly 50 people at any given time there that night so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that cops that follow the black man in his Mercedes all the way to his house in the suburbs and wait until the only possible witnesses would be his family is a hate crime. His WHITE stepson left the same bar, driving the same route to the same house was never questioned about his drinking

Police department citizen review board

HI:
    Every police department should have a citizen review board. The citizen review board would review problems within the local police department. Until there is citizen review boards the problems will continue. A citizen review board will deter problems with the police getting out of line. Until each police department has citizen review boards the problems will continue.
    This country belongs to the citizens that live in it. It is up to each and everyone to tell state and federal legislators what we want regarding laws.
    Rich
    Beware of your surroundings

4. Law Enforcement has really gone downhill since fiscal measures encouraged the one man per patrol car policy.

When I was a young man there were always (except in very small jurisdictions) two patrolmen in each cruiser. The more experienced patrolman reined in the excesses of the less experienced young buck.

Now you have a 24 year old kid who thinks he's GOD with no one to rein him in.

I've always thought Police Departments would have been better off by cutting the number of patrol cars in half in order to staff them properly with two patrolpersons instead of one.

The two person patrol units have the advantage of built in backup and maintain a wider range of tactical options in any situation.

And if one patrolperson wanted to harass an innocent citizen they'd first have to convince the other to go along with it making it less likely to happen.

Thumbs down Implied Consent

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    She is crippled and unable to walk the drunk line without arm braces but can only use one due to shoulder surgery four weeks ago. The facial and cranial nerve damage caused some loss of speech funtion... she studders and slightly drools at times (facial palsey). She does not drink or take drugs, ever.

She requested an attorney three times during the stop but the LEO continued to question her.

She called her husband who arrived on-scene with an attorney to stop this thing from getting worse. The LEO listened carefully to the attorney and then understood his mistakes based on the medical condition. The woman, who has a squeeky clean record and handgun permit was very distraught as she thought she was somehow being targeted. The officer claimed he approached the car because it was parked crooked, although it was fully/legally contained within a single parking space. He claimed her answers were evasive giving him further cause. His aggressiveness lead to her refusal to talk. He had intended to let her go with just a parking ticket but then withdrew the ticket and deeply apologized if he scared her. He was quite young.
    You can blame all this erosion of the fifth amendment and due process on M.A.D.D. and the "implied consent" laws that have been railroaded through in most states. In most states you do not have the right to have an attorney present durring a trafic stop/field sobriety test/alcohol screening because you "implied consent" by getting a driver's licence.

Quote Originally Posted by rlkraatz View Post
    HI:
    Every police department should have a citizen review board. The citizen review board would review problems within the local police department. Until there is citizen review boards the problems will continue. A citizen review board will deter problems with the police getting out of line. Until each police department has citizen review boards the problems will continue.
    This country belongs to the citizens that live in it. It is up to each and everyone to tell state and federal legislators what we want regarding laws.
    And the citizen's review board needs to have the power to terminate officers at will.

I also have had problems with the police. I live in a small town in Eastern Washington that is run by the 'GOOD OLE BOYS' and dissent is NOT tolerated. Most recently however I recently complained to the Mayor about a man who is a volunteer for a city sponsered orginization. This man is quite vocal in his racial views refering to himself as a 'white-sepratist' and referes to Mexican-Americans as #%^[email protected] among other slurs. He was also overheard by a young Jewish couple who were stranded here because of car problems telling another local that 'the Holocaust didnt happen and the Jews owe Adolf Hitler an apology'! My Grandmother was Jewish and like this couple I was highly offended. I complained to the head of the orginization but was ignored. I then went to the Mayor who told me that I needed to be more tolerant of other viewpoints. She then told me how much she respected his views and then in a loud voice and pointing her finger at me threatened me and then told me Id better 'shut up' as there were "good Germans" in town who would retaliate because of my complaints and I deserved it. Since then my wife has trouble sleeping and what can I do? Go to the police? No way. The chief is one of the 'good ole boys' and appointed by the Mayor Gee I have been threatened and the police are worthless. The prosecuter is a friend of the bigot. I know that most cops are just trying to do their job but with stories like the ones on this thread and knowing the cops I know, if I was a cop I would fully understand a citizens mistrust the police. Anybody know a goog shyster lawyer? Ill hire him.

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    He was also overheard by a young Jewish couple who were stranded here because of car problems telling another local that 'the Holocaust didnt happen and the Jews owe Adolf Hitler an apology'!
    Why should he care? He committed suicide in the Fuhrer Bunker. Aparently he was too much of a coward to go on when things got too rough for his tastes.

9. Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    I also have had problems with the police. I live in a small town in Eastern Washington that is run by the 'GOOD OLE BOYS' and dissent is NOT tolerated. Most recently however I recently complained to the Mayor about a man who is a volunteer for a city sponsered orginization. This man is quite vocal in his racial views refering to himself as a 'white-sepratist' and referes to Mexican-Americans as #%^[email protected] among other slurs. He was also overheard by a young Jewish couple who were stranded here because of car problems telling another local that 'the Holocaust didnt happen and the Jews owe Adolf Hitler an apology'! My Grandmother was Jewish and like this couple I was highly offended. I complained to the head of the orginization but was ignored. I then went to the Mayor who told me that I needed to be more tolerant of other viewpoints. She then told me how much she respected his views and then in a loud voice and pointing her finger at me threatened me and then told me Id better 'shut up' as there were "good Germans" in town who would retaliate because of my complaints and I deserved it. Since then my wife has trouble sleeping and what can I do? Go to the police? No way. The chief is one of the 'good ole boys' and appointed by the Mayor Gee I have been threatened and the police are worthless. The prosecuter is a friend of the bigot. I know that most cops are just trying to do their job but with stories like the ones on this thread and knowing the cops I know, if I was a cop I would fully understand a citizens mistrust the police. Anybody know a goog shyster lawyer? Ill hire him.

Both to you and the OP:

Lawyers are licensed state wide, so you do not need to use a local lawyer who is probably part of the old boy network.

Go to a large city where you are more likely to find a lawyer who is not a bigot and hire him to rep you.

He probably will bring in the feds as these are clearly discrimination cases and there are federal laws against both of these crimes.

10. It seems no matter how much progress we make, we really haven't made any progress at all.... Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    This past weekend there was a similar instance in my home town. A middle-aged housewife was stopped at a grocery store and was issued a field sobriety test. LEO didn't like the outcome and really pressed the issue. The woman is recovering from an auto accident where she sustained a broken neck with nerve damage, broken vert in lower back, separated shoulder, torn rotator cuff and broken ribs. The stop came four weeks after the last surgery.

She is crippled and unable to walk the drunk line without arm braces. Facial and cranial nerve damage caused some loss of speech funtion... she studders. She does not drink or take drugs, ever.

She requested an attorney three times during the stop but the LEO continued to question her.

She called her husband who arrived on-scene with an attorney. The LEO listened carefully to the attorney and then understood his mistakes based on the medical condition. The officer claimed he approached the car because it was parked crooked, although it was fully/legally contained within a single parking space.

So shat could have been the results of his actions had he effected an arrest? Blood testing woukd have shown no drugs or alcohol in the woman's system. So, no charges by the DA. She would have been released.

The ramifications for the department, town and officer could have been tremendous.
    I have a similar story about a friend from Oregon State. His whole family are engineering genius'. The two boys my age are twins, and drive twin camaro's they both beefed up to around 600 hp. Beautiful machines. He was on his way home from church when he was pulled over. The police officer did a field sobriety test and a breathalyzer. He passed both, blowing a 0.00, but because he has a slightly droopy face, the officer was determined to get him. The officer ended up arresting him for DUI, telling him, "I am taking you in, we will do a blood draw, and we WILL find something." We had hundreds of people stop by the department and ask when he was going to be released. The next morning he was let out, went straight to the Student health department and got a blood and urine test. Both test showed nothing in his system. His family is suing Corvallis PD. Sadly, this happened four years ago, the police are investigating their own and nothing has happened. He still has a DUI on his record.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast