Vermont Open Carrier Illegally Handcuffed, Detained by Police - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vermont Open Carrier Illegally Handcuffed, Detained by Police

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Seriously?!? Would you care to share with us exactly how Vermont's lack of gun control laws gives the BG an edge?!?
    Ones ability to blend into their environment, provides them an edge that they would not have elsewhere.
    ~
    You may not like the implication but it is logic, a BG guy with a gun in a crowd with law abiding citizens with guns is not going to be as readily noticeable. After all, what does a BG look like when he isn't actually doing something BAD. Looks just like everyone else in the crowd, you, me or the next guy. Plus the more people who exercise their rights give the BG more people to blend into.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

3. Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    Ones ability to blend into their environment, provides them an edge that they would not have elsewhere.
    ~
    You may not like the implication but it is logic, a BG guy with a gun in a crowd with law abiding citizens with guns is not going to be as readily noticeable. After all, what does a BG look like when he isn't actually doing something BAD. Looks just like everyone else in the crowd, you, me or the next guy. Plus the more people who exercise their rights give the BG more people to blend into.
    Let me try to explain this in simple terms. A bad guy doing something bad in a crowd of people carrying guns in Vermont is likely to be only one of a few who end up lying on the ground in a pool of blood while the group of armed intended victims stays standing.

A bad guy doing something bad in a crowd of people in a state with strict gun control laws is likely to be only one of a few who end up standing while the unarmed victims are lying on the ground. In that state they blend in just as much when not doing something bad because they keep their guns hidden; but they still possess them, regardless of the laws the government passes making it illegal and the no guns signs that people put up.

The "edge" the bad guy gains by "blending in" is minute compared to the edge the law abiding citizens gain by not having to jump through hoops and pay fees and obey silly restrictive laws in order to defend themselves.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Like it or not, police officers work on appearances, called profiling. The guy in the video would set off a couple warning flags for his looks.

Police officer encountered this guy walking shirtless with a ball cap in a position favored by inmates, wearing a gun, in a residential neighborhood, walking around.

He was within his rights. Fine. He could have also gone concealed, another right he enjoys in Vermont. Had he chosen to not alarm his community with his choice of constitutional rights, he would not have been detained while police did their job making sure the public is safe.

I would expect anyone acting like they wanted attention, as in this situation, to get what they wanted.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    Like it or not, police officers work on appearances, called profiling. The guy in the video would set off a couple warning flags for his looks.

Police officer encountered this guy walking shirtless with a ball cap in a position favored by inmates, wearing a gun, in a residential neighborhood, walking around.
    Excuse me, but what is odd or alarming about the way this guy is wearing his cap?

The cap is in the position favored by baseball players, security personnel, heck, it's even basically the same position favored by jack booted thugs invading a Boston suburb while violating everyone's rights because of one bomber who wasn't even in the perimeter they invaded!

What is odd or alarming about a guy wearing shorts with no shirt when it's hot outside?

What is odd or alarming about a guy wearing a weapon on his belt in a state that has zero laws prohibiting open or concealed carry?

He was within his rights. Fine. He could have also gone concealed, another right he enjoys in Vermont.
    And you could've posted something intelligent and supportive of others' constitutional rights, but you chose instead to post this nonsense.

Had he chosen to not alarm his community with his choice of constitutional rights, he would not have been detained while police did their job making sure the public is safe.
    Had the cops chosen to respect, defend and uphold his rights as they are sworn to do, you wouldn't have had to watch the video of a free man standing up for his freedom.

I would expect anyone acting like they wanted attention, as in this situation, to get what they wanted.
    Your idiotic post is getting a bit of attention too, which you could've avoided by not exercising your right of free speech, even stupid speech.

See how that works? When you criticize the exercise of freedom, you leave yourself open to criticism of your own exercise of same.

You'll find that a majority of posters here support freedom. Your boot-licking of cops who are caught suppressing it will get you negative attention every time, which, if you do it after being informed, must mean you enjoy negative attention.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Just trying to stay on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by opsspec1991 View Post
    Vermont Open Carrier Illegally Handcuffed, Detained by Police

Openly carrying a firearm in Vermont is completely legal. In addition, the Supreme Court of the United States has found that the mere presence of a firearm is not enough of a reason to detain someone. That means, unless a police officer suspects someone is committing a crime, he cannot detain someone simply because they have a firearm.

However, thatís exactly what happened to Joshua Severance, a former service member of the National Guard.

Severance was walking down a Vermont street on the way to his fatherís house, openly carrying his 9mm handgun in a holster on his belt.

Police in the area approached Severance, told him to put his hands on the police cruiser, seized his weapon, handcuffed him, and placed him the back of cruiser for at least 15 minutes. This is clearly a detention under the law.

Video:
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Let me try to explain this in simple terms. A bad guy doing something bad in a crowd of people carrying guns in Vermont is likely to be only one of a few who end up lying on the ground in a pool of blood while the group of armed intended victims stays standing.

A bad guy doing something bad in a crowd of people in a state with strict gun control laws is likely to be only one of a few who end up standing while the unarmed victims are lying on the ground. In that state they blend in just as much when not doing something bad because they keep their guns hidden; but they still possess them, regardless of the laws the government passes making it illegal and the no guns signs that people put up.

The "edge" the bad guy gains by "blending in" is minute compared to the edge the law abiding citizens gain by not having to jump through hoops and pay fees and obey silly restrictive laws in order to defend themselves.
    Had the OP been about a BG in a crowd I would have to concede to you post. But trying to stay on the subject at hand Severance was not doing anything illegal at the time he was stopped and detained by police.
    ~
    It was under that set of circumstances that I proposed my idea of a BG having an edge in a crowd of armed citizens. I guess I have to spell out the fact that as Severance, he (the BG) wouldn't be doing anything illegal to draw attention to himself. Didn't think I really needed to be that obvious, but here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    ~
    Implications are that until a BG acts out in a crowd, he is just part of the crowd. In other words, as stated before he will be able to blend in by looking like and acting like the rest of the crowd (BG have moments when they are NOT being bad, when they are think about what BAD thing they want to do next). If BGs acted out all the time they would be real easy to spot and much easier for LE to apprehend, but that would make to easy, HUH.
    ~
    I had no intention of setting anyone off with my posts as they in no way reference Vermont's gun laws as being good or bad, simply that a BG would be able to use there permissiveness to their advantage and that would give them the edge of being able to blend into society easier if they so desired. I you can not see and accept that, sorry for any ire I may have raised.
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

7. Quote Originally Posted by dogshawred View Post
    Had the OP been about a BG in a crowd I would have to concede to you post. But trying to stay on the subject at hand Severance was not doing anything illegal at the time he was stopped and detained by police.
    ~
    It was under that set of circumstances that I proposed my idea of a BG having an edge in a crowd of armed citizens. I guess I have to spell out the fact that as Severance, he (the BG) wouldn't be doing anything illegal to draw attention to himself. Didn't think I really needed to be that obvious, but here you go.

Implications are that until a BG acts out in a crowd, he is just part of the crowd. In other words, as stated before he will be able to blend in by looking like and acting like the rest of the crowd (BG have moments when they are NOT being bad, when they are think about what BAD thing they want to do next). If BGs acted out all the time they would be real easy to spot and much easier for LE to apprehend, but that would make to easy, HUH.
    ~
    I had no intention of setting anyone off with my posts as they in no way reference Vermont's gun laws as being good or bad, simply that a BG would be able to use there permissiveness to their advantage and that would give them the edge of being able to blend into society easier if they so desired. I you can not see and accept that, sorry for any ire I may have raised.
    It just doesn't make any sense to me. Why is it easier for a bad guy to blend in in Vermont than in New York or California? All they have to do is hide their gun. That's it. Period. Nothing else. Law abiding citizens hide their guns every day, even in Vermont.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I have a problem with the police, but also the guy they detained. He said it would okay if they stopped him and check and see if the gun was stolen. If I was open carrying, I would have a problem with that. If I am not doing anything illegal, leave me alone. What evidence do they have to believe the gun I am carrying might be stolen?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12