Decision to make if an officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violaiton - Page 7

View Poll Results: Tell or not to Tell

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tell officer you have a weapon

76 60.80%
  • Say nothing

49 39.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision to make if an officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violaiton

1. Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    That's like saying you won't carry a gun until AFTER you're robbed or assaulted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    Please read the thread again -- that is not what festus and S&W645 meant... :(((
    Actually, mom, in the post by festus that Deanimator quoted, I think that analogy is valid. It sounds to me what festus was saying is that he has no problem waiving his Fourth Amendment rights and providing information regarding his identity, carry permit and lawfully carried firearm voluntarily to a police officer without any legal obligation to do so. At this point, he is doing nothing to exercise or protect his 4th Amendment rights. Just like a person not carrying a gun is doing nothing to protect themselves from robbery or assault.

Then, after his voluntary waiver of his 4th Amendment rights results in abuse by the police officer, he will seek an attorney, AFTER the fact, to try to seek justice. Like a person who goes out and gets a gun after an attack.

Now, it seemed like S&W645 said exactly the opposite. He said that he would protect his 4th Amendment rights by not offering information not required by law. Then, if his refusal to waive his 4th Amendment rights results in abuse by the officer, he will contact an attorney to seek justice.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    Please read the thread again -- that is not what festus and S&W645 meant... :(((
    They appear to have mean OPPOSITE things.

I've already made my decision. I'm going to use my right to remain silent and not say a word. A lot of people don't think about it, but the LEO doesn't have to inform someone of their right to remain silent for that right to apply.
    The 5th Amendment guarantees that I have the right to not incriminate myself. If some places are treating carrying a firearm as a potential crime, why are they basically forcing people to incriminate themselves. This is a violation of the 2nd, 5th, and 9th Amendment.

Don't see what all the hub-bub is about. Most States require you to inform if CC'ing, some do not. In those that don't, I would inform. Just me, my decision, my call. Fully respect those that exercise their God given rights to not inform. I will say though, if and when the LEO finds out that you have concealed anything, let alone a weapon. He'll sure as heck going to escalate the stop no matter what you'll say after the fact. ME, I just wanna get along. Legally that is and make nice-nice to the officer. Again, just me. MOST of these guys are the good guys.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

6. Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Don't see what all the hub-bub is about. Most States require you to inform if CC'ing, some do not. In those that don't, I would inform.
    Only 10 states require you to inform. 40 do not. Rumor is that Ohio is changing their law to not require it do to the Harless incident.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    I will say though, if and when the LEO finds out that you have concealed anything, let alone a weapon. He'll sure as heck going to escalate the stop no matter what you'll say after the fact.
    I am living testimony that is not a given. When the LEO that stopped me for speeding saw my openly carried firearm in my holster on my belt after he asked me to exit the vehicle, he didn't say or do anything about it. I did not inform him of my CPL or my gun prior to exiting the vehicle. Granted, this was after he had run my license and knew that I was a Navy officer.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Once does not a trend make, CMDR. Glad your incident went well.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

8. Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Maybe not. But it does make a "given" not so much a "given"! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

Now, it seemed like S&W645 said exactly the opposite. He said that he would protect his 4th Amendment rights by not offering information not required by law. Then, if his refusal to waive his 4th Amendment rights results in abuse by the officer, he will contact an attorney to seek justice.
    Correct. If not asked, I won't tell.

As for being a LEO being dangerous, logging is more so. Agriculture in general, is more dangerous. I spent two weeks in the hospital from agri-chemical exposure which could killed me. The after affects are still not totally known but it has been banned and it is now a known cancer causing agent. Police patrol officers only rank as ninth of the top fifteen. Farmers and ranchers comes in fourth. Loggers are second. Commercial fishing is number one. The 15 Most Dangerous Jobs In America I've worked in #15, 13, 11, 10, and 4 which includes some #2.

10. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Correct. If not asked, I won't tell.

As for being a LEO being dangerous, logging is more so. Agriculture in general, is more dangerous. I spent two weeks in the hospital from agri-chemical exposure which could killed me. The after affects are still not totally known but it has been banned and it is now a known cancer causing agent. Police patrol officers only rank as ninth of the top fifteen. Farmers and ranchers comes in fourth. Loggers are second. Commercial fishing is number one. The 15 Most Dangerous Jobs In America I've worked in #15, 13, 11, 10, and 4 which includes some #2.
    Garbage collector is more dangerous than police officer. If a city had to lay off either there police force or garbage collectors because of budget, I would rather have my garbage collector working every week.

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    How about twice? happened to me too.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast