Decision to make if an officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violaiton - Page 6

View Poll Results: Tell or not to Tell

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tell officer you have a weapon

76 60.80%
  • Say nothing

49 39.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision to make if an officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violaiton

I'm in Fla, from what I understand I don't have to tell the LEO's anything about my gun, but I would just hand him/her my CCW along with my drivers license. Wouldn't want any suprises!

Since HR-822 passed, now we will have to know the law in 49 States if we get pulled over packing. E-gads, my memory won't allow for it.

I think all States should go back to the 2nd the way it was intended instead of turning this thing into a cash cow. Instead of making us pay and carry a card around for something we already have a right to do, make the bad guys carry a card that says they don't have the right!

4. Quote Originally Posted by dmiladin View Post
    I am in Pa and I have a legal CCW permit and have my handgun under my carseat. What is the best practice in the situation when. a state trooper/local officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violation? In a split second you have time to assess the attitude of the officer and determine if you come forward and inform him you possess a legal CCW license and have a weapon under the carseat or do you say nothing and leave things more or less up as chance? What do the experts say and what are the pros and cons? I would be interested in some of you fellow officers opinions and/or preferences...Tell or not to Tell?
    In MN we are required to notify 'Upon Request' of a peace officer. But that doesn't matter because all MN speeder maids are trained to precede any conversation with the generic 'Do you have any weapons, guns, hand grenades, bazookas in the car' line. Meaning everytime you are pulled over in MN you are 'de facto' required by law to inform them that you are armed pursuant to MN Statute 624.714. (Subd 1.B - Section D)

Still, the onus is upon the officer to ask if you are armed.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/data/revi...5/624/714.html

(d) Upon the request of a peace officer, a permit holder
    shall disclose to the officer whether or not the permit holder
    is currently carrying a firearm.

Not a big deal.

I am not sure the implications of an officer asking if there are any 'Illegal' weapons in the car and not informing, but I wouldn't want to be the test case.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    Since HR-822 passed, now we will have to know the law in 49 States if we get pulled over packing.
    1. HR-822 has not passed.
    2. What exactly will change? You already must abide by the state law of whatever state you are physically present in already, regardless of if your out-of-state CCW permit is recognized or not.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

The poll should have the option "I avoid driving behavior that would get me pulled over". A CCer can't convincingly claim he has good situational awareness if he frequently speeds.

As Florida doesn't require it to be disclosed unless asked, why stir up troubles? Back when I took my law enforcement classes, which was way before Florida had CCW, the first thing stressed was always assume that a person is armed when doing a stop. 37 years later when I got my license, the Sheriff's Deputy told me they assume the same. For a simple traffic stop, they don't even ask. In the case of some State Troopers, they actually get madder if you tell them or hand them the license. Our DL and our CWorF license are not linked and are controlled by two different State Agencies.

I have yet to have a bad experience with a LEO so...I will always inform. If I am roughed up or my rights violated my attorney will deal with it and I will get new toys with the settlement money
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    I have yet to have a bad experience with a LEO so...I will always inform. If I am roughed up or my rights violated my attorney will deal with it and I will get new toys with the settlement money
    My lawyers would do the same if the bad experience came from a LEO violating my rights. The 4th and 5th Amendments plus the Florida Constitution and laws would take care of any attitude about not offering it right up front. Surprising how many are willing to give up a Right. And yes, I'd get some new toys too.

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    That's like saying you won't carry a gun until AFTER you're robbed or assaulted.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    That's like saying you won't carry a gun until AFTER you're robbed or assaulted.
    Please read the thread again -- that is not what festus and S&W645 meant... :(((
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast