Decision to make if an officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violaiton - Page 5

View Poll Results: Tell or not to Tell

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tell officer you have a weapon

76 60.80%
  • Say nothing

49 39.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision to make if an officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violaiton

1. In Missouri, a concealed permit is an "endorsement" on residents' driver license. It seems to also appear when a vehicle registered to a licensee is run.
    My daughter used to work as a dispatcher for the county sheriff/911 office and drove a car registered to me. One of the new Hwy Patrol troopers was checking her out and ran her vehicle plate which came back as belonging to me AND showed I had a CCW. The young trooper seemed a little "put off" as she called it when he found out Daddy packs a popper.

In PA, it's not required, no reason to mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by unclewayne17 View Post
    In Michigan we tell the officer we are licenced and whether we are carrieing at the time.
    Why bring it up at all if you are not armed at the time???

Quote Originally Posted by bootsdeal View Post
    Law in Texas has been revised. You don't have to voluntarily inform, however CHL is linked to DL on officer's computer, so if he asks, better tell him the truth, cause he already knows if you have a CHL, and if so, he'll assume you're carrying.
    Law was revised as far as eliminating the penalty...the law itself still exists.

New Wording

GC 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a li-
    cense holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's
    person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license
    holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the li-
    cense holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the
    department and the license holder's handgun license.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    HAHA! I should have read at least the reply above mine before I posted. :-). I returned from a manning conference in Millington TN where I have been for eairlier this week.
    Did you inform the front desk person at the hotel that you were carrying? After all, it's for their safety?

5. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Did you inform the front desk person at the hotel that you were carrying? After all, it's for their safety?
    Yes, I did. They had a little status board behind the desk with the room numbers and little magnetic guns. She put one of the guns over my room number. She said not to worry, in the event of robberies, that would direct the criminals to the rooms farthest away from the guns.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Yes, I did. They had a little status board behind the desk with the room numbers and little magnetic guns. She put one of the guns over my room number. She said not to worry, in the event of robberies, that would direct the criminals to the rooms farthest away from the guns.
    I guess I should also add, did you inform the Taxi driver who took you there, that you were carrying as well?

That is some funny right there.

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    That is some funny right there.
    Considering the posters involved, what did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Originally Posted by unclewayne17

In Michigan we tell the officer we are licenced and whether we are carrieing at the time.

Why bring it up at all if you are not armed at the time???

New Wording
    Because in Michigan it's required at the BEGINNING of a traffic stop. There was a court case where an individual didn't becuase the law wasn't clear. They amended the law to make it clear. You must inform even though they usually already know and will certainly know when they run your license. You must inform even if you are not carrying.

10. Quote Originally Posted by alduane View Post
    Because in Michigan it's required at the BEGINNING of a traffic stop. There was a court case where an individual didn't becuase the law wasn't clear. They amended the law to make it clear. You must inform even though they usually already know and will certainly know when they run your license. You must inform even if you are not carrying.
    You will be able to provide a citation to this law that you are alluding to? The written and published statutes do not agree with your statement(and I don't see how the bold and underlined part could be any more clear than it is):

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425f

28.425f Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to police officer; violation; penalty; seizure; forfeiture; "peace officer" defined.
    Sec. 5f.

(1) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol shall have his or her license to carry that pistol in his or her possession at all times he or she is carrying a concealed pistol.

(2) An individual who is licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol shall show both of the following to a peace officer upon request by that peace officer:

(a) His or her license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) His or her driver license or Michigan personal identification card.

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I have to admit you are right on the law. I was relying on the law classes I took which the first was in 2004. There may have been some "advice" included there, if the law hasn't changed. If you are a Michigan CPL holder they will know as soon as they run your license and officers will know about it when they return to your car. Fortunately, I've never had the oportunity to try this out the past seven years as I haven't been stopped for anything.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast