You have to read this. - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: You have to read this.

1. You have to read this

I have stopped people who had CCW permits and have never been as insensitive as these so-called officers were. the way I figured it, I had no more to fear from their weapon than they had to fear mine. I would propose that if you did the research, you would find more people are shot and/opr killed by police fire, than police are shot and/or killed by CCW holders. I think that a thorough research job would indicate how few permits are revoked because the person violated the regulations in a clear-cut case, and not one that was trumped up by someone who should never be wearing a badge in the first place.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    I have stopped people who had CCW permits and have never been as insensitive as these so-called officers were. the way I figured it, I had no more to fear from their weapon than they had to fear mine. I would propose that if you did the research, you would find more people are shot and/opr killed by police fire, than police are shot and/or killed by CCW holders. I think that a thorough research job would indicate how few permits are revoked because the person violated the regulations in a clear-cut case, and not one that was trumped up by someone who should never be wearing a badge in the first place.
    I understand that you worked as a sheriff's deputy in AZ, an open carry state. How did you deal with open carriers?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I understand that you worked as a sheriff's deputy in AZ, an open carry state. How did you deal with open carriers?
    He didn't. It's another chapter in the book of the amazing "Super wuzfuz". I find it funny that his comments go contrary to every LEO I personally talked to. I have NEVER heard of a LEO talking about how many people are "killed by police fire". All of the LEO I've talked to say stuff like "I have a duty to uphold the law", and "I'm more afraid of a person who doesn't tell me that they have a gun", or "I don't want to be surprised by finding a gun."

I say again as I've said before.... Get the shovel, it's getting kinda thick in here. I'll add to that, let's all don our boots while we're at it. The err in posting is another indication that maybe "wuzfuz" should actually be "wuzn't fuz", "nvrwuzfuz" or "wanted 2b fuz".

Maybe he'll research the topic better next time.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

5. Agree with what everyone else has said. That forum scared me! Tons of "I don't care how you feel" and "Deal with it".
    Huh? Isn't "caring" what the whole profession is supposed to be about? Anyway, also like others posting here, I had nothing but decent experiences with police officers in my small city in Oregon. I choose to believe that the forum shown is visited by a unique number of sick people who are either not "real" LEO's or simply represent a population that has ideas like that and so gravitate towards a specific forum where that is the tone. I really respect police officers and will continue to unless convinced otherwise. (the one comment in that forum about "what if the CCW carrier is having a 'bad day' and decides to shoot me" really blew my mind. It shows absolute ignorance of the extraordinary low % of legal carriers that EVER get in trouble with their firearms).

6. You have to read this

If I came into contact with someone carrying openly, all I did was tell them to jsut keep their hands away from the weapon, and we would have no problems. maybe someone else may disagree with the way I did my job, that does not constitute them having the right to call me a liar. I do not know when a certain post was posted, but I have laready had one run-in, and I thought things had been taken care of. Just because someone has a stick up their a$$ does not mean that I was not a deputy sheriff. I would never say that you, tatted were not a security officer, even if you said something I disagreed with, and that goes for anyone else in these forums. If it takes doing what that other person feels id the way things should be done, then I would be glad I am out of the job today. I did not always agree with Sheriff Reyes, but he was the boss. I would never accuse him of not being a sheriff. I understand John Bunnel only served as a sheriff for two months, yet he publicly identifies himself as Sherrif John Bunnel. I can only hope the post I speak of was posted prior to my communications with lukem.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Some bad apples

There are obviously some bad apples in the LEO community who don't give a rats ***** about our rights. However, there are many more who do. Take those comments with a grain of salt and move on. It was definitely disheartening to see so many of them comment "deal with it" and "get over it".

Hello. New to the forum but found this thread and felt obligated to reply.
    I've been stopped twice (both for non-moving violations) and informed the officer while handing him my DL and CCW that my weapon was on my hip. I was politely thanked and nothing else said on the matter. If asked to give up my weapon for the stop, I would gladly do so. I don't know what may be going on in the area. Perhaps a BG with my description or in a similar vehicle is being sought. Maybe the officer had received a threat recently that he felt he should take seriously.
    I am not a LEO but one of the good guys. Even being one of the good guys, I've had some really $_!ty days that have caused me to put a less than perfect attitude into an encounter making that encounter less positively polarized than it should have been. Maybe he/she is one of the very few Barneys out there, in which case I definitely want to make them feel as safe as possible!
    That being said, what ever the cause for a LEO wanting to keep my weapon with them during the time of our encounter, I want them to be able to do so in a safe way and will ask them how they would like to proceed. There in no reason to be defensive or antagonistic in a traffic stop. If you have done something wrong or not, the officer does not want to hear how righteous you may be or how it is somebody elses fault and certainly not how they don't know their job or the law. It is not their job judge you, only to act on what they have seen and may have interpreted as an infraction of the law. Unless it was a more serious event, a polite and congenial encounter with a citizen could be the highlight of their day and may just leave you with a warning.
    The United States Constitution (c)1791. All Rights Reserved.

I live in Texas, so things might be a little different here, but almost every time I've been pulled over and displayed my DL/CHL the discussion turns to "really, what do you carry". These experiences may be unique, but I've never had one turn bad, I just hope that continues with the coronation of His Holy Highness Usurper Obama.

If you followed that thread, you saw there was a lot of disagreement out there on the subject. Officers being defensive of others who may have been having a major testoserone day, or a fight with the wife before going to work, or just feeling the need to make the point they feel 'at risk' and tend to pull together to give a unified 'front' when they are criticized as a group. By way of analogy, "When you are up to your ass in alligators, it is hard to remember your inital objective was to drain the swamp."

That said, I was offered a job in a PD in Colorado just a few days after 3 officers had been killed in the state, as I recall it now (35) years later. One highway stop saw the officer shot through the driver's door as he walked up beside the vehicle. A domestic dispute saw a couple of sherrif's deputies show up to check it out and calm things down if need be. As they walked up the sidewalk of the home to the front door, a shotgun blast killed the first and the next shot killed his partner. (I don't recall if the shooter opened the door first or not.) Great encouragement to take the job...

Anyway, I decided to go to graduate school instead, although the chief had told me I'd make detective within the year. Of course. Since then I've been where machine guns were trained on me, camps and vehicles were guarded by police or military, and a team member was murdered. I lived with multiple coups, two military mutinies and an airplace highjacking (I was not in it) that lead some military guys to start a battle, trying to steal the ransom money, and was several times pulled out of places when things went 'belly-up". ...So much for planning on a safer career.

The message? There is only the illusion of safety and order in the world. People you expect to protect you may not and may even hassle you or worse. People you would never have cause to think would lift a finger to help? They may just keep you alive when you didn't even know how close to dead you were. Personally, I am a tad nudgy, and macho horseshit does not help that any. That said, if I saw a single officer under fire, be it in an exposed situation, out-gunned, or with an officer down already, my reaction is not likely to be 'passive'. I might wish for my favorite fully-armoured Suburban, but if it is clear he is on a greased slide into deep doo (even if I were no longer on a 'Fed' payroll), I'm not going to leave them to take their chances. Bad me, sorry.

We all have, I believe, an obligation as citizens to support the law and those who enforce it, even if they are not always 'right' or handling something with what might be the most useful approach.

OK, sorry if I ran on a little...guess I'll shut up. (Never too old to learn something new!)

It surprised me that at least one of the LEO's responding was from Texas. I have travelled in many states and have been through routine stops in three (Georgia, Florida and Texas). I presented my I.D. and GFL, the officers were polite and never asked me to exit my vehicle. The closest I came to a problem was in Florida with, what I believed to be, a rookie. It was a routine DUI check point and when the officer saw my GFL he became somewhat nervous and called his supervisor over. The supervisor looked at my I.D. and GFL wished me a good trip and I was on my way. I have talked with many, many LEO's and the majority are not what you see on the subject forum.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast