Flint Police came to my house today and...... - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 96

Thread: Flint Police came to my house today and......

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The Lowcountry of South Carolina
    Posts
    2,039
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    advocating harassment is not wise nor prudent
    Dude, this post has been getting way beyond the OP's intent. He explained in pretty good detail an event that actually happened and turned out well for all involved. He abided by the applicable laws in his state, dealt with a LEO encounter and even posted it in an appropriate forum!
    *
    Read it, learn from it, ignore it, whatever. If you can't understand an attempt at humor (based on someone else posting that he should decorate HIS driveway with spent cartridges) then you need to lighten up.

  2.   
  3. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe Area, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Well, today I can say I guess I had my first REAL LEO encounter. Was a bit odd considering the circumstances, just bought the Crossbreed supertuck and decided I was going to officially break it in today and wear it around the yard (concealed of course) and plant some flowers, throw down some mulch and tie up some other odds and ends being weve had a nice stretch of decent weather.
    I just happened to be crouch down leveling some of the mulch out (facing away from my road) and heard someone say "Hey, are you carrying a gun" I happen to look behind me and there was a plain clothed Officer with a badge hanging around his neck with a gun in his hand, I looked to my left and seen a Uniformed Officer with his gun out walking to me as well. I stood up, put my hands away from my body and stated as clear as I could make it "yes sir, my weapon is in a holster on my right hip, wallet is in my back right pocket," he holstered his gun and stated they got flagged down at the corner saying [I] was walking around with a gun and had waved it around a few times. Officer said he didnt buy it being he drove around the block, spotted me, seen my gun partially exposed [handle was apparently sticking out a little] and when they pulled up I was doing yard work.

    Officers were very professional, and rather nice considering the weapons call. Officer requested I get my wallet, but before then, he placed his index finger and wallet on the handle of my weapon and pressed downward just a little bit, I got my wallet, and he left go of my weapon, I gave them my CPL and Drivers License, they asked if my weapon was registered to me, I jokingly asked them if they wanted to "run it" he laughed a bit and said no, they didnt run my name or my CPL, just kindly gave my documents back and told me to have a nice day. I apologized for the exposure and explained I had just gotten the new holster and obviously needed to lower the placement of the clips. The uniformed Officer left a few minutes later, the plain clothed officer and I talked about guns for a few minutes before he received a call.

    Over all, good encounter, kinda upset the wife a little bit being we were doing nothing but yard work and someone obviously made a false complaint, I understand the weapon was slightly exposed, and if I am doing yard work, I dont see how it could alarm some people, but never the less, I killed them with kindness, and to put it in face of the complainant I came inside and put my weapon in an OWB holster and continued my yard work, no further LEO encounters for the day though.

    Your thoughts?
    I CC/ OC in NC cause I can. Shirt blown open to reveal my CC, don't really give a hoot cause it's a OC State as well. Kudo's to FPD for the limited reaction. Kudo's to you for your conviction to carry even while doing yard work. If this harassment continues I would retain legal counsel for a possible civil suit against the caller. Just my 2 cents.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

  4. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    In Texas the Law should know it is perfectly legal for you to carry any way you want on property under your control, unless I was shooting at the neighbor or dangerously then the officer would have no right to enter my property he/she should know the law, they would be ask to leave or have a glass of tea.

  5. #64
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    ^^^^ a good encounter, for a police state maybe.
    Define a "Police State" and give me an example of a similar encounter where a CPL holder does NOT cooperate, especially after the LEOs have already seen the weapon in your waistband, and again, without a CPL in most states, you have already committed a crime, ie Felony CCW, in or out of your own yard, depending on how the language of the law in your state is.
    I had a good encounter, and I am glad PD showed up, Im sure if I complained about an "active shooter", or a criminal with a weapon, Id appreciate them showing up and checking it out as I am sure you would too.
    Im not saying my neighbor was right to call PD when Im doing yard work, with or without a weapon, shouldnt matter to them, and the way they went about things obviously not the right way, but oh well, no harm no foul, I obviously won, nothing was done by PD, my rights were not violated, and I walked away without a damn thing happening, and I went about my business and changed from CC to OC. No big deal. Im sure things woulda went much worse for you if you would have made a scene.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

  6. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaracing View Post
    In my own yard?!!
    It's none of their or anyone else's damn business how I'm carrying or what.
    And he sure would not have touched my gun.
    "He sure would not have touched my gun" Really? What would you have done? There were two other cops, with weapons already drawn, onsite. You think you're gonna dig your gun out from under your shirt, draw and fire before three cops can thoroughly aerate you?

    Kinda sorta one of those keyboard cowboy sort of statements. In the real world, the OP did everything exactly right, especially with his 'kill them with kindness' mindset. The cops quickly and correctly assessed that the OP was fully legal and no threat to anyone. The system worked.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed​ lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

  7. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Define a "Police State" and give me an example of a similar encounter where a CPL holder does NOT cooperate, especially after the LEOs have already seen the weapon in your waistband, and again, without a CPL in most states, you have already committed a crime, ie Felony CCW, in or out of your own yard, depending on how the language of the law in your state is.
    I had a good encounter, and I am glad PD showed up, Im sure if I complained about an "active shooter", or a criminal with a weapon, Id appreciate them showing up and checking it out as I am sure you would too.
    Im not saying my neighbor was right to call PD when Im doing yard work, with or without a weapon, shouldnt matter to them, and the way they went about things obviously not the right way, but oh well, no harm no foul, I obviously won, nothing was done by PD, my rights were not violated, and I walked away without a damn thing happening, and I went about my business and changed from CC to OC. No big deal. Im sure things woulda went much worse for you if you would have made a scene.
    You are 100% correct on everything you said, except for one thing. Something did happen. You got an introduction to three cops and they all came away with the opinion that you're not someone that belongs on their bad guy radar. If you happen to run into any of those three officers on the street somewhere they won't give your weapon a second thought. You made three friends so to speak.

    As far as your encounter went, you did everything right and I salute you. You've joined the ranks of those of us that show the cops that law abiding citizens in possession of a weapon isn't a bad thing. Your encounter will have an impact on their next encounter with a LAC in possession. Thank you.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed​ lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

  8. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmarky View Post
    Concealed means concealed. This could have gone way worse. Dress differently and do a bend over test before going outside . The life you save may well be yours.
    Actually, according to law... concealed doesn't mean concealed. It is allowed to print some.

  9. #68
    ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Well, today I can say I guess I had my first REAL LEO encounter. Was a bit odd considering the circumstances, just bought the Crossbreed supertuck and decided I was going to officially break it in today and wear it around the yard (concealed of course) and plant some flowers, throw down some mulch and tie up some other odds and ends being weve had a nice stretch of decent weather.
    I just happened to be crouch down leveling some of the mulch out (facing away from my road) and heard someone say "Hey, are you carrying a gun" I happen to look behind me and there was a plain clothed Officer with a badge hanging around his neck with a gun in his hand, I looked to my left and seen a Uniformed Officer with his gun out walking to me as well. I stood up, put my hands away from my body and stated as clear as I could make it "yes sir, my weapon is in a holster on my right hip, wallet is in my back right pocket," he holstered his gun and stated they got flagged down at the corner saying [I] was walking around with a gun and had waved it around a few times. Officer said he didnt buy it being he drove around the block, spotted me, seen my gun partially exposed [handle was apparently sticking out a little] and when they pulled up I was doing yard work.

    Officers were very professional, and rather nice considering the weapons call. Officer requested I get my wallet, but before then, he placed his index finger and wallet on the handle of my weapon and pressed downward just a little bit, I got my wallet, and he left go of my weapon, I gave them my CPL and Drivers License, they asked if my weapon was registered to me, I jokingly asked them if they wanted to "run it" he laughed a bit and said no, they didnt run my name or my CPL, just kindly gave my documents back and told me to have a nice day. I apologized for the exposure and explained I had just gotten the new holster and obviously needed to lower the placement of the clips. The uniformed Officer left a few minutes later, the plain clothed officer and I talked about guns for a few minutes before he received a call.

    Over all, good encounter, kinda upset the wife a little bit being we were doing nothing but yard work and someone obviously made a false complaint, I understand the weapon was slightly exposed, and if I am doing yard work, I dont see how it could alarm some people, but never the less, I killed them with kindness, and to put it in face of the complainant I came inside and put my weapon in an OWB holster and continued my yard work, no further LEO encounters for the day though.

    Your thoughts?
    Michigan law specifically exempts accidental exposure of a concealed firearm from a charge of brandishing (brandishing, BTW, is UNDEFINED in Michigan law, something I am working to change; the term is used, but it is left to the prosecutor's office to determine if it really took place, based on a definition that can change from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I am trying to get the following definition accepted: "BRANDISHING" MEANS TO INTENTIONALLY DISPLAY A FIREARM IN AN ANGRY OR THREATENING MANNER, NOT IN NECESSARY SELF-DEFENSE.), and if you are on your own property, you can carry any you want to. On top of that, Michigan is an OC state, no permit required unless you wish to OC in your vehicle or in one of the legally designated gun free zones, in which cases you must have a CPL (yeah, Michigan's CPL law is a bit on the funky side). I hope the police followed up with the complainant to explain these facts to them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

    You handled the situation in a textbook manner. Well done.

  10. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by JrFreak View Post
    Actually, according to law... concealed doesn't mean concealed. It is allowed to print some.
    please be careful with the absolute statements, while in some state printing might not cause problems in some other states printing could get you into troubles with law enforcement.

    YMMV

  11. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sepra Peratus/Arkansas
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    please be careful with the absolute statements, while in some state printing might not cause problems in some other states printing could get you into troubles with law enforcement.

    YMMV
    Unfortunately Texas, in bigger cities, has a problem with even slightly printing according to family and friends still living there. This is not first hand info. If I'm wrong please correct me.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast