Lyons: Police raid felt like home invasion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyons: Police raid felt like home invasion

Lyons: Police raid felt like home invasion

By: Tom Lyons

SARASOTA, FL -- Louis Goldsberry was washing dishes in her kitchen after dinner, when she looked up through the window to see a man “wearing a hunting vest,” aiming a gun at her face, with a red light pinpointing her.

She screamed in horror. Then she ran to her bedroom to grab her pistol to defend her and her boyfriend.

The intruder banged on the door and demanded entry. The actual words, the couple say, were, “We're the f------ police; open the f------ door.”

She and her boyfriend didn't believe the intruder. Police don't talk to people that way. And they hadn't done anything wrong. They huddled in a hallway, armed with a revolver, as the intruder broke through their front door.

“Drop the f------ gun or I'll f------ shoot you,” he shouted, now inside their home. He shouted it again and again, the couple says.

“I'm an American citizen!” she yelled, saying they had no right to do this. The armed standoff continued for several minutes, until the couple finally complied, noticing other police officers -- more than 2 dozen -- through the windows.

“It was a Rambo movie,” Craig Dorris, the boyfriend, said.

The couple was then handcuffed for 30 minutes as federal agents searched their home without a warrant.

The agents -- U.S. Marshalls -- said they were searching Sarasota for a suspect. They had no specific tip about their apartment, but the woman's reaction to their presence had given them reason to break in.

“I had to reasonably believe the bad guy was in her house based on what they were doing,” Agent Matt Wiggins said. “I went above and beyond. I have to go home at night.”

“She sure shouldn't be going to the press,” Wiggins said.
    Read More:
    Lyons: Police raid felt like home invasion | HeraldTribune.com
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

3. Agent Matt Wiggins is an idiot and he needs to be fired for violating his oath to uphold the US constitution.

4. She doesn't need to be going to the press? She needs to be going to an attorney and every press outlet she may access and tell her story.

Welcome to police state 101, Americans!

5. Felt like a home invasion? It was a home invasion-under the color of law! Just because you say you are the police does not make it so. Point a gun at someone for no reason and then expect them to not react? If you purposely blind someone with a high-power light how can you expect them to see if you look like police, have badges, etc.? It doesn't sound like reasonable cause for non-warrant entry to me. Neither can they argue they were in hot pursuit.

They were all lucky no one was killed.
    "...on any given day there are bad people in the world who are able and willing to hurt you." --Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

This is a direct result of the Patriot Act. Remember our Representatives said, "It will make us safer". With a name like "Patriot Act", how could it be bad. Ron Paul saw the danger, but no one listened, and now it is too late. The link below show who the real destroyers of the Constitution are, and they are on both sides of the aisle.
    Patriot Act Vote Record | gauchnomica
    Even though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no Evil, for YOU are with me; Remington 44 Mag:

7. I can see where all of this is going and by this time in the next one or two years is going to be scary.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Bob in Bristol View Post
    This is a direct result of the Patriot Act. Remember our Representatives said, "It will make us safer". With a name like "Patriot Act", how could it be bad. Ron Paul saw the danger, but no one listened, and now it is too late. The link below show who the real destroyers of the Constitution are, and they are on both sides of the aisle.
    Patriot Act Vote Record | gauchnomica

Wow, and this is very scary and it seem like it's is unstoppable, but I see that the Lord is on his way.

9. Quote Originally Posted by AzBanks View Post
    Agent Matt Wiggins is an idiot and he needs to be fired for violating his oath to uphold the US constitution.
    Fired? He needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law along with the idiot who saw fit to target a person washing dishes in her own home.
    "...on any given day there are bad people in the world who are able and willing to hurt you." --Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Blog Entries
    Anybody does this to my house and we can all die. I'll take the chance just for the principle.

I am a big supporter of the police and 90% are just good people trying to do a difficult and sometimes dangerous job. But, the militarization of the police is an extremely dangerous trend in this country. Paramilitary law enforcement organizations have no place in a republic. There are always a minority who abuse power and could care less about rights and the rule of law. And police do have a disturbing tendency to protect each other no matter what the offence. Government in most countries has a monopoly on force. When government agencies (IRS, NSA, ATF, FBI) abuse power it becomes a serious infringement of our liberty and the founding principles of this country.

The police are able to do their job only because they have support of the majority of the citizens. If they lose that support, because of lawless and brutal tactics, they are going to be in a very dangerous situation. If this country becomes a police state with a tyrannical government, which now appears to be happening, we will all lose. In our founding documents a remedy, if this situation develops further, has been provided. Other members of law enforcement need to take a stand against unconstitutional and lawless actions. In the near future the police are going to need all the public support they can get and this type of behavior is only going to create enemies.

I belong to Oath Keepers which is overwhelmingly made up of both past and present first responders and military. Their main purpose is keeping their oath to support and defend the Constitution. They believe in our republic and the rule of law. Some believe that this group and other like believers are somehow subversive. How can believing in the rule of law and standing against the seeds of tyranny be anti American?

If Deserteagle and Dad45acp choose to comment about the philosophical direction of a post that is fine. But some of the posts on this forum quickly devolve into name calling and personal attacks. Most on this forum love this country and believe in its founding principles. But I think they of are getting tired of posts that are designed only to provoke others. Maybe its time for the moderator to step in and guarantee a civil discussion without the hyperbole and name calling. Most support our form of government but realize that a republic requires a constant vigilance against the formation of tyranny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast