You have to read this. - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: You have to read this.

Here is my take on the matter. Do criminals take the time and spend the money to get CCW's? No. Can a traffic stop go bad at any time? Yes. I can't see myself throwing you on your hood just because you have a CCW. However, I also wouldn't let you hold your weapon while I had you stopped. I would ask you where your weapon was, have you step out, I will remove it, then hand it back to you unloaded when we had concluded our business. By the nature of my profession, I don't like being around other people that are armed unless they are LE.
    I copied the above response from the original forum. I'm a former LEO, left due to a non-job related injury, but still "have the fire" for the job. If I had been able to reply to this poster, I'd have respectfully suggested he find another line of work, especially after reading his last line. The people who go to the time and effort to get a permit (and maintain the "clean" lifestyle that allows them the privelege) are not the threat. Maybe these LEO's should read the "ten things you should know about CCW holders posted elsewhere in the forums. I had no problem being around legally armed citizens, and still don't. Some cops, however.......
    Gary

Gary T, Welcome to USA Carry! And thank you for your sensable attitude toward non-LEO armed citizens. I'd like you to check out this thread and comment here as well... http://www.usacarry.com/forums/conce...ficer-not.html I gotta warn you though, it's over 80 posts long.

Tim
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

You have to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
    I copied the above response from the original forum. I'm a former LEO, left due to a non-job related injury, but still "have the fire" for the job. If I had been able to reply to this poster, I'd have respectfully suggested he find another line of work, especially after reading his last line. The people who go to the time and effort to get a permit (and maintain the "clean" lifestyle that allows them the privelege) are not the threat. Maybe these LEO's should read the "ten things you should know about CCW holders posted elsewhere in the forums. I had no problem being around legally armed citizens, and still don't. Some cops, however.......
    Hi Gary I agree with you on almost every thing you have said with the exception of the last word in the sentence in parenthesis Privilege as long as I am a Law Abiding Citizen it is not a privilege for me to be able to carry a Firearm it is my 2Amendment right to keep and bear Arms under the Constitution of the United States of America!!!

It certainly makes the case for not informing the PO if it isn't state law to do so. The bunch replying were the most ignorant, arrogant, bunch of cops I have ever seen. I've known a number of cops and none have had the attitude that this bunch has.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Abuse of power is easy behind the keyboard. I bet you half of them don't throw you on the hood because you have a weapon, legally. In-car cameras help that. Also, like stated earlier, they represent a small portion of LEOs, probably the younger rookies with less experience and tripping on power. I'm not gonna freak out... but throw in my grain of salt.

In SC, we have to inform. My work around... don't speed, use my signals, come to complete stops, and drive defensively. That usually keeps the blue light special at Kmart instead of my rear-view.
    SC CWP
    NH non-res CWP
    NRA Member

I think someone else pointed this out, but just because someone posts on a LEO only site, doesn't necessarily mean they're a LEO ... probably a bunch of punks stirring the pot, so to speak. Not that there aren't some LEO's out there running around with an attitude...but to see so many of them concentrated in one place? Seems a bit unlikely.
    When it comes to handguns, there are Sig Sauers, then there's everything else.

8. I've posted about this before on this forum. I have had three traffic stops since I got my CCW here in NY. There is no requirement to notify in NY but each time I handed my CCW to the Officer with my DL. I am always respectful and honest and I have always been treated with respect in return.

Quote Originally Posted by tag1737 View Post
    I've posted about this before on this forum. I have had three traffic stops since I got my CCW here in NY. There is no requirement to notify in NY but each time I handed my CCW to the Officer with my DL. I am always respectful and honest and I have always been treated with respect in return.
    I wish I could say the same. My son and I were returning from shooting at a legal spot which the BLM directs shooters to and I was stopped. He saw us turn onto the highway from this area and pulled me over. I gave the officer my CHL along with my DL. The 'officer' started to make remarks several times that began variously: "You people who shoot out here..." "When you shooters..." and so on. He caught himself each time and didn't finish his remark, but it was clear that I was getting a ticket solely because he didn't approve of citizens with guns.

I'm fighting the ticket. What he wrote it for has nothing to do with what I did---anybody want to bet that the judge isn't going to care about the facts???
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

There were posts (Ninja or not) about there is not difference, you are a person with a gun..
    There is SOME truth to this.. I expect an officer to be more cautious once notified, but I also expect some professionalism.. The thing missing from these stories often is the attitude of the person being stopped.. That can change the action of the LEO quickly..
    IF I notify, I have no issue with the LEO removing my gun, un-loading it and giving it back unloaded at the end of the stop.. I just ask that he do it professionally and with some courtesy..
    WHY COURTESY?? - I am NOT just another person with a gun.. I have a Conceal permit, this means that I am NOT a felon and have been checked out as clean.. Therefore, don't treat me like a felon!!!
    IMHO

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

As a retired Police Officer, I can say that there are some young Jackasses out there. Most Real Cops could care less about a CCW Permit Carrier. They look at it like this: If the guy (or Girl) goes through the background check, the fingerprinting, the testing and training and jumping through the hoops, he's not the guy you have to worry about.
    But I have heard and read where some of the younger cops out there are taking people down, cuffing and disarming them when they inform them that they are a permitee and have a gun. Personally, even though I'm a retiree and a permitee, I usually try to disarm and leave the gun in the vehicle if I were to get pulled over. If something happens that you can't, then I guess we have to hope for the best. Most of the folks I stopped or have seen stopped and were permit carriers, were told, OK, thanks for letting me know. But I have never seen or heard of one in my area being disarmed or taken down and frisked. Heck, I've even heard of CCW guys assisting cops during a scuffle. One CCW permit holder here actually had to shoot the bad guy and kill him as the bad guy brutally attacked the Officer and struggled for his gun.

Also understand, there are some ******** out there with permits too. They tend to play this game about my rights, my rights and refuse to cooperate, even when the cop is polite. It's like they have been listening to 24 hours of the Alex Jones Show and are out to prove a point, that the cops can't do this or that and he's the enemy, no matter what. If you get pulled over, try smiling and yes sir, no sir. Anyone would want to be treated with respect. I realize there are some who act like little tyrants, but beleive me, if you file a complaint, those complaints don't go unnoticed after they get a couple of them on the same cop. Action will get taken.

The guys on that forum though are ******** and probably are over doing it since they are behind a computer. It would probably be different on the street. At least that's my guess.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast