Flint Police came to my house today and...... - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 96

Thread: Flint Police came to my house today and......

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I think that you've missed the point, in the man's back yard he can carry a gun as he pleases, as long as he is not threatening anyone he is not breaking any laws. The law breakers were the one's who claimed he was waiving the weapon around, filing a false police report is a crime in most places
    Didn't miss the point at all actually. My statement was it is Flint, a very dangerous city. Where in Flint he lives, only he knows for sure, but since he was okay with the officers response indicates to me closer to the city center.

    Actually he didn't state backyard, but indicated he was with his back towards the road. That implies side or front yard, line of sight of the street.

    No where did I say the officers actions were correct, only that I understand the response due to the city, the cutbacks the PD has gone thru, and the nature of the call.

    As for a false police report, if it was called in from a pay as you go cell, no real way of tracing the call or the caller. Again, limited resources for the PD, means doubtful they will follow up on it.

    Bottom line? Sure I will get slammed for my opinions, but they are what they are. The officers were responding to a call, the OP was well within his rights to carry when and how he was, and it all ended well.
    I would even venture to say he has a good idea, if it was one of his neighbors, which one dislikes him enough to place the call.

  2.   
  3. If it were me, in the future, I would open carry all the time in my yard.

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
    It's Flint, not like a lot of places. That the PD showed up at all is surprising. Not surprised that they took a gun call seriously (once they decided to send someone).
    So you are saying that harassment of citizens by city cops is the normal in Flint?

    In NC, I must have my permit and ID on me if I am concealed, BUT NOT on my own damn property.

    I can also carry open without my permit OR ID anyplace it is legal to carry a firearm. If I have my shorts on, and open carrying my gun, I don't have to 'hide it' to go to the mail box, or walk my dogs down the road.

    Cops get used to citizens rolling over and surrendering their rights, and to play their game only fosters that mindset in the cops. The cop could stand on the sidewalk or in the street and ask you questions. You have NO obligation to even identify yourself to them. What would their 'probably cause' be for thinking you were vandalizing the home by planting flowers or weeding?
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,556
    Just some perspective about why they even bothered to answer the call and questioned the OP right or wrong. I can imagine the pain in the A idiot neighbor's call. "Hello I want to report a man with a gun in his yard" Dispatcher: First he is allowed to have a gun in his yard. How do you know it was a gun? Neighbor: Uhhh ummm well, well oh yah. He was waving it all around like a maniac!
    There you have the genesis of why the PD had to show up.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Southwest Idaho
    Posts
    282
    Sounds like the experiance went well. I live in a less than desirable neighborhood, not terrible, but not great. I do not carry openly on my property, only concealed. Why? I do not want the neighbors knowing I have a gun because of fear that I will come home from work to find my house burglarized by somebody hoping to find my guns.

  7. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    So you are saying that harassment of citizens by city cops is the normal in Flint?

    In NC, I must have my permit and ID on me if I am concealed, BUT NOT on my own damn property.

    I can also carry open without my permit OR ID anyplace it is legal to carry a firearm. If I have my shorts on, and open carrying my gun, I don't have to 'hide it' to go to the mail box, or walk my dogs down the road.

    Cops get used to citizens rolling over and surrendering their rights, and to play their game only fosters that mindset in the cops. The cop could stand on the sidewalk or in the street and ask you questions. You have NO obligation to even identify yourself to them. What would their 'probably cause' be for thinking you were vandalizing the home by planting flowers or weeding?
    Starting to get the impression you and I are going to disagree on everything. Oh well.

    If you don't know Flint, then I can't explain it. Imagine a little Detroit, car makers bailing on the city, city finances going downhill, extreme budget cuts in the PD. Corruption in high places, moral low, lots of crime. PD understaffed, overworked. If they were responding at all to a gun call, they would be cautious.

    Read the statutes MCL 324.1608 Michigan Legislature - Section 324.1608 and MCL 750.81d Michigan Legislature - Section 750.81d . Both of these statutes define as a crime one who resists or obstructs an officer in the performance of his or her duties or enforcement of the law. Regardless of whether asking for ID could be considered performance of duties (which it most certainly is) or enforcing the law OR even if the refusal is not considered resisting/obstructing, would it be worth hiring an attorney to fight it?

    Just my extremely humble opinion.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmarky View Post
    Concealed means concealed. This could have gone way worse. Dress differently and do a bend over test before going outside . The life you save may well be yours.
    You're an idiot. Nobody will shoot him. He was on his own property, in a state where open carry is legal. All that happened was his CC became OC for a few minutes. I OC all the time and never once has a anyone tried to shoot me. At least the cops were on your side. And never apologize for exercising your 2A rights. Your CC came undone, but OC is legal. To apologize will be taken by the left as an admission that you're trying to prove something, which we both know you are not.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Danmc View Post
    Sounds like the experiance went well. I live in a less than desirable neighborhood, not terrible, but not great. I do not carry openly on my property, only concealed. Why? I do not want the neighbors knowing I have a gun because of fear that I will come home from work to find my house burglarized by somebody hoping to find my guns.
    Or leave your driveway littered with casings so it sparkles even at night! Personally, I leave shot up old appliances put at the edge of my "shootin lane" and it scares people lmao

  10. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
    Starting to get the impression you and I are going to disagree on everything. Oh well.

    If you don't know Flint, then I can't explain it. Imagine a little Detroit, car makers bailing on the city, city finances going downhill, extreme budget cuts in the PD. Corruption in high places, moral low, lots of crime. PD understaffed, overworked. If they were responding at all to a gun call, they would be cautious.

    Read the statutes MCL 324.1608 Michigan Legislature - Section 324.1608 and MCL 750.81d Michigan Legislature - Section 750.81d . Both of these statutes define as a crime one who resists or obstructs an officer in the performance of his or her duties or enforcement of the law. Regardless of whether asking for ID could be considered performance of duties (which it most certainly is) or enforcing the law OR even if the refusal is not considered resisting/obstructing, would it be worth hiring an attorney to fight it?

    Just my extremely humble opinion.
    Does MI mandate that it is a crime to NOT have identification on you?
    Does MI CCW permit require that you have it on you, when on YOUR property?
    Are private property right non-existent in MI?
    If you are on your own damn property, and not breaking a law, politely ask the cops to leave and tell them to have a nice day, and maybe go arrest someone that is actually breaking a law.

    The fact that the crime rate sucks there, an understaffed police force has time to harass honest citizens pretty much demonstrates the problem in Flint.

    I play by the rules when out in public, and I do carry my ID and CHP if I am carrying concealed. In fact my deep concealment rig even has a pocket to carry my ID and CHP. If I walk the dogs in my neighborhood, and open carrying (more for bears and rabid foxes or racoons than bg's), I don't bother with ID or permit. And in MY yard, I carry how I want, and don't worry about having ID or permit.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  11. #30
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,837

    Flint Police came to my house today and......

    Boy! I cannot stress enough how glad I am that I live in Vermont and I don't have to deal with all this BS!
    I don't know how you guys put up with it all!


    Sent from behind enemy lines.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast