Bad time at the Arch in St. Louis Non ccw
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad time at the Arch in St. Louis Non ccw

Thumbs down Bad time at the Arch in St. Louis Non ccw

I apologize for the length.

So last weekend for the holiday my Mom, Dad, the Wife and I road to St. Louis for the Holiday. Nice ride on the motorcycles except for Illinois. We tried to get up in the arch on the fourth and got hassled by the park rangers.

We stayed at the Hilton in Frontnac (for those familiar with the area) and took the metro to the arch. The metro is off limits for ccw so and so is the arch (until the law gets passed for ccw in National Parks). I left my Glock 23 Locked in my travel safe in the Hotel. I still had the rest of my normal carry, which includes a Gerber multi-tool, flashlight, Smith & Wesson Swat knife, and a Kershaw Scallion. The Line to get in was moving fast I noticed the Sign for illegal weapons on federal property which to my knowledge I wasn't in possession of. The Rangers were there telling people what to remove and put into the baskets. (Belts, watches, the contense of pockets.

My bin was on it's way through the scanner before I noticed the sign. It was an 8 X 11 piece of paper that stated no illegal knives. Such as Switch blades, butterfly knives, knives over 4 inches, and Kershaw knives. There was no law code to refer to like the federal sign 40 ft from the entrance. They proceeded to ask whose bin it was. I told them that It was mine and asked why. They told me that my knife was illegal. I asked if there was someone who could hang on to it till I came out. They said no and it would have to be put in the car. I explained to them that we came on the metro. Then a ranger or police officer came up and asked for my license which I complied. He proceeded to write out a ticket. I asked why and he told me that my Kershaw knife was illegal because it was spring assist, and on any other day I would be allowed to put it in our vehicle, but because it was the 4th of July I would receive a ticket. I tried to get out of it.

I told them that I didn't even see the sign until it was too late and they should but it with the Federal law sign. and that it's B.S. and they're not going to get my money. He looked at me. I told him that we're not going in the arch any more. He asked what I was going to do, and I told him that I'm not coming back. I guess that he went to talk to his supervisor standing at the door and asked if I left would I still receive a ticket. At first the Supervisor said no, but I guess the officer explained the situation that I was out of state and didn't know the "local" law. They eventually let me leave without getting a ticket.

I don't understand how a 2 1/4 in knife that is spring assist is more dangerous than a 3 3/4 in knife that can open quicker than the Kershaw.

To describe the kershaw it's a 2 1/4 knife that has a fairly stiff lock to unlock the blade so it doesn't open in your pocket. then you can use your index finger on the lever that opens the blade.

I couldn't get a pic of the sign, but it didn't look legal. could anyone from the area help me know as to why my SWAT knife isn't illegal but my smaller pocket is. and what is the federal regulation backing it up.
    Andrew

Federal Switchblade Act

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    United States Code
    TITLE 15 - COMMERCE AND TRADE
    CHAPTER 29 - MANUFACTURE, TRANSPORTATION, OR DISTRIBUTION OF SWITCHBLADE KNIVES

Section 1241. Definitions

As used in this chapter -
    (a) The term ''interstate commerce'' means commerce between any State, Territory, possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside thereof.
    (b) The term ''switchblade knife'' means any knife having a blade which opens automatically -
    (1) by hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle of the knife, or
    (2) by operation of inertia, gravity, or both.

Section 1242. Introduction, manufacture for introduction, transportation or distribution in interstate commerce; penalty

Whoever knowingly introduces, or manufactures for introduction, into interstate commerce, or transports or distributes in interstate commerce, any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Section 1243. Manufacture, sale, or possession within specific jurisdictions; penalty

Whoever, within any Territory or possession of the United States, within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), manufactures, sells, or possesses any switchblade knife, shall be fined not more than $2,000 or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Section 1244. Exceptions

Sections 1242 and 1243 of this title shall not apply to -
    (1) any common carrier or contract carrier, with respect to any switchblade knife shipped, transported, or delivered for shipment in interstate commerce in the ordinary course of business;
    (2) the manufacture, sale, transportation, distribution, possession, or introduction into interstate commerce, of switchblade knives pursuant to contract with the Armed Forces;
    (3) the Armed Forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his duty; or
    (4) the possession, and transportation upon his person, of any switchblade knife with a blade three inches or less in length by any individual who has only one arm.

Section 1245. Ballistic knives

(a) Prohibition and penalties for possession, manufacture, sale, or importation
    Whoever in or affecting interstate commerce, within any Territory or possession of the United States, within Indian country (as defined in section 1151 of title 18), or within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States (as defined in section 7 of title 18), knowingly possesses, manufactures, sells, or imports a ballistic knife shall be fined as provided in title 18, or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.
    (b) Prohibition and penalties for possession or use during commission of Federal crime of violence
    Whoever possesses or uses a ballistic knife in the commission of a Federal crime of violence shall be fined as provided in title 18, or imprisoned not less than five years and not more than ten years, or both.
    (c) Exceptions
    The exceptions provided in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of section 1244 of this title with respect to switchblade knives shall apply to ballistic knives under subsection (a) of this section.
    (d) ''Ballistic knife'' defined
    As used in this section, the term ''ballistic knife'' means a knife with a detachable blade that is propelled by a spring-operated mechanism.

Hope this helps. I own several Kershaw "assisted opening" knives. Based on the above definitions, my Kershaw knives are perfectly legal. Only place where you should use caution is the U.S. Post Office and other Federal buildings. There are signs that specifically state that blades over 2" in length are illegal.]

gf
    Last edited by Glock Fan; 07-11-2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: fixed html code
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

That sucks and Kershaw is not the only company that makes an assisted open knife. I carry a CRKT My Tighe which is also an assisted open knife. Sorry your 4th of July weekend didn't turn out better.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Sounds like the folks at the Arch are overstepping their authority. Kershaw does not make a "switchblade" knife, and as KimberPB noted, there are other manufacturers that make an assisted opening knife. I'd suggest having a copy of the knife law handy for any future encounters.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

So much for visiting some of our nations land marks. I reckon we will stay home. They apparently don't trust us "Americans"
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

Thanks for the info. show's that even if you think you know the law there can be ones that negate others. We went back the next day. Took the bikes and I locked everything but my multi-tool up. Had no problems. I understand the law about switchblades and think they should include assisted opening in the signs. And definatly put it in a more open area on a much noticable sign.

On a side note does the National Parks ban include national monuments? If the ban is lifted would it include these monuments or are there different rules for them?
    Andrew

I don't think that "assisted opening" knives should be banned. I understand that there is current laws against switchblade knives. We all know how well banning anything works. After all, didn't it work wonderfully with firearms in DC?

All kidding aside, I don't see any good reason why I can have a 3.5" pocket knife, but my 3.5" "assisted opening" knife is prohibited. If they're going to make laws, rules, etc., they should have logical reasoning behind them.

gf

+1 on that Glock Fan

I ment that they shouldn't ban them but if they're going to ban them they should tell the people sooner. Not after it's too late to doo anything.
    Andrew

Kershaw should nail them for discrimination. They're specifically targeting Kershaw"s product.

gf

11. I got both of mine at wallmart. This is bs and I would not have gone back. Dont like pizza hut either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast