Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tell officer you have a weapon

76 60.80%
  • Say nothing

49 39.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Decision to make if an officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violaiton

1. Smile Decision to make if an officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violaiton

I am in Pa and I have a legal CCW permit and have my handgun under my carseat. What is the best practice in the situation when. a state trooper/local officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violation? In a split second you have time to assess the attitude of the officer and determine if you come forward and inform him you possess a legal CCW license and have a weapon under the carseat or do you say nothing and leave things more or less up as chance? What do the experts say and what are the pros and cons? I would be interested in some of you fellow officers opinions and/or preferences...Tell or not to Tell?

3. State law will determine this. Some states, you are required to disclose; some states you are not. Check the law in your state.

In some states, you are required to inform the officer. Other states have no such requirement.

Personally - I always inform. With a few (much publicized) exceptions, officers are appreciative and put at ease if you let them know.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by dmiladin View Post
    I am in Pa and I have a legal CCW permit and have my handgun under my carseat. What is the best practice in the situation when. a state trooper/local officer pulls you over for a routine traffic violation? In a split second you have time to assess the attitude of the officer and determine if you come forward and inform him you possess a legal CCW license and have a weapon under the carseat or do you say nothing and leave things more or less up as chance? What do the experts say and what are the pros and cons? I would be interested in some of you fellow officers opinions and/or preferences...Tell or not to Tell?
    There has been a lot of traffic regarding this topic in the past.

So much depends on, of course, whether you are legally obligated to inform, whether a routine plate check will reveal you have a CCW, the attitude of the officer, the attitude of your local force in general, the part of the country you live in and how much crime it sees, the circumstances of your detainment, and any priors you might have.

Me, even though some of my local cops are real dill-holes, I have yet to see the level of dickery that would make me clam up about my weapon. At the present time, I would hand the officer my license as well as my CCW card as a courtesy, mainly because I carry in a bag and wouldn't want a glimpse being interpreted as a threat, and I know that it is a gesture that would be appreciated.

PS - under the seat is a less than optimal place to carry a firearm. If you have a concealed carry permit, I recommend keeping it on your person, on your console, in an under-the-dash holster/holder...or any place that is readily accessible. If you get car-jacked or otherwise assaulted while driving, there is NO WAY you're getting at a gun under the seat.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Here in Massachusetts there is no law to inform and IMO it is best not to. This is a basically non-gun friendly state culturally and the LEOs are no different than the population. If they want to know they'll ask. I work with several LEO's where I teach and they all agree they don't want to know and all say every LEO they know doesn't want to know either because it creates a hassle for them. If you declare they have to call for backup, take the gun off of you, and see if everything is legal and etc. Why turn a simple traffic stop into an extended ordeal? Only declare if mandatory, if asked, or if they ask you for some reason to step out of the vehicle.

No law to inform here in Washington. I wouldnt say anything unless specifically asked.

It is required in Michigan. I would tell them regardless, no sense in making the situation worse.

Law requires it in Texas and is connected to your drivers license, they know.

Not required here in New York, but as a General rule I do notify, and give them my permit when I hand Drivers License to Officer.The 2 times I jave been pulled over, producing my CCW has gotten me out of 2 tickets

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast