The NEW LEO Encounters... - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEW LEO Encounters...

Blues, that is a very revealing story. Your ex-friend let the "power of his position" go to his head. If you were to ask a LEO why they became a cop in the first place, I think most of them would say it was to help people. A percentage would (if they were truly honest) say it was the power they wanted. I have seen good, caring officers become total sphincters after being a cop for a few years. I would not associate with them after that and I almost came to blows with one because I disapproved of his attitude and handling of a situation. Sadly, the profession tends to attract the "cowboy" mentality and the power hungry individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    Blues, that is a very revealing story. Your ex-friend let the "power of his position" go to his head. If you were to ask a LEO why they became a cop in the first place, I think most of them would say it was to help people. A percentage would (if they were truly honest) say it was the power they wanted. I have seen good, caring officers become total sphincters after being a cop for a few years. I would not associate with them after that and I almost came to blows with one because I disapproved of his attitude and handling of a situation. Sadly, the profession tends to attract the "cowboy" mentality and the power hungry individual.
    Thank you for being honest! That isn't sarcasm... that is an honest and sincere thanks.

So tell me... if the profession attracts the "cowboy" and the "power hungry" why would anyone be surprised to see complaints instead of compliments?

Again... we are back to the job itself, because of the power granted by the authority given to the officers, demanding a higher standard from those in LE.

But let me ask... when you... and I quote your post above:
    "almost came to blows with one because I disapproved of his attitude and handling of a situation." unquote

Did you pursue further action with your superiors to rectify that officer's attitude and how he handled the situation in order to prevent yet another occurrence of the same kind of thing in the future? Or did you just let it go after a bit of a pissing contest between the two of you?

The reason I ask is quite simple... the problem isn't that members of the general public complain about how cops do things... the problem is that cops don't police themselves and weed out the "cowboys" and the "power hungry" amongst themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    And we are right back to that higher standard of accountability for those who have the awesome power of authority... because...

When a cop is wrong about a law the least that happens is the general public hears misinformation... but the worst that can happen is an individual member of that general public gets wrongly arrested and, at the very least, incurs legal bills but the end result might be the loss of a job and/or a loss of reputation.....and while that individual can sue for wrongful arrest it isn't the cop who suffers the legal bills, the job loss, and the loss of reputation. And even if that lawsuit restores the amount of money spent (unlikely) it will not bring back the reputation or the job that was lost.

And it is a cop who doesn't know the law or doesn't take the time to find out about the law that has the power to cause an individual to suffer all those things I mentioned above.
    Or, in some cases of late... loss of life, loss of limb, loss of family member, loss of pet... etc. What really bugs me are these egregious errors when raids go to the wrong address, or a cop "accidentially discharges his weapon" and an innocent dies. Where the police are told that the husband has the intruder covered and the homeowner is then shot. Where a SWAT team is called out to bust some kids at a local college for a dime bag of pot and as the suspect is raising his hands on police order is shot by an over zealous deputy and when the folks are outraged the department tells us what a great officer he is. Tip of the iceberg as we all know...

As many others have inferred on this topic, there is level of expectation by the public that the police have a relatively high level of competence, know the general laws, adhere to the Constitution, extend all rights to the individual, and have proficient management. We are rapidly losing this level of confidence in police departments. Blues story above highlights where all of this is going wrong.
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

Let me preface that my opinion of LEOs is not from interaction with then as part and parcel of their job description.
    ~
    In the early 70's just after leaving the military, I applied with the Ohio State Patrol for a trooper position. Finding out after all the applications, interviews and test that I am too nice of a guy for them to consider for employment. Don't really know what they meant when they relayed that information to me as they would not comment further when asked.
    ~
    Years later I applied for a Kitchen Managers position with the local county jail when they were building their new facility and would be fixing meals on site instead of ordering in from local restaurants. Some how my application got mixed up with the correction officer applicants and before I realize what is happening I am in front of a 5 member panel for an interview. During which I am asked "If I were to notice during an intact/receiving of a inmate/arrestee that they were injured or appeared abused, would I report it to the higher authority?" I answered, yes I would report it and let someone else figure out when or how it happened. I was then asked, "If the transporting officer was a friend or relative ( my brother in law was a Sargent at that time) would you still report the incident as you have replied?" I answered, yes.
    I never heard back from the county either way regarding the job and that was 20+ years ago. The panel members container 3 of my brother in laws hunting/drinking buddies. Figured that and the blue line had something to do with it all.
    ~
    Over the years I have been on a first name basis with 3 of the county sheriffs and their first deputies, 3 of the most recent chiefs of police for the cities in my immediate area because of my involvement with the communities and my restaurant operation experience. I don't consider any of them my friends nor do I feel that I could call on them in an emergency and receive any different treatment than anyone else.
    ~
    But because of my experiences I have a basic distrust for LEA and outright distrust for the criminal justice system which I have never been involved in anyway shape or form. That being said everyone has a job to do in life and we all must do them to the best of our abilities. Here is a rule that I have used to be very successful at what I have done in my working for a living as a restaurant manager and applies to every individual in a leadership position.
    ~
    A manager is only as good as his worst employee, period. For the following 2 reasons, you as a manager haven't made sure that the employee received/understood the job requirements/description (how to do their job properly as the team/family/restaurant needs it done). Secondly, realizing that everything has been done to bring an individual up to speed hasn't/won't fix the problem, then fire them. If a leader can't hold up his end of the job no one below him will have the ability to be successful at holding up their end of the job either.
    ~
    Sh!t may slide down hill but it starts at the top.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    Let me preface that my opinion of LEOs is not from interaction with then as part and parcel of their job description.
    ~
    In the early 70's just after leaving the military, I applied with the Ohio State Patrol for a trooper position. Finding out after all the applications, interviews and test that I am too nice of a guy for them to consider for employment. Don't really know what they meant when they relayed that information to me as they would not comment further when asked.
    ~
    Years later I applied for a Kitchen Managers position with the local county jail when they were building their new facility and would be fixing meals on site instead of ordering in from local restaurants. Some how my application got mixed up with the correction officer applicants and before I realize what is happening I am in front of a 5 member panel for an interview. During which I am asked "If I were to notice during an intact/receiving of a inmate/arrestee that they were injured or appeared abused, would I report it to the higher authority?" I answered, yes I would report it and let someone else figure out when or how it happened. I was then asked, "If the transporting officer was a friend or relative ( my brother in law was a Sargent at that time) would you still report the incident as you have replied?" I answered, yes.
    I never heard back from the county either way regarding the job and that was 20+ years ago. The panel members container 3 of my brother in laws hunting/drinking buddies. Figured that and the blue line had something to do with it all.
    ~
    Over the years I have been on a first name basis with 3 of the county sheriffs and their first deputies, 3 of the most recent chiefs of police for the cities in my immediate area because of my involvement with the communities and my restaurant operation experience. I don't consider any of them my friends nor do I feel that I could call on them in an emergency and receive any different treatment than anyone else.
    ~
    But because of my experiences I have a basic distrust for LEA and outright distrust for the criminal justice system which I have never been involved in anyway shape or form. That being said everyone has a job to do in life and we all must do them to the best of our abilities. Here is a rule that I have used to be very successful at what I have done in my working for a living as a restaurant manager and applies to every individual in a leadership position.
    ~
    A manager is only as good as his worst employee, period. For the following 2 reasons, you as a manager haven't made sure that the employee received/understood the job requirements/description (how to do their job properly as the team/family/restaurant needs it done). Secondly, realizing that everything has been done to bring an individual up to speed hasn't/won't fix the problem, then fire them. If a leader can't hold up his end of the job no one below him will have the ability to be successful at holding up their end of the job either.
    ~
    Sh!t may slide down hill but it starts at the top.
    Your conclusions are based on job interviews...and not getting the job? Therefore you assume that you are not considered badass enough to roll with the popo and that what....you're too honest or something? Playing devils advocate here but maybe you really suck at interviews versus some other hidden LEO society looking for an army of mindless, abusive, elitist buttholes. Didnt know if that had crossed your frontal lobe or not...

Sent from my NSA screened Smartphone

With regard to my altercation with the officer I disagreed with. I did not report the incident to my superiors. The reason was that, although I disagreed with his heavy handedness, he was within department guidelines in how he handled the incident. I do happen to know that he was "counseled" by the shift supervisor who was on the scene. My opinion was not asked for and my altercation came about after our shift when I told Jim that I thought he was an a--hole. Legally, he did nothing wrong. Morally, I think he was way off base. He wasn't physically abusive to the subject. This was back in the mid 80's.

Did that make me part of some kind of "code of silence"? No. Of did not. I did then what have done since. I addressed the situation with the person(s) involved.

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    And by that statement, you are agreeing with him. His point is that since any cop "could" be bad, we must mentally prepare for that just like we prepare for anything else that is a possibility (no matter how small).
    -
    That said I do not immediately jump to the conclusion that a cop is bad, just the same as I do not assume that the random stranger intends me harm. I am polite and respectful in both instances, but need to be prepared for any eventuality. It's the basis of situational awareness. If you let your guard down (mentally or physically) because you become complacent with any situation, you invite trouble.
    I'm polite, but not deferential with cops.

I treat them the way I treat any other stranger of unknown intentions.

I am no badge polisher. I treat everyone with respect, until they prove that they deserve less. I cannot lump anyone into a melting pot of disrespect. If a cop earns my disrespect, it is on that cop, not all cops. This applies to ALL strangers.
    -
    I am in the low-rent district of Norfolk, VA due to my assignment, even though I have a wonderful home and family in SC. Today on the way to the range a black gentleman waved me down in a residential area. I stopped, rolled the window down and asked what he needed. Turns out he was looking for a particular street that I wasn't familiar with (not being from the area). I used my phone to find it for him since he was on foot and it is about 90 degrees today. I asked if he needed a ride, but he declined and thanked me.
    -
    Today there are scheduled protests around the country for all the white-haters and race-baiters. I would like to think that I did more for race relations today than any of those people. Was that my intention? No, I didn't think of it until later. In the profound words of Dr. King, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." I honestly don't think the Sharpton's and Jackson's of this world are living up to that.
    -
    Don't get me wrong, I am not a people person. It doesn't take a lot to get on my bad side, and I don't play well with others. I just believe that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and that goes for cops as well as other random strangers.
    Chief

Hell half my friends are LEO's just doing the same thing you and I do, try to support their families and carry out an unpopular job to most people and just as their are bad people there are bad cops. Part of life.

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I am no badge polisher. I treat everyone with respect, until they prove that they deserve less. I cannot lump anyone into a melting pot of disrespect. If a cop earns my disrespect, it is on that cop, not all cops. This applies to ALL strangers.
    -
    I am in the low-rent district of Norfolk, VA due to my assignment, even though I have a wonderful home and family in SC. Today on the way to the range a black gentleman waved me down in a residential area. I stopped, rolled the window down and asked what he needed. Turns out he was looking for a particular street that I wasn't familiar with (not being from the area). I used my phone to find it for him since he was on foot and it is about 90 degrees today. I asked if he needed a ride, but he declined and thanked me.
    -
    Today there are scheduled protests around the country for all the white-haters and race-baiters. I would like to think that I did more for race relations today than any of those people. Was that my intention? No, I didn't think of it until later. In the profound words of Dr. King, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." I honestly don't think the Sharpton's and Jackson's of this world are living up to that.
    -
    Don't get me wrong, I am not a people person. It doesn't take a lot to get on my bad side, and I don't play well with others. I just believe that everyone is innocent until proven guilty, and that goes for cops as well as other random strangers.
    Thank you for your actions. What you did is what is referred to as doing what is the right thing to do. Most people do this and never think twice about it because it just what we do and the world is a better place because of it.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast