LEO Couldn't Open D/A Revolver Cylinder - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LEO Couldn't Open D/A Revolver Cylinder

What is a cylinder?? What is a revovler??? Asking those sort of questions on here is like asking how to use a telephone. In my book, very very basic knowledge. I could see someone having issues with take down for cleaning. Seems like every handgun has a pin, lever, or slide arrow to get the thing broken down. There is a bit more variety and difference in takedown. But, basic clearing of a weapon. HMMM thats a shocker.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

[QUOTE=The Gunny;21069]Reminds me of the old Mayberry RFD and Barney Fife. Remember how the Sherriff, Andy, would only let Barney keep his gun unloaded? I think he let him carry a bullet in his pocket, too funny! QUOTE]

I guess Sheriff Andy was being "extra cautious" by allowing "Barney" to carry only a "bullet" in his pocket. If he had a loaded cartridge, he could be considered dangerous. :icon_cheesygrin:

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by DrDavidM View Post
    As we know only the police officers should be allowed to carry guns. This is due to their extensive training. Anyone on here not know how to open the cylinder on a revolver? that's what I thought.
    ROFL: Yes, lots of cops are getting hired for different reasons. One is not that they know or have ever handled a firearm. Some never have, so they only one they know about is the one issued by their department. It's going to be a Glock, Sig, H&K or such...not a wheel gun. So very possible they won't know about cylinder release, but OMG....:msn-scept: it is so sad. THOSE are the ones that i'm afraid will have an AD with my firearm if on a traffic stop they try to empty my loaded firearm.
    Rule #1 of CCW: Don't get made.

Doo Dad's

If it is a Colt you pull the little Doo Dad on the left side. If it is a Smith and Wesson you push the little Doo Dad. If something other, do what is appropriate with the little Doo Dad, if it has a Doo Dad it will either push or pull. If it don't have a Doo Dad it could be a top break or a solid frame Single Action. A few seconds of observation will usually be enough to easily determine which. Just stay away from the bang switch on all of them until you have checked thoroughly to make sure it isn't loaded.

Brings to mind another question. How many know which way their revolvers cylinder rotates? Clock wise or counter clockwise and does it matter if you know?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

you bet it matters exspecialy if your loading your last bullet and your life depends on it.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" (George Washington)

Quote Originally Posted by oidsailor View Post
    you bet it matters exspecialy if your loading your last bullet and your life depends on it.

Exactly. Lot of shooters never think of that.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Some revolvers require you to pull out a pin and the whole cylinder pops out. The hammer would have to be at half cock first though.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

By the way, HK4U, I remember a report of a similar occurrence to the one you mention about the guy
    whose gun had corroded so bad it was stuck in his holster. I first started working part time in the security
    industry in 1972. This was when the revolver was still king.

I was told the story about a guy who carried his extra 38 special ammo in belt loops on his gun belt. On the
    day he retired, he tried to take the ammo out of the belt, but couldn't because it was covered with green
    corrosion and stuck solidly in the belt. It was agreed that he was lucky he never had to try to reload while
    on duty. It was also stressed that a person should rotate ammo in and out of the belt from time to time to
    keep it from getting stuck in the belt.

This was before the invention of speed loaders or speed strips. We had to reload one cartridge at a time.

The El Paso police department at the time mandated all their officers must carry 38 special revolvers.
    The .357 was too powerful! So, most officers carried Smith model 27's or 28's with .357's loaded and a belt
    full of .38's which were visible for inspection. I remember that worked OK until someone actually had to
    discharge their weapon and the truth came out in the investigation.

Ah, the memories!
    The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Yes OM44 those were the days. I could tell some tales of my days with the Sheriff Dept.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast