leo firsked me today! - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: leo firsked me today!

1. Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    Fwiw I got out of more than a dozen traffic tickets not by kowtow but showing the Leo common respect I show everyone. = Being nice. Seem to work sometimes. Every time they were within there right to give me a ticket for speeding ect...jme
    Yep, it has worked for me multiple times in the past, too. Nobody here is advocating not showing police officers the same common respect we show everyone else, or not being nice to them.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Yep, it has worked for me multiple times in the past, too. Nobody here is advocating not showing police officers the same common respect we show everyone else, or not being nice to them.
    Yea I just skimmed through an probably mixed the bad cop in the first post with some other post. But if it were me I most likely would have just let it go. He was showing off. Personally I don't need extra trouble. This is my life now. But 20yrs ago I would have done much worst than what the op said. Not worth the headaches IME

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
    Yea I just skimmed through an probably mixed the bad cop in the first post with some other post. But if it were me I most likely would have just let it go. He was showing off. Personally I don't need extra trouble. This is my life now. But 20yrs ago I would have done much worst than what the op said. Not worth the headaches IME
    Some people are just pricks, some people are cops, there's gonna be some overlap I find looking them square in the eye and saying "Jesus loves you friend" generally shuts them right up.

True story: A guy at work tried to start a fight w/me many, many, moons ago. He runs up behind me yelling and screaming, I turn around and he's standing there nose to chest w/ me (and I ain't all that big rantin' and ravin' and I look at him and say "God loves you and has a plan for your life" the air went out of him like a baloon , It was priceless. Last thing I heard him say was 'You have a good weekend sir."
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger View Post
    How would you have handled the incident at the gas station?
    Formal complaint. If there's security video, get my lawyer to obtain it and put it out on YouTube. As soon as I wasn't being physically restrained, there'd be audio to go with the video.

The funny thing about videos is that it's like socks in a drier with no Bounce. They tend to attract each other. Ask Harless about that.

I'd do everything humanly possible to make life difficult for the cop in question, especially if I could catch him in a lie on paper. That makes you poison on the stand. In fact, you may never testify to anything again as long as you live. No sane prosecutor will invite the hassle.

You unlawfully get physical with me and I get physical with your ability to make a living.

NavyLCDR....
    You are correct. I noticed many of the post discussed taking the complaint to the Peace Officers supervisor. I take exception to this approach. In my humble opinion, when you take the complaint to the supervisor you are basically "grumbling" about hurt feelings. (the supervisor will protect his underling, in ALL cases.)
    I recommend when you experience a "less than favorable" encounter with any public servant, especially Peace Officers, that you make a mental note of all the circumstances, badge number, location, time, officers name.
    As soon as possible, transfer all of this data to a word document. Most importantly, honesty is paramount. After the incident is on paper,swear to the document and have it certified by a Notary.
    Contact your local City/County/State Administrative offices and ask to address the City/County/State Council meeting in the local where you pay taxes, and/or where the incident took place. The Mayor will probably chair the meeting along with the Police Commissioner and ELECTED Council members. Have a copy of your complaint ready and present to ALL members of the council. You should verbally EXPRESS your dissatisfaction with the encounter and the Peace Officers lack of professionalism, as well as a violation of your rights. Now you have made a formal complaint regarding the incident "on the record" to the persons who work for YOU....do not expect immediate results, but you have now make a complaint with teeth.
    Be Safe,
    Jim
    Owner, Self Defense CWP

Quote Originally Posted by Self Defense CWP View Post
    NavyLCDR....
    You are correct. I noticed many of the post discussed taking the complaint to the Peace Officers supervisor. I take exception to this approach. In my humble opinion, when you take the complaint to the supervisor you are basically "grumbling" about hurt feelings. (the supervisor will protect his underling, in ALL cases.)
    I recommend when you experience a "less than favorable" encounter with any public servant, especially Peace Officers, that you make a mental note of all the circumstances, badge number, location, time, officers name.
    As soon as possible, transfer all of this data to a word document. Most importantly, honesty is paramount. After the incident is on paper,swear to the document and have it certified by a Notary.
    Contact your local City/County/State Administrative offices and ask to address the City/County/State Council meeting in the local where you pay taxes, and/or where the incident took place. The Mayor will probably chair the meeting along with the Police Commissioner and ELECTED Council members. Have a copy of your complaint ready and present to ALL members of the council. You should verbally EXPRESS your dissatisfaction with the encounter and the Peace Officers lack of professionalism, as well as a violation of your rights. Now you have made a formal complaint regarding the incident "on the record" to the persons who work for YOU....do not expect immediate results, but you have now make a complaint with teeth.
    I certainly have ZERO confidence in any sort of unofficial communication, at least without personal experience with THAT department to the contrary.

There's usually a formal complaint process (if there isn't, that's a dead giveaway that the department is screwed up and out of control). There's certainly nothing wrong with providing copies of your formal complaint to everyone with the authority or influence to make the cop's life miserable. It certainly ensures that the complaint isn't "lost". Make sure you send the copies registered mail, so that there's a record of them having been accepted.

If there's dashcam footage or audio made by the police FOIA it. The posting of the Harless dashcam footage on YouTube was a real kick in the crotch for him and his defenders... and led to the discovery and release of even MORE damning video.

If you've got a blog (if not, Blogspot is easy to use), it's a great way to put this kind of information about a bad cop into the public domain, ESPECIALLY if there's audio and or video. It also makes retaliation MUCH more dangerous for the cop and his friends.

And it can't be said too many times: Where lawful to do so, record ALL police encounters. Don't think for one second that a cop who'd violate the 4th and 5th Amendments wouldn't lie about it afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    I must say if I come across a LEO like this, my only response will be "Are you detaining me or am I free to go?" I would suggest using this line when confronted by one of the LEO's such as this one who give the rest a bad name.
    So agree with you on this issue!

9. Quote Originally Posted by NCIC105 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle
    I must say if I come across a LEO like this, my only response will be "Are you detaining me or am I free to go?" I would suggest using this line when confronted by one of the LEO's such as this one who give the rest a bad name.
    So agree with you on this issue!
    How do I know that the LEO confronting me is one of "those" types or not? That's why I will just ask the question when confronted by any LEO...
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Defense CWP View Post
    NavyLCDR....
    I wouldnt say "ALL" cases. Just poking around the internet on many different carry forums, you will see that many times, especially for open carriers, they are confronted by a LEO, and then the LEO's supervisor is the one who tells the original LEO to back off.

Example from a Colorado open carry forum: An open carrier was confronted by 2 LEOs who were detaining him. He says he is not breaking the law. The LEOs call their sergeant. Sergeant arrives on scene and tells the LEOs to release the man.

Lets not make generalizations.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    How do I know that the LEO confronting me is one of "those" types or not? That's why I will just ask the question when confronted by any LEO...
    Do whatever works for you. How would I know? Depends on the situation. If a LEO comes up to me when I am open carrying and tries to tell me I am breaking the law, then I know he is one of the LEOs for whom I would use that statement "Are you detaining me or am I free to go".

If I am open carrying and a LEO comes up to me and says "Hey, come here... I noticed you have a Glock, how do you like it?...." In this case, I dont need to use the statement.

It just depends on the LEO's attitude, the circumstances, and why they are contacting you. If a LEO just wants to talk about guns with you, in my opinion, it would be rude to say "Are you detaining me or am I free to go". Just my opinion. Only when they are clearly unknowing of the law or start going on the "offensive" with me would I start refusing to talk to them.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast