LEO illegally disarms and arrest Active Duty Master Sargent
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEO illegally disarms and arrest Active Duty Master Sargent

LEO illegally disarms and arrest Active Duty Master Sargent

This occurred about 10 miles North of my office.

Semper Fi,
    DWC

Legalities aside, explain to me why anyone should stroll down the road wearing his boonie hat, a ruck on his back and an AR strapped across his chest....if not to provoke an encounter. And by the way, he just happened to be carrying a camcorder. People like him do NOT help the 2A cause. And more sadly, he traumatized his son just to make his selfish point.

The cop was right, in this world (right or wrong), and thanks to the media....people with guns make other people nervous. It didn't always used to be this way but IT IS this way now. And such confrontational tactics are not helpful to maybe changing those minds back in time.

Agree and disagree.

The boonie hat provides shade from the sun.
    A ruck on his back...maybe what he was carrying didn't fit in his wallet.
    An AR strapped across his chest (more gun than I need to carry on a daily basis) but if the AR is "legal" in his area, and he chooses to carry it, good for him.

"WE" don't know if he intended to be confronted or not, and personally, I don't care one way or the other. When I carry, open or concealed, it's because I choose to carry in that manner. I do NOT intend nor look for a confrontation. I am merely exercising my 2A rights, nothing more, nothing less. Thankfully, I live in an area where I don't need to carry a camcorder whenever I'm carrying my weapon.

If I ever get to the point where a camcorder is needed every time I leave my house because I "know" I'll have a LEO encounter, then maybe it's time to take a step back and reevaluate why the camcorder is needed. Maybe the reason I need a camcorder with me is because I've crossed some unseen boundary of common-sense.

Of all the times I've carried my weapon, open and concealed, LEO has never deemed a "conversation" with me was needed.

With all the crap that has been going on, it's just not smart. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I have a safe full of different guns, but I carry the right gun for the job (Rifle=Hunting, sidearm=protection, ect...)
    NONE of them are EVER carried to make a statement.
    This guy is not helping the 2A cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich M View Post
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
    I wish I had a dime for every time somebody said that to me about concealed carry. I'd buy a water cooled .50 machine gun, all of the accessories and a couple of pallets of ammunition... and have money left over.

7. I wouldn't have taken such a confrontational stance with the police at the time, voice your resistance and unwillingness to be searched calmly, once, the camera is running, if an illegal search is performed then so be it, you can prove it was an illegal search and file a complaint after the fact. Being a **** and constantly badgering the officer is just a good way to piss them off, and yes, pissing off people with the power to make your day a bad one is not a good idea whether it's right or wrong for them to do so. As far as carrying the rifle, do or don't, doesn't matter, but if you've got an AR-15 strapped and dangling on your chest in a one point sling don't be surprised if an officer wants to stop and ask what you're doing, and if they insist on securing the weapon themselves instead of just asking for it. Because if you did happen to be that .18% who commit crimes with said rifle it takes, one quick motion to shoot the officer with that rifle the way it was being carried.

I'm 99% sure if the man had not been so confrontational he would not have been arrested, he'd have been sent on his way in a couple minutes and finished his hike. Yes we have the right not to be searched illegally, but trying to win that case with the one doing the illegal searching is probably not going to turn out good. Save it for court.

One thing is curious though, they said they were placing him under arrest for resisting arrest. Wouldn't they have had to attempt placing him under arrest for something else before he could resist said arrest and be arrested for it?

I would never do this to my child. Walk solo if you need to make a point but don't bring a child into it.
    Everything else is pointless In My Opinion.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFollower View Post
    Legalities aside, explain to me why anyone should stroll down the road wearing his boonie hat, a ruck on his back and an AR strapped across his chest....if not to provoke an encounter. And by the way, he just happened to be carrying a camcorder. People like him do NOT help the 2A cause. And more sadly, he traumatized his son just to make his selfish point.

The cop was right, in this world (right or wrong), and thanks to the media....people with guns make other people nervous. It didn't always used to be this way but IT IS this way now. And such confrontational tactics are not helpful to maybe changing those minds back in time.
    I carry my AR frequently when I go on hikes. That automatically means I'm trying to provoke an encounter? Sometimes it's because of the wildlife in the area, and sometimes it's just because Marines train how we fight. It's extremely counterproductive to train and get used to hiking around without a rifle when every time you're in country you don't take a ***** with your rifle on you. As an E-7 I'm sure he knows that concept well.

As to the camcorder he stated he was out hiking for his sons merit badge. BSA requires you to document the chives for your badge.

I understand that there are lots of people who OC strictly for the purpose of getting their 15 minutes on YouTube, "standing up to" police, and I agree with you that that doesn't help 2A rights at all but I don't believe that this guy is one of them at all. I think he he became confused and angered when the police clearly violated his rights and didn't handle the situation as well as he could have being that he was in front of his son. He should have kept his cool, and you should never pull away from an officer when you have a weapon on you. That will get you shot. But the fact the guns scare people "these days" is absolutely NO REASON to cave to their pressure and stop exercising your rights.

This guy is a hysterical little girl. He could have walked away with his gun and pride intact. The LEO was investigating a call. He wanted him to put the gun while he figured this out and I don't blame him. The LEO doesn't know what situation he's facing so he secures the scene. This mutt actually thought they would let him go after his performance. Had he set the gun down and answered some questions the LEO would have been satisfied. Instead he chose to obstruct the investigation. Lawsuit? Not happening. Keep an eye on this story. I'll bet a shiny new dime this goes nowhere.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

I listened to Tom Greshams GunTalk Radio. They interviewed the guy.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/guntalk/130421guntalkB.mp3

Interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast