Horseplaying LEO
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Horseplaying LEO

1. Horseplaying LEO

I just got back to the office from doing some field work. So, I'm driving down the highway and I see blue lights and that an officer has a car pulled over in the parking lot of some kind of auto repair shop. As I get closer I see the driver of the car gets out (BIG olí DUDE) and rushes in on the officer and they commence to wrestling. The driver is slinging the officer around like a rag doll. I immediately lock-up the brakes and pull a U-turn. As I make it back to the scene I see that they are both laughing and patting each other on the back.

I really didn't know what I was planning to do, but I was sure as hell going to help the officer if the situation dictated. Here I am carrying my S&W BG380 concealed about to come to the aid of what APPEARS to be an officer in big trouble.

When I saw big smiles and friendly gestures I just pulled away more than a little perturbed.

Am I over reacting, or was the officer out of line by horse playing on the side of a busy street?
    I'm not sure if that was a werewolf, or a hairy homeless guy... either way... the silver bullets worked.

I feel you were doing the correct thing it was human nature to help another

4. Neither

You were not out of line, if the officer was in trouble, you should do what you feel is needed.
    The officer is a person like you and I, yes maybe he should not have been behaving like that while in uniform, but he is allowed to have some fun.
    Also in his defence, he may not have started it, his buddy may have started it, and the officer put a stop to is a quickly as he could.

5. Quote Originally Posted by MarkX View Post
    You were not out of line, if the officer was in trouble, you should do what you feel is needed.
    The officer is a person like you and I, yes maybe he should not have been behaving like that while in uniform, but he is allowed to have some fun.
    Also in his defence, he may not have started it, his buddy may have started it, and the officer put a stop to is a quickly as he could.
    That's a good point. If I had to account for EVERYTHING my friends did I'd be in a lot of trouble!
    I'm not sure if that was a werewolf, or a hairy homeless guy... either way... the silver bullets worked.

Don't mean to be harsh but...Lesson Learned! Like the safety rules of gun handling so to speak....
    "Know your target and what's behind it!
    I remember reading something here that was attributed to Ayoob. To paraphrase, Know what the situation is and who is involved before you act.
    For what it's worh.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Good story! Thanks for sharing. It brings us all up a notch when encountering situations of our own, and realizing that we very likely do NOT know all the factors involved. That shouldn't paralyze us to inaction, but should temper us to cautious and reasonable action when necessary.

You're not out of line. I believe you did the right thing by turning around to "help" the officer.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

This comes back to being a good witness. Calling 911 should have been your first move, then taken it from there should the need arise. What would you have done? Flown into the parking lot and jumped out of the car straight into the weaver stance and ordered the guy to stop?

911 would have been able to send help if it was needed, If it was needed you may have been able to render aid till backup arrived.

Always be 100% sure of whats going on before you react!

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Sounds like the cop was probably just making another traffic stop and then found out it is a friend in the car. I dont know about you but if you put me and my buddy together, the saying "boys will be boys" cannot be more true.

-
    You could've at least refereed the match!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast