Martial Law in Boston Justified? Yay or Nay? - Page 6

View Poll Results: Was Martial Law Justifed In Boston?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes...It was for the good of the people.

    4 3.96%
  • No...It was a violation of the people's rights.

    94 93.07%
  • Undecided...My brain hurts.

    2 1.98%
  • What does 'Martial Law' mean???

    1 0.99%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 165

Thread: Martial Law in Boston Justified? Yay or Nay?

  1. #51
    How easily we forget.

    Martial Law in Boston Justified?  Yay or Nay?-those_who_would_give_up_essential_liberty_mousepad-r7bcb86a87fea4469a849eb78d99435e4_x74vi_8byvr.jpg
    You can have good intentions and not be right.

  2.   
  3. #52
    "There's a reason you separate the Military and the Police. One fights the enemy of the State and the other serves and protects the People. When the Military becomes both, then the enemies of the State tend to become the People." - Admiral William Adama, Battlestar Gallactica

    Martial Law in Boston Justified?  Yay or Nay?-2013-04-watertown-ma-lockdown.jpg
    "There's a reason you separate the Military and the Police. One fights the enemy of the State and the other serves and protects the People. When the Military becomes both, then the enemies of the State tend to become the People."



  4. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    He was a certified LEO. Your facts suck.
    he may have been a certified LEO but he was employed as a security guard, not a sworn officer, thanks for playing and trying to defend your cop pals

  5. Martial law is usually imposed on a temporary basis when the civilian government or civilian authorities fail to function effectively e.g., extensive riots and protests, or when the disobedience of the law becomes widespread.

    So,you imprision the many to capture the one... Or was this an excuse to run a drill disguised as a man hunt?
    When all other methods of protest have been dismantled, the system leaves us with only two options: stand and fight, or kneel and beg for mercy. All you need to know is what YOU would do when faced with that choice.

  6. Did anyone notice the peep in the armored personnel carrier on the turret had the cameraman in his sights of his fully automatic true assault rifle? And his cap on backward?

    Yeah, this operation has some vectors that stink.

    mkuisi8mo did you take that picture?

    If someone had me in their sights to survey engagement, as the guy did, I think the turret shooter would have a very bad day. Someone who points a full-auto assault rifle at me ready to engage for no reason, will be met with equal interest.

    Don't forget, this administration thinks every citizen could be a possible terrorist.

  7. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Olympic Peninsula, WA
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Good poll....hard to quantify an answer that justifies the question. There is a definite difference between martial law and police action for public safety. I don't believe that Boston and surrounding communities declared 'martial law', but there certainly was a preponderance of visuals and police action that can be construed as such.

    Exigent circumstances allow for warrant less searches. This is also called 'Hot Pursuit' or 'Fresh Pursuit'. The allowance for entry is based on the preservation of "the need to circumvent the destruction of evidence, and the need to prevent the loss of life or serious injury".

    The supreme court has ruled on several cases where they upheld a homeowner's 4th Amendment rights, and there are several cases where they sided with law enforcement. In the Boston case, I would think that a slippery slope was imminent with every house entry and LEO was briefed that the only thing they were looking for was the suspect and whatever evidence that might be linked to the suspect - clothing, blood, etc. If any charges were brought against a home owner non related to the 'hot pursuit of the bombing suspect', a sound defense for the property owner would be that their 4A was violated.

    I'm sure there will be some test cases out of this event. It will prove interesting to watch.
    When I was trained regarding the laws & "hot pursuit" we were told that you needed to maintain some kind of constant contact with the party you were pursuing in order. If you lost contact, then it was no longer hot pursuit.

    For example, if we were chasing a bad guy and we saw the bad guy running into a house, then we could follow in "hot pursuit". However, if we lost sight of the bad guy, then we had to follow the laws regarding a normal fugitive from justice.

    This was not hot pursuit.

  8. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    He was a certified LEO. Your facts suck.
    he may have been a certified LEO but he was employed as a security guard, not a sworn officer, thanks for playing and trying to defend your cop pals
    This man was assassinated. Why would you or Charlie even try to bring up this up after he has been killed...violently? What's your point other than trying to be a tool?

    PS. Armed security with arrest powers....cop...police force. Mayyyybe why he was named as a MIT Police Officer? You're an idiot. Your facts continue to suck.

  9. #58
    I see paranoia in many contributors to this thread and LEOs performing a difficult, dangerous task well. No one was hurt other than possibly their feelings that they had to put their hands up.
    Jim Page

    Cogito, ergo armatum sum

  10. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I don't live in the city. (Thank you God!)

    But, I would probably let authorities search my barns & outbuildings. My home would be secure and they would most likely be convinced of that when they approached my door and saw my pit bulls threatening to come through the windows. If that didn't convince them that there wasn't any need to search inside my home, I'd politely tell them go on down the road; unless they had a warrant.


    -
    My Labradors wouldn't be much of a convincer trying to lick their hands, get pets and beating them with their tails, but everything else would be about the same. They wouldn't be welcome in my house without a warrant but they could search my workshop.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  11. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sepra Peratus/Arkansas
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    My Labradors wouldn't be much of a convincer trying to lick their hands, get pets and beating them with their tails, but everything else would be about the same. They wouldn't be welcome in my house without a warrant but they could search my workshop.
    That tail beating isn't much of a deterrent is it?

    Mine is the same way.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast