Almost handed my weapons permit when stopped instead of DL to a charitable LEO
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Almost handed my weapons permit when stopped instead of DL to a charitable LEO

  1. #1
    FNWylde Guest

    Talking Almost handed my weapons permit when stopped instead of DL to a charitable LEO

    Last weekend I was heading up I-35 in Iowa and along with a few other cars was pushing my luck on speed. I was driving my truck pulling an 18' flat trailer. A state trooper came down a ramp and put his lights on after he cleared a couple of cars behind me so I knew he was coming for me and pulled over and way off the roadway- well off the shoulder and most of the way into the grass, then put all my windows down so the trooper could clearly see me as he approached.

    He said they had a plane in the air and asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I knew I was over, but not really watching the speedo as much as just pacing with faster traffic and maintaining reasonable distance with the vehicle in front of me so told him I did not know. He asked for my license, registration and ins. and I pulled out my credit card holder in which I keep my DL, 2 credit cards, 2 weapons permits and my health care card. Usually, my weapons cards are the last 2 but somehow, the cards in front slid out of the holder and as I pulled it and began to slide the top card out I was probably more surprised than the trooper to see my IA permit to carry. He asked if I had a weapon in the vehicle and I said yes, in the door pocket. He said leave it there and I replied that I wouldn't consider doing anything else. I actually had another cased pistol in my field bag and AR15 in a zippered case but didn't say anything about them.

    I fished out my DL, he checked it against my ins & reg, went to his cruiser and came back in two minutes with a warning for 81 in a 70... He didn't make another comment on the weapons permit or ask any other questions, just said he was issuing a warning and asked me to sign the ticket. I told him I would slow it down and thanked him and he headed back to his car without saying anything else. The officer was direct but pleasant and had he written a ticket I would have at least felt like he was a good guy doing his job.

    I felt pretty good about the way that ended.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    Texas is a must show if carrying, so far showing CC ID has gotten me out of all tickets at stop.

  4. #3
    And yet again another encounter in which a police officer finds out a law abiding citizen has a gun and nothing happens. No rights violated, no people pulled out at gun point, nobody harassed, and not even a speeding ticket.

    These encounters happen all the time and never make the news. It's nice to hear people like you share these stories.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by FNWylde View Post
    Last weekend I was heading up I-35 in Iowa and along with a few other cars was pushing my luck on speed. I was driving my truck pulling an 18' flat trailer. A state trooper came down a ramp and put his lights on after he cleared a couple of cars behind me so I knew he was coming for me and pulled over and way off the roadway- well off the shoulder and most of the way into the grass, then put all my windows down so the trooper could clearly see me as he approached.

    He said they had a plane in the air and asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I knew I was over, but not really watching the speedo as much as just pacing with faster traffic and maintaining reasonable distance with the vehicle in front of me so told him I did not know. He asked for my license, registration and ins. and I pulled out my credit card holder in which I keep my DL, 2 credit cards, 2 weapons permits and my health care card. Usually, my weapons cards are the last 2 but somehow, the cards in front slid out of the holder and as I pulled it and began to slide the top card out I was probably more surprised than the trooper to see my IA permit to carry. He asked if I had a weapon in the vehicle and I said yes, in the door pocket. He said leave it there and I replied that I wouldn't consider doing anything else. I actually had another cased pistol in my field bag and AR15 in a zippered case but didn't say anything about them.

    I fished out my DL, he checked it against my ins & reg, went to his cruiser and came back in two minutes with a warning for 81 in a 70... He didn't make another comment on the weapons permit or ask any other questions, just said he was issuing a warning and asked me to sign the ticket. I told him I would slow it down and thanked him and he headed back to his car without saying anything else. The officer was direct but pleasant and had he written a ticket I would have at least felt like he was a good guy doing his job.

    I felt pretty good about the way that ended.
    I'm curious as to how they came up with the numbers 81 in a 70. Aircraft can observe you traveling faster than other vehicles but they have no way of actually reading how fast you're going. Did they just relay the ground unit to your location and he got you on radar?

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Texas is a must show if carrying, so far showing CC ID has gotten me out of all tickets at stop.
    WA is not a must inform state. I don't inform and that has gotten me out of all my tickets too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    And yet again another encounter in which a police officer finds out a law abiding citizen has a gun and nothing happens. No rights violated, no people pulled out at gun point, nobody harassed, and not even a speeding ticket.

    These encounters happen all the time and never make the news. It's nice to hear people like you share these stories.
    Today, I drove around for hours. Didn't break any laws. I didn't make the news either.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I'm curious as to how they came up with the numbers 81 in a 70. Aircraft can observe you traveling faster than other vehicles but they have no way of actually reading how fast you're going. Did they just relay the ground unit to your location and he got you on radar?
    There are marks on the pavement that are a known distance apart. The observer in the aircraft starts a stopwatch when the vehicle crosses the first mark and stops it when they cross the second mark. Distance divided by time = speed.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  8. #7
    I have been stopped multiple times where the officer never mentioned my gun or my CPL and let me off with a warning. Biggest one was for something like 42 in a 25. It's just not that such of an uncommon occurrence. I treat the officers with respect, show concern for their safety, I am polite, and I am usually prepared with all my paperwork immediately available when they come to my window rolled all the way down with my driver's license in my hand. Neither my gun nor my CPL has ever caused a ruckus during a traffic stop. They don't ask, I don't tell, everybody's good.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I'm curious as to how they came up with the numbers 81 in a 70. Aircraft can observe you traveling faster than other vehicles but they have no way of actually reading how fast you're going. Did they just relay the ground unit to your location and he got you on radar?
    There are marks on the pavement that are a known distance apart. The observer in the aircraft starts a stopwatch when the vehicle crosses the first mark and stops it when they cross the second mark. Distance divided by time = speed.
    I was thinking about that but the only marks I know of are the white center lines and a vehicle traveling at 81 MPH crosses those marks way too fast for somebody at 2000-3000 feet to count reliably.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I was thinking about that but the only marks I know of are the white center lines and a vehicle traveling at 81 MPH crosses those marks way too fast for somebody at 2000-3000 feet to count reliably.
    Actually, my statement was too limited to include only marks on the pavement. Have you ever seen the signs next to the highway that are nothing more than a bright triangle or other shape at the top of the pole that is angled toward the sky? Also, they could use any two stationary landmarks, such as overpasses, that they have measured the distance between. In our traffic safety standown this is how the Washington State Patrol explained it to us, and he even told us of the locations of some of the more "fruitful" places monitored by aircraft in our local area.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I was thinking about that but the only marks I know of are the white center lines and a vehicle traveling at 81 MPH crosses those marks way too fast for somebody at 2000-3000 feet to count reliably.
    I would think they would have landmarks spaced out a mile or so apart. A particular tree, bridge, house, sign etc etc.

    Also why would a plane not be able to pace cars on the ground mathematically by flying parallel directly above?
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast