Interesting/Confusing LEO encounter my son had - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: Interesting/Confusing LEO encounter my son had

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle:242354
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    My legitimate point was and is that the cop's orders for the subject to take the gun out of his holster and place it in the glovebox did NOTHING other than increase the risk of injury to the subject, to the cop and to any innocent bystanders. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE was accomplished by the cop's order to the subject to handle his gun. That is an undisputable fact in this situation. It does not matter what department policy was, it does not matter what the officer's intentions were, what matters is that this police officer's actions placed more people in more danger than if he had not given the order.

    Seems like all you want to do is polish badges and shine boots rather than face the reality of the situation.
    If you consider me a badge polisher for not accepting hearsay evidence about an encounter NONE of us had, then sure. I guess Im also smart for not believing everything I see on the internet, especially when its based on a second hand account. Im also smart for not jumping to conclusions and judging others I have no knowledge of.
    There are no facts in this case as you continue to strongly believe with use of capital letters. There is much to dispute because guess what? We dont know what the facts are, unless you are the one that was pulled over, and you were not.
    Do you believe that removing a firearm from its holster in front of a police officer is more or less safe than if it was left in its holster? (in this scenario, broken tail light)

  2.   
  3. #32
    I don't want to argue the merits of disclosure vs non. My original post was based solely on what my son says happened, not what my son "should" have done.

    Whether or not it's wise to inform is irrelevent to this post and has been discussed in other threads ad-infinitum, the past is the past, what has happened has happened.

    I agree with LCDR, at absolute BEST, the cop put himself, my son, and any nearby bystanders in danger. At worst, this could have been a real tragedy and a very long night for someone's family.

    I was just looking for input that might have justified the deputy's actions. I am not a LEO and I did not sleep at a holiday in express last night.

    I almost WISH the LEO in question would have issued a ticket for the tail light. Then at least I would know who he was and could contact his supervisor for hopefully some training before he gets hurt, or causes an innocent bystander to be hurt.

    It seemed to me to be wreckless and irresponsible for a LEO to take that action. After reading your comments, my opinion has not changed and has been reinforced.

  4. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Keykutter, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a gun in a holster is safer than a gun being handled by a person on the side of the road. Of course, if you were on a boomer, you might just be a rocket scientist.
    Fast and black Sea Scout. ;) Tomahawks, not Tridents!

    KK

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Do you believe that removing a firearm from its holster in front of a police officer is more or less safe than if it was left in its holster? (in this scenario, broken tail light)
    I dont have an opinion on this case because I was not there. If I was a cop (and if all goes as planned, I will be), I would probably just tell him to keep it holstered and keep his hands on the steering wheel. The only thing Im doing is being a "badge polisher" and pointing out that none of us have any right to judge the cop because this is all based on a second hand account.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I need to resume polishing my CCW badge as well ;)

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle:242383
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Do you believe that removing a firearm from its holster in front of a police officer is more or less safe than if it was left in its holster? (in this scenario, broken tail light)
    I dont have an opinion on this case because I was not there. If I was a cop (and if all goes as planned, I will be), I would probably just tell him to keep it holstered and keep his hands on the steering wheel. The only thing Im doing is being a "badge polisher" and pointing out that none of us have any right to judge the cop because this is all based on a second hand account.

    Now if you'll excuse me, I need to resume polishing my CCW badge as well ;)
    When you go through academy, when they show you videos of police encounters, is that going to be your answer? You have no opinion in the matter because you weren't there?

    How long is a police academy? (off topic)

  7. #36
    You guys are brutal! ;)

    KK

  8. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    When you go through academy, when they show you videos of police encounters, is that going to be your answer? You have no opinion in the matter because you weren't there?

    How long is a police academy? (off topic)
    I just dont think it is right to judge this guy when none of us know the facts of the situation.
    If I heard from a friend that X is stupid, would you automatically regard X as stupid as well?
    The academy Im looking at is 20 weeks long, Monday through Friday with some Saturdays and evenings, 8AM to 5PM.

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle:242403
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    When you go through academy, when they show you videos of police encounters, is that going to be your answer? You have no opinion in the matter because you weren't there?

    How long is a police academy? (off topic)
    I just dont think it is right to judge this guy when none of us know the facts of the situation.
    If I heard from a friend that X is stupid, would you automatically regard X as stupid as well?
    The academy Im looking at is 20 weeks long, Monday through Friday with some Saturdays and evenings, 8AM to 5PM.
    While I agree we shouldn't be calling the officer stupid, though I haven't seen anyone say that, I agree with the majority that the act of moving the firearms location was wrong and dangerous. Even you said you would not have done it. If it's policy, there should be a policy review. If it's not policy, then the officer needs some retraining.

    Do you need a degree to become a police officer now days?

  10. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    While I agree we shouldn't be calling the officer stupid, though I haven't seen anyone say that, I agree with the majority that the act of moving the firearms location was wrong and dangerous. Even you said you would not have done it. If it's policy, there should be a policy review. If it's not policy, then the officer needs some retraining.

    Do you need a degree to become a police officer now days?
    One city Im looking at wants a 4 year degree which I have so it works out. Others require 2 year degree or at least some honorable military service. Less education= bottom ranks of department

  11. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas,NV
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    This argument is all hearsay. None of us including you have any knowledge about this officer's department policies. My post took up a much more broad argument about general policing because of a poster who seems to have little or no knowledge of the criminal justice system. (The poster makes a comment about the whole reason for being pulled over was a broken tail light and he doesnt think that warrants any show of force at all by a cop. He fails to realize pulling people over for tail lights is a big deal for officer safety and for catching wanted criminals).

    In my opinion, the officer attempted to place himself in a more advantaged position. Smart or stupid way of going about it? I can't say because I wasn't there, nor was anyone here. So lets rephrase your argument by placing the words "I feel that..." or "in my opinion...", or "based on hearsay evidence, I feel that the officer..."
    ###very well put###

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast