Question...would you inform or not (not the typical situation presented here)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question...would you inform or not (not the typical situation presented here)

Question...would you inform or not (not the typical situation presented here)

Ok, it finally happened...

A few days ago I bumped into the car in front of me. The owner of that vehicle and myself exited our cars to quickly assess the damage. Very Minor ding on her bumper... then per Florida law, we agreed to drive to the nearest parking lot. (in Fl, cars which are not disabled must exit the roadway)

She (the other driver) immediately called 911 rather than take the simple route and just exchange insurance information(she wanted to "punish" me for hitting her car - more on that later).

So I had to wait for the Police to arrive...

I was outside my car inspecting the damage when the police arrived. The officer asked what happened, I explained my side, the other driver gave her side, we both told pretty much the same story so the officer faulted me for the accident and gave me a ticket. Pretty much what I expected.

Now, MANY of you, even most of the ones who claim "never talk to police" have said that you will inform if you are ever asked to exit the vehicle. Well, I was out of the vehicle dealing with a police officer in official business.

Florida is not a must inform state and I did not inform. All went well, but I was wondering in retrospect that since I was involved in official police business if I perhaps SHOULD have informed.

I can only imagine what could have happened if my shirt lifted and the officer got a glimpse and "freaked out"...

Oh, and that "rest of the story" from above... As her reward for "punishing" me by calling the police, the other driver was ticketed TOO for expired tags! Karma's a beatch ain't it?!

Quote Originally Posted by RRobaldo View Post
    Now, MANY of you, even most of the ones who claim "never talk to police" have said that you will inform if you are ever asked to exit the vehicle. Well, I was out of the vehicle dealing with a police officer in official business.
    Since I am the one who usually makes that statement I will respond. If I am asked to exit the vehicle during a traffic stop I can assume that things have gone south and I am going to be patted down. Under those circumstances I would definetely inform.

Florida is not a must inform state and I did not inform. All went well, but I was wondering in retrospect that since I was involved in official police business if I perhaps SHOULD have informed.
    It seems the bolded part of that paragraph answered the question

I can only imagine what could have happened if my shirt lifted and the officer got a glimpse and "freaked out"...
    Maybe you need to work on your concealment then
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

The gun is irrelevant to the discussion of the traffic accident. Informing in said situation is pointless.

If he asked to pat you down, then definitely let him know where he can find your gun.

You should have immediately showed the officer your permit to carry, informed him of where your gun was and asked how he would like you to proceed. That would have proved to him that you were a good guy, showed respect, and put the officer at ease. I would also suggest a sticky note on the back of your permit with the serial number of your firearm on it so they can run the serial number easily without having to squint to read it from your gun. You never know, maybe you would not have gotten the ticket.

As it was, you were disrespectful to the officer and the officer was in danger the entire time due to your undeclared gun.

^^^^The entire preceding post might be sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    The gun is irrelevant to the discussion of the traffic accident. Informing in said situation is pointless.
    The gun is irrelevant to any traffic stop for speeding, running a stop sign, burned out light....
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Well I had almost the exact same thing happen to me, only I was the one hit. I thought it through as I waited for the police to arrive. I pocket carry a LCP so no way it would become "open" but that's legal here too. I just figured since I was going to be in and out of the car alot I would simply inform him. So when the other driver went back to his car, I showed the officer my license and carry permit and stated, I have this (permit), and all that goes with it in the car's center console. Not even looking up from what he was doing, he replied okay and walked away. So I guess he didn't care in the least. It's a personal choice and depending on the circumstances I may choose differently the next time.

Why, after all we have gone thru to have CCW’s (I know, it is our right, I fully understand this) do we balk at the idea of telling a Police Officer, we have a CCW? It is not going to infringe on my day to politely inform the arriving officer I am armed and not dangerous to his or her safety. In such states that have the constitutionally correct law of concealed carry without a permit, if you are not a prohibited possessor of a firearm, why not inform and then discuss relevant issues with him/her/they, such as why you were stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by NotTwoShure View Post
    Why, after all we have gone thru to have CCW’s (I know, it is our right, I fully understand this) do we balk at the idea of telling a Police Officer, we have a CCW? It is not going to infringe on my day to politely inform the arriving officer I am armed and not dangerous to his or her safety. In such states that have the constitutionally correct law of concealed carry without a permit, if you are not a prohibited possessor of a firearm, why not inform and then discuss relevant issues with him/her/they, such as why you were stopped?
    I have no desire to extend the length of the traffic stop to discuss my firearm. It is completely irrelevant. I don't understand why people to whom concealment is so important to them desire to disclose it at the drop of a hat to a complete stranger only because that stranger is wearing a uniform and badge.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

NavyLCDR, you are my forum hero!
    “Self defense is a primary law of nature, which no subsequent law of society can abolish; the immediate gift of the Creator, obliges everyone … to resist the first approaches of tyranny.” -- Elbridge Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by defender829 View Post
    NavyLCDR, you are my forum hero!

Doggone it Navy, now my sides hurt and I woke half the house up with my laughter.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast