Virginia State Police Encounter - positive! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Virginia State Police Encounter - positive!

1. Actually, I am sitting at a round table right now, enjoying a cold beverage as I am posting this. And the new boy interested in my daughter left a while ago, and texted her and asked, "What does your dad do? I noticed that thing on his belt. Was it a tazer or a real gun?"
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

And you thought nobody noticed it. I told you so! :)

KK

My neighbour's husband cleans his gun when his daughter brings a-courting guy home...We used to laugh at his accounts when he relates his antic to us.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

5. This kid looked just exactly like Carrot Top the comedian, I swear. I might have turned my strong side a litte bit more towards him than usual when I met him. I am sure it was completely subconsciously :->. If he keeps going to karaoke night, I'll have to sing Cleaning This Gun by Rodney Atkins. I know they have it on their song list, I looked already!
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Keykutter View Post
    Well if you mean I tell students the best way to walk away unscathed is to comply, within reason, to a request by an LEO to see my cred's, yeah you're right.
    No one is talking about not complying w/ a reasonable request from an officer. (In most states refusal to show a permit upon request is illegal) What is being address is producing ID or informing when it hasn’t been requested and isn’t legally required.

If you’re just walking down the street and a cop stops you, you should immediately ascertain weather or not you’re free to leave. The easiest way to do this is simply ask the cop “Officer am I free to go?” If he says you are do it.

Cops don’t just stop random people on the street to make conversation, if he stopped you there’s a reason and the worst thing you can do is engage him in conversation because the longer you talk the more likely you are to say something he can use against you. So, it goes like this

Cop: excuse me Buck can I ask you a couple of questions?
    Buck: Sorry Officer I really don’t have time right now. Am I free to go?
    Cop: It’s really just a couple of quick questions, I would really help me out if you cooperate.
    Buck: Officer, as I stated I do not have time to speak with you. Am I free to go?
    Cop: Yes you can leave, but it would really help me…
    Buck: Thank you Officer good day.

If a cop ever tells you you’re not free to go that means he has a reasonable suspicion base on clearly articuable facts that you have, in fact, committed a crime and is looking for probable cause to arrest you. (If he had PC you’d all ready be in handcuffs)
    This is absolutely the time to calmly and firmly assert your rights and shut up!

Cop: No buck you are not free to go I’m detaining you because….
    Buck: Officer I don’t wish to answer any questions or make any statement w/out my lawyer present.
    Cop: Buck right now is the time for you to be cooperating with me, it’ll go much easier for you if you do.
    Buck: Officer I don’t wish to answer any questions or make any statement w/out my lawyer present.
    Cop: Yada Yada Yada

Get the picture?
    You and the Police
    Kenneth W. Royce (Writing as Boston T. Party)
    Javelin Press 2006

PS a cop will be along shortly to tell you how wrong my information is and how much better your life will be if you just cooperate with the cops
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

7. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    If a cop ever tells you you’re not free to go that means he has a reasonable suspicion base on clearly articuable facts that you have, in fact, committed a crime and is looking for probable cause to arrest you.
    I must disagree with you on that, Treo. If a cop ever tells you are not free to go, that means that he has detained you. There may or may not be "reasonable suspicion base on clearly articuable facts that you have, in fact, committed a crime." The St. John v. Alamogordo Police Order court case and opinion very clearly illustrates that police sometimes detain people with no reasonable or articulable suspicion. I have been detained myself under extremely similar circumstances as St. John with no RAS.

I completely agree with your statement, "is looking for probable cause to arrest you. (If he had PC you’d all ready be in handcuffs) This is absolutely the time to calmly and firmly assert your rights and shut up!"

Also, "PS a cop will be along shortly to tell you how wrong my information is and how much better your life will be if you just cooperate with the cops" I, personally, believe should begin with "PS a cop or CCW instructor...."

That being said, cooperating with police officers during certain detainments will certainly 'better your life' such as getting a traffic ticket, so long as the detainment remains completely confined to the reason for the traffic stop only and does not start to get into subjects such as "where are you going? What are you doing in this neighborhood?"

In Utah a permit holder does not have to volunteer that they have a permit, or that they are armed when pulled over in a vehicle. However, if the cop runs the DL it will show that they have a permit. I encourage my students to volunteer that information as a courtesy, and gesture of cooperation to put the cop at ease. They will find out anyway, so being proactive just helps the situation. Cooperative and compliant are not necessarily the same thing, and approached in a vehicle is different than approached on the street.

I don't know why this approach is viewed by some as feelings of guilt. I have no feelings of guilt for carrying. For me it is, "I am exercising my rights, and I'm on your side. I'm one of the good guys that is helping lower violent crime rates simply by my willingness to be armed. I am trying to make the streets safer for LEOs because criminals know there are others like me out there that can protect ourselves and our loved ones. I want you to be comfortable knowing I value your safety and appreciate what you face everyday to protect and serve."

Don't think I have the sheepdog attitude and I am looking for opportunities to fight crime. I'm just saying that stats prove that as gun ownership and CCW permits increase, crime decreases.

All the LEOs I personally know are grateful to have armed law-abiding citizens. As I have asked them about volunteering information they have all said that when someone tells them they are armed they don't worry, but when that information is withheld they wonder why, especially when the person knows that they'll find out anyway.

Phillip, I think you acted perfectly, and that your encounter is the most common result and not the exception. Thanks for your example.

9. Quote Originally Posted by olsparky View Post
    As I have asked them about volunteering information they have all said that when someone tells them they are armed they don't worry, but when that information is withheld they wonder why, especially when the person knows that they'll find out anyway.
    You didn't happen to ask why they wonder the information was withheld, did you? If my cell phone rings during the stop, are they going to wonder why I did not tell them I have a cell phone with unlimited minutes plan? If they find out about a person's pilot license, are they going to wonder why they weren't told? If they find out the person has a license to operate a day care center, are they going to wonder why they weren't told? I'm trying to figure out the difference here. Why is there ANY concern that a person has a license to engage in an activity, operate a business, or possess any particular object during a traffic stop? Seems like the only documents of interest should be driver's license, insurance and registration, notwithstanding any additional requirements in law, obviously.

For example, let's say officer friendly finds out on the radio I have a CPL because he has already approached me and I've given him DL, insurance and registration. Why would officer friendly feel any need to come back and ask if I am carrying a gun, when he did not ask before at a time when he did not know if I was the Pope or Al Capone?

I just love a good cat fight. Carry on...

Popcorn anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images Virginia State Police Encounter - positive!-popcorn.gif 

WV, 3rd bridge south, second girder in, deep amidst the shadows
    Et Al,
    Gotta wonder about some people's kids when this thread is read. LCDR, you should know better than to be so easily baited. As for the cold one, antique oak table, bottle of Couvosier XO and a bit of ice. Read a posting, take a sip, try not to do so with a few comments, spewing on the screen makes a mess.

Over the limit will get her a ticket indeed, two to take care of in the back seat or not. Richmond is no different than any other city in that regard.

Deal with LEO, yeah you could say that ... US Capitol Police, DC Metro, DC Transit, Federal Protective Service, Secret Service, Federal Marshals, US Supreme Court, daily. I am employed by the US Congress.

99.9% are decent, friendly, professional to be in contact with. A little courtesy goes a long way every day passing through the multiple checkpoints all day long. Quite often it makes it a lot smoother as the officers know me as some one who is not looking to give them a hard time. Most know I shoot competively as well. Copy of current American Handgunner or Small Arms Review hanging out of my kit might be a giveaway there.

Y'all take care and be safe
    pfb
    " A congressman with a vote is more dangerous than a redneck with a brand new and loaded gun."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast