Decision to make if an officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violaiton - Page 14

View Poll Results: Tell or not to Tell

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tell officer you have a weapon

76 60.80%
  • Say nothing

49 39.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Decision to make if an officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violaiton

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeyes View Post
    not making stuff up sgb but it seems you just want to troll me on this issue .......in florida if an officer asks you're supposed to inform the officer where your fire arm is as far as i understand our law here to be and i have no problem doing so either......that is how i interpreted it and i think that is what our instructor said as well when i took the ccwp class

what part of this are you not understanding ''Informing Law Enforcement of Carry:
    Informing law enforcement is required upon demand.''??????????????
    Correcting false claims purported as fact isn't trolling. You continue to spout this drivel without a shred of substantiation even after being called on to do so. The law says one must carry and present their Concealed Weapons and Firearms License, much the same as when asked for a drivers license when stopped for a traffic violation. Failure to have your License on you is a $25 administrative fine. Nothing in the statute says that you must affirm that you're carrying simply because a LEO asks. Still waiting for you to prove otherwise ............. oh wait. You can't because you're parroting misinformed BS.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Correcting false claims purported as fact isn't trolling. You continue to spout this drivel without a shred of substantiation even after being called on to do so. The law says one must carry and present their Concealed Weapons and Firearms License, much the same as when asked for a drivers license when stopped for a traffic violation. Failure to have your License on you is a $25 administrative fine. Nothing in the statute says that you must affirm that you're carrying simply because a LEO asks. Still waiting for you to prove otherwise ............. oh wait. You can't because you're parroting misinformed BS.
    Remember that discussion we had about lost causes?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

On the back of Louisiana permit:
    Warning:Whenever you are detained by a police officer,you will immediately inform the officer that you are carrying a concealed handgun.Failure to do so may cause this permit to be revoked.

5. canislupus

in missouri you don't have to tell them, but they will know when they run your drivers license and tag.
    but missouri is a castle state so you can carry in your vehicle even without a ccw.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Remember that discussion we had about lost causes?
    ... Yes

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    In some states, you are required to inform the officer. Other states have no such requirement.

Personally - I always inform. With a few (much publicized) exceptions, officers are appreciative and put at ease if you let them know.
    Hey Phil, I was told by an instructor for the Mass. permit to say nothing unless you want to spend an hour going over stuff with the LEO. I guess if there is no chance of the officer seeing the gun on the floor of your car if it slides out as the OP had it under the seat it would be better not to say anything if the law in your state does not demand you disclose. If the officer asks you to get out of the car no matter what the law states I think disclosing would be the better option.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    Here in Massachusetts there is no law to inform and IMO it is best not to. This is a basically non-gun friendly state culturally and the LEOs are no different than the population. If they want to know they'll ask. I work with several LEO's where I teach and they all agree they don't want to know and all say every LEO they know doesn't want to know either because it creates a hassle for them. If you declare they have to call for backup, take the gun off of you, and see if everything is legal and etc. Why turn a simple traffic stop into an extended ordeal? Only declare if mandatory, if asked, or if they ask you for some reason to step out of the vehicle.
    Exactly! I agree. This is what my Mass instructor told the class.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Blog Entries
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. - Patrick Henry

10. Made a California stop at a stop sign last Thursday. I did run the stop sign by not coming to a complete stop. Two Officers lit me up and I pulled over. I had my carry in a IWB on might right side. My billfold with license & Carry Permit were in my right rear pocket. My seat belt unlatch was on my right side too.
    When the LEO came up I had both my hands on my steering wheel and informed the officer that I had a Carry Permit and that I was armed. The LEO told the other officer that I had a weapon so he came up to the passenger side.
    The LEO asked me where my weapon was. I said that it is on my right hip and that my billfold was in my right rear pocket and I can't unlock my belt because everything is on my right side.
    The LEO thanked me for telling them that I had a weapon and asked me to get out of the car. I asked if it was ok to move my hand down to my right side and was told yes. I'm sure the other officer was watching me closely.
    I undid the belt and opened the door and got out. I asked the LEO if they needed to see my weapon and was told "No, just telling them was enough but they did look at my license and carry permit. I got a lecture on running the stop sign and was then told to be on my way and once again thanked me for telling them that I had a weapon.
    I realized this confrontation could have taken any direction that my attitude allowed it to go. I realized that they are dealing with folks they don't know who could do them bodily harm so why would I want to provoke an altercation.
    I think all us folks that carry have to understand our situations with LEO's aren't always going to be in an unstressful situation. We have to use enough judgement to try to diffuse any potential problems just by our demeanor.
    The folks were relieved to know that I wasn't a bad guy and that I made their job easier by telling them up front that I was armed.
    My first LEO stop went well because I treated them with respect and they returned it to me.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314