Almost handed my weapons permit when stopped instead of DL to a charitable LEO - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost handed my weapons permit when stopped instead of DL to a charitable LEO

Lines painted on the ground here. And yes stopwatch and a chart to tell your speed. Seen it done in several states. Lines are 90 degrees to the roadway.

Deals Gap gets the sport bike riders constantly on time between distances. Well established routine.

Glad to hear the stop went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Texas is a must show if carrying, so far showing CC ID has gotten me out of all tickets at stop.
    it didn't help me out, the copper must have been an aggie, he didn't like my SMU sticker

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    Today, I drove around for hours. Didn't break any laws. I didn't make the news either.
    Neither did all of the cops who did their job correctly today. Matter in fact, they rarely ever make the news for doing something good.

Jcreek; You are illinformed. They have hash marks on the side of the road at marked intervals, and they use a stop watch to time you between these marks and that gives them your speed. I KNOW!!!!
    I am old and slow, BUT dead on with my aim!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Neither did all of the cops who did their job correctly today. Matter in fact, they rarely ever make the news for doing something good.
    Neither do I. So it sounds like the get treated just like everyone else.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some traffic stops do end well, don't they?
    Being a former pilot, I know how hard it would be to "pace parallel" a car and clock it's speed. You'd first have to have a correct reading of the wind direction and speed, and then calculate your ground speed (versus airspeed) before you could calculate the speed of the auto. Too much for a light aircraft pilot to do, when watching out for other aircraft and cell towers. :)
    Having known distances of points on the ground and using a stopwatch is how it's done.
    Al
    Stop, Drop, and Roll won't work in Hell.
    The truth about the former Republic of the United States of America:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Ioz...ayer_embedded#

Neither do I. So it sounds like the get treated just like everyone else.
    Minus being all over the news and online forums when they screw up.

Also why would a plane not be able to pace cars on the ground mathematically by flying parallel directly above?
    Several reasons;

1) FAA regulations don't allow aircraft to fly low enough to accurately tell if your pacing with them or not. Minimum safe altitudes as defined in FAR Part § 91.119 are 1000ft over the highest obstacle over congested areas (towns) or 500 ft above the highest obstacle in other than congested areas (things like freeways).

2) Most agencies use Cessna 172s or 182s with have stall speeds of 57kn and 65kn respectively in a clean (flaps up) configuration. Flying that close to your stall speed while so low is extremely unsafe. All it takes is a little bit of turbulence or a few seconds of distraction to send you right into the trees or ground.

3) Air speed indicators in aircraft don't measure how fast you are traveling over the ground. The measure your speed relative to the air around you by using a pitot tune of the front of the wing. As you move forward, air is forced into the tube creating ram air pressure which is then compared to static ambient air pressure by the airspeed indicator to give you a reading. Several variables affect its accuracy. The headwind will force more air into the tube increasing your "indicated airspeed." A tailwind will do the opposite. Temperature, altitude and air density also affect its accuracy.

How soon before all interstate speed measurement will be by drones with 100% coverage, 100% of the time?
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    How soon before all interstate speed measurement will be by drones with 100% coverage, 100% of the time?
    Now there's the good question!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast