Is "Cop Baiting" An Effective Method Of Educating The Public?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is "Cop Baiting" An Effective Method Of Educating The Public?

What is your opinion of this type of activism? Is it an effective method of getting our message out or does it make enemies for us?

My final question is why is the cop so certain that his AR is cooler than the videographers
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

3. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

My final question is why is the cop so certain that his AR is cooler than the videographers
    Pretty cool cop. He wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't curious. On the note of the videographers saying the cop was trying to prey on if they didn't know their rights.. It's not his responsibility it's our responsibility to know our rights. I thought it was pretty cool with the cop's attempt to relate with them and show them his gun. Which, imo, did look cooler. I am not sure about the outcome of more occurrences like this. Lately America has been surprising me with her interests relating with the current political fiasco's. I will say events like these may lead to a desensitizing to its happenings. If that's a good thing or not I'm not sure. Plus taking your rifle out publicly will increase your likely hood of needing to discharge it as the hunter will become the hunted should an overpowering force come to confiscate your tools. Not limited to just local LEO you know.

Cop baiting is a BAD idea!

I don't think it accomplishes anything. It makes you look like a jackass to both sides, and like you're just trying to start trouble. I have no problem with people exercising their rights and open carrying a rifle if they really want to, but when you do it with a film crew for the explicit reason of trying to get a reaction out of police it just causes problems.

These confrontational open carry people are wasting their times in these videos. They argue with police rather than do anything productive.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    What is your opinion of this type of activism? Is it an effective method of getting our message out or does it make enemies for us?

Because he told the kids it is select fire!

Baiting is juvenile and immature; come to think of it, most baiting youtube videos I've seen are made by immature juveniles.

There are a few reprobate hangers-on, however.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the baiting thing either. However, one thing that always bothers me about many, if not most all of these videos is when the cops say; "We have had a complaint about a man with a gun and we have to check it out", then they proceed to violate the carrier's rights. Why can't they just observe the "subject" and then act accordingly. If it's not illegal to open carry (as it shouldn't be) then what's the problem? If the "subject" isn't acting aggressive or irresponsibly, they have no reason to stop the "subject" and ask for I.D. and or a permit.

The way these incidents play out most of the time just seems like the local municipality is just frustrated that open carry is legal from the state level so they are just using MWAG calls as a means to harass one who is exercising their right to carry. Now again, I agree that some of these "subjects" are bringing it on them selves. I guess this would explain why I always feel the same way after watching these videos... that the "subject" asked for it and the cops are just being ********.

I will never understand when the call is initially taken, why the person calling isn't asked if the individual is acting in a threatening way. Also, why the caller is not informed that open carry is legal and there is nothing that can be done unless the "subject" is acting in a threatening manner to them or any one else.

No, I do not think this does pro gun community any good at all. What I see is someone getting harassed that shouldn't be by their own doing. I see some cops getting their rocks off and the anti-gun politicians and sheeple getting a good laugh. If a statement is to be made, it needs to be better organized and with a larger number of participants. Nobody cares about "one" guy standing on the corner wearing the sign that says; "THE END IS NEAR", in fact, most see him as a nuisance.

Am I missing something here?

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Quote Originally Posted by SR40c View Post
    I will never understand when the call is initially taken, why the person calling isn't asked if the individual is acting in a threatening way. Also, why the caller is not informed that open carry is legal and there is nothing that can be done unless the "subject" is acting in a threatening manner to them or any one else.
    I agree with you here, but I also realize that open carrying a rifle is not a "normal" behavior for somebody walking around in the city. It is definitely unusual and there should be an effort made to see why that person is walking around the city with a rifle.

Imagine if somebody called 911 as they saw the Aurora theater shooter walking around the theater parking lot with his AR-15 and the dispatcher said "open carry is legal, we're not sending police". Do you really need to wait until there are shots fired to contact a person doing something outside of the norm?

It may be legal, but it is unusual in today's society and as long as rights are not violated, I have no problem with police checking out the sitatuion and contacting the person. The person probably wants to be contacted in the first place because they know open carrying a rifle in the city is a provocative behavior.

Unfortunately, the youtube video has been removed by the time I clicked it.

However, concerning baiting... every baiting video someone has shown me has had one common thread. That thread is the baiter is a smug, juvenile punk looking for a fight. When someone of this character then posts a video showing the immaturity of the baiter, then the baiter looks like the childish punk that he is. Every so often the baiter does find an unprofessional cop. Now here is food for thought. How many times does the baiter have to do this before he finds an unprofessional cop? How many videos do we NOT see because the cops do act professionally? We may never know, since the baiter is out for one thing, to show that cops are bad.

My synopsis, Baiting is a bad idea.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Well, YouTube has already terminated the video. Cop baiting is BS, and those who do so are full of themselves and of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast