Walmart - LEO Encounter
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walmart - LEO Encounter

1. Walmart - LEO Encounter

As I was walking in my local WalMart, I noticed one of my police buddies standing at the door. I approached him and asked what his take was on Open Carrying in stores such as this one. He replied: "I would ask, well, if it's ok with the store then I would have no problem. As long as it's not concealed, you're good to go."

I told him I own a PF9 and thought about open carrying in stores. He said that would be completely ok! Apparently Jeff knows the state law very well :)

I guess I won't have to worry about open carrying in the city of Lexington anymore...

In KS, the state says ok but the local cities and counties can make their own rules. It's a crime in overland park, but not a state crime.

A word of advice. Never take legal advice from an LEO. He may be your buddy...but if he advised you wrong, and it goes to court, you can bet that conversation will be one that he "can't recall."
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

5. If your State has CCW thats great, myself I feel the less people see the better, so I CCW and will stay CCW even if Oklahoma votes for OC.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    A word of advice. Never take legal advice from an LEO. He may be your buddy...but if he advised you wrong, and it goes to court, you can bet that conversation will be one that he "can't recall."
    OC is 100% legal in KY :)

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    The DA, or most any attorney for that matter, won't give $.02 worth of consideration as to what any cop did nor did not say to anyone about any law, nor would they care about any advise the cop did or did not give, nor would most judges or most groups of hand chosen 12. ...Just my $.02.

Like Phillip said, sorta, a cop can tell you he'd look the other way if you went through this or that stop sign, but...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

8. Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    The DA, or most any attorney for that matter, won't give $.02 worth of consideration as to what any cop did nor did not say to anyone about any law, nor would they care about any advise the cop did or did not give, nor would most judges or most groups of hand chosen 12. ...Just my $.02.

Like Phillip said, sorta, a cop can tell you he'd look the other way if you went through this or that stop sign, but...
    I do agree. Cops are shady characters and will snitch on you/make up lies to get them places in a heartbeat! Oh, those places being a "Detectives" desk.

Quote Originally Posted by lavaman View Post
    I do agree. Cops are shady characters and will snitch on you/make up lies to get them places in a heartbeat! Oh, those places being a "Detectives" desk.
    I cant help but notice the anti-cop sentiment, so lets try to make sense of it.
    Next year is police academy for me, so since police are "shady characters", at what point does my character become "shady"? Am I shady already? Do I become shady when I put on a badge? Do I become shady when I help a woman escape her abusive husband who threatens to kill her and the kids if she doesnt leave the house? Or do a small percentage of the police make mistakes from time to time in which you see them in the news and that causes you to stereotype and label all police as "shady characters"?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    I cant help but notice the anti-cop sentiment, so lets try to make sense of it.
    Next year is police academy for me, so since police are "shady characters", at what point does my character become "shady"? Am I shady already? Do I become shady when I put on a badge? Do I become shady when I help a woman escape her abusive husband who threatens to kill her and the kids if she doesnt leave the house? Or do a small percentage of the police make mistakes from time to time in which you see them in the news and that causes you to stereotype and label all police as "shady characters"?
    Police officers become "shady" the minute they step foot in a police academy setting. Why? Because the academy turns an ordinary citizen into an officer of the law. You are trained to recognize every citizen as a criminal and stereotype to create probable cause. Having gone on several patrol ridealongs, I've witnessed the lazy, unethical persona's these officers possess on a daily basis. Officers should "enforce" the laws in which all citizens shall abide by. Not create new one's and intimidate the vulnerable public.

One of the first things I noticed here on USAC is the anti LEO sentiment. I even commented on it after just a couple of days on this site.

I don't get it either. In 57 years, I have run into a 'holier than thou' attitude in a handful of them but I usually attribute that to the fact that they are uncomfortable with their position in a certain setting and they want you to be sure they are unapproachable as a friend. I maintain respect and all remains fine. Most of the time they even may lighten up.

I've seen it go the other way when others portray an attitude toward them.

Most have been just regular guys trying to do their jobs while trying to stay aware of the surroundings.

There are some horror stories and those are splattered all over the news and Internet which exacerbates the feelings on both sides.

With the attitudes portrayed here on a site that seemingly should be a group of folks who supposedly are law abiding citizens and have proven they are by the fact that they are gun owners, gun buyers and having attained the proper credentials allowing them to carry a weapon, it sure seems like there is a disdain for the folks who are charged with enforcing the law.

I am nobody's suck up or ass kisser. You can ask anyone that has known me for any period of time. Showing a bit of respect for LEO's takes nothing of my time and because I do, maybe that is why I never have a problem with those who are charged with enforcing the law.

I guess, in most cases, you get what you give. Show me a butt hole cop and I'll show you 100 and more civilians who are worse.

Just sayin'.

I'm ready to take my licks but I'm not budging from this opinion. I haven't so far and it's easier to maintain than to change.

KK

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast