Texas State Police
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas State Police

Texas State Police

I had to do the Houston, Baytown, Lake Charles loop last week. I thought that I would drive from New Mexico this time and not have to rent a car, see some country. Everything went well until I was almost back home. I was east of Lubbock Texas in Scurry county when I looked in the rear view and saw the lights, looked at the speedometer and was at 80.

TSP: Sir, I clocked you at 84 in a 70. Is there an emergency?
    Me: No, I was running my mouth and not paying attention.( I handed him my DL and CCP)

TSP: Do you have a firearm with you?
    Me: Yes, in the center console under that yellow towel.

TSP: I will need to see proof of insurance, I will be right back.

As he walked to the rear of my truck I told Cindy to get in the glove box and get the insurance card out. NO INSURANCE CARD IN THE GLOVE BOX!!!!!!

When the officer walked back to my window I was kind of laughing.

TSP: Did you find the proof of insurance?
    Me: No sir, the only place that it could be is under the 45 and I did not want to be wallowing around in there when you came back to the window.

TSP: (laughing) Well...I appreciate that. I am going to mark this down at 78, Anything under 10 mph over it is up to the officers discretion and I am only going to issue a warning. Slow down, the next officer might not be in as good a mood as I am.

I was stopped a total of about 10 minutes and never did show a proof of insurance.
    This is the second time this year that I have been stopped by the Texas State Police. Both times they have been very professional and no hassles about the CCW

I am glad you had a good experience. As you may know it is the Dept. of Public safety/Highway Patrol that is the issuing agency in Texas for the CHL. I have been through their instructors classes and I can tell you the ones that I have come in contact with that teach the class are very pro gun/2nd amendment from what I have seen.
    Last edited by HK4U; 05-13-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Good encounter. Knowing that you had your CCP you wouldn't so anything to jeopardize losing it and chances you had insurance was very high. If TX is like SC too many citations will get you a denial on renewing your permit.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Good post sounds like the police officer was not only professional, but had a great sense of humor to.
    An armed society is a polite society.

nice to have good pro 2A officers around if you are gonna get pulled over.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

That is KICK ASS!
    I haven't been puuled over in a fw years,but next time I am,I hope the LEO is as cool as that.
    Thanks for sharing that.
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

I'm wondering what would have happened if you had been in Houston and did not have the CPL. I've heard that Houston LEOs are notorious for arresting people legally carrying in their vehicles, state law notwithstanding.

9. From what I know, Texas DPS is what every Law Enforcement Agency should strive to be like, but too few are.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    From what I know, Texas DPS is what every Law Enforcement Agency should strive to be like, but too few are.

Biker
    That is where the Texas Rangers come from so you may be right.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    That is where the Texas Rangers come from so you may be right.
    Yeah. The Texas Rangers were absorbed by the DPS in 1935 and are legally protected from disbandment under Texas state law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast