Interesting/Confusing LEO encounter my son had - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Interesting/Confusing LEO encounter my son had

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,270
    Quote Originally Posted by RRobaldo:241940

    We were taught to inform even though it's not required in Florida. It's a good habit to be in when you travel through states that do require it. Also, I view it as a courtesy to the LEO. It's far better that he find out up front, than to have them accidentally see it and "freak out".

    I know and understand that there are differing schools of thought on this, but I for one believe that by far most officers are upright and deserve to be treated with respect.
    Yeah, we are on completely different trains, but that's ok, our trains pass by each other every so often like now. I am not really interested on the notification part, but the actual action part (second half of my first part).

    I was taught, if the bad guy has the jump on me, when he asks for my hands to go up or for me to give him my wallet, that was the time to go for my gun (if I felt my life was in danger), since he is expecting my hands to move, and won't react as fast to my movement. It would seem if someone wanted to shoot an officer, it would of happened way before the contact, or right at that time when the officer felt relaxed next to an individual with a gun in hand. Seems like an example of the officer letting his guard down and becoming complacent on the job. (that is a complete assumption because I don't have a clue what the officer was thinking).

  2.   
  3. Why would the officer need to feel "in control of the situation" over a tail light bulb? That line is pure BS. He just wanted to show his meager authority over a citizen who had already gone above the minimum requirement of the law. Next time don't give any more than the least the law allows would be my suggestion. If the cop can't function within the laws made by the legislature, he needs to get a job at Walmart stocking shelves or swabbing the toilet.

  4. I've never heard of that as a police officer. Doing that put the officer in danger, and if I was his field training officer I would be very disturbed by it. From only what you stated, simply keeping the hands of the driver on the steering wheel would have sufficed.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
    Why would the officer need to feel "in control of the situation" over a tail light bulb? That line is pure BS. He just wanted to show his meager authority over a citizen who had already gone above the minimum requirement of the law. Next time don't give any more than the least the law allows would be my suggestion. If the cop can't function within the laws made by the legislature, he needs to get a job at Walmart stocking shelves or swabbing the toilet.
    After the notification it was much more than just a tail light issue. Authority and control...is there much of a difference? While I agree with your overall message, I don't agree with belittling grocery clerks and janitors. Over the last decade, I hold way more respect for those positions than policemen.

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Yes, NavyLCDR this is yet another, do I inform the postman because he has a cute uniform thread.

  7. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
    Why would the officer need to feel "in control of the situation" over a tail light bulb? That line is pure BS. He just wanted to show his meager authority over a citizen who had already gone above the minimum requirement of the law. Next time don't give any more than the least the law allows would be my suggestion. If the cop can't function within the laws made by the legislature, he needs to get a job at Walmart stocking shelves or swabbing the toilet.
    If you dont want our officers to be able to take control of a situation and to feel comfortable doing so, then we would not have a police force. The majority would quit after realizing they can easily be killed, and the few remaining would probably be killed since they could not take control of situations and put themselves in the most tactically advantaged position.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    If you dont want our officers to be able to take control of a situation and to feel comfortable doing so, then we would not have a police force. The majority would quit after realizing they can easily be killed, and the few remaining would probably be killed since they could not take control of situations and put themselves in the most tactically advantaged position.
    The officer in question did nothing to take control of "the situation" nor did he "put himself in the most tactically advantaged position." The officer ordered the subject to perform an action that increased the danger to himself, to the subject, and to any innocent bystanders that might have been around.

    The officer clearly did this for one of two reasons: either he was exerting authority merely to exert authority and giving orders because he could...or he was just plain inept and had no idea what a completely wrong situation he had created by telling the subject to handle his firearm during the stop. In either case, this particular officer needs to go back to basic training. And if he was giving orders and exerting authority for no other reason than to puff his badge out further, he needs to be formally reprimanded, because his puffing is putting at least two people at greater risk.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    Texas requires you to inform the officer, not an issue, I think it has stopped me from getting several tickets.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Posts
    1,207
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    The officer asked your son to secure the weapon because the action puts the officer in control. It's got nothing to do with logic or common sense. It has to do with a perceived feeling of being in control of the situation and any potential danger.
    How dare you say what I wuz gunna, but you said it much better than I could have. If I may, I might add that it's entirely likely that it may not have been as much as being in control of the situation/danger, but more of the "I'm the LEO here, you teensie-weensie lil' rediculous CCW holder, now do as I say" thing. Elitism. ...But I won't say that as it might be silly. ;-)
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Posts
    1,207
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Texas requires you to inform the officer, not an issue, I think it has stopped me from getting several tickets.
    Lead foot? Aggressive driver? Expired plates each year? Pray tell!
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast