'Civil Forfeiture' ...An appalling police tactic? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Civil Forfeiture' ...An appalling police tactic?

Blog Entries
    I heard of it happening once. A guy I knew got caught with a weed pipe, so the cops took his $12. Big time hustla money.

Quote Originally Posted by farsidefan1 View Post
    It is a situation just waiting for someone with deep pockets to challenge in court. I think the gov loses in a walkoff but it will be expensive for someone.
    If you look like a big wheel, a high roller, the cops leave you alone when they're trolling for civil forfeiture bait. They know you'll fight and win and they leave you alone because of it. The ones they go after are the upper middle class to the poor. They don't have the wherewithall to fight and will just roll over. You know who else picks on people they know can't fight back? Cowards.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I heard of it happening once. A guy I knew got caught with a weed pipe, so the cops took his $12. Big time hustla money.
    That sounds more along the lines of Bubba saying "Damn I forgot my lunch money" and then tactically acquiring than civil forfeiture.

Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    People have fought back and won, but as was mentioned above, in most cases it cost more to fight than the property was worth.
    If the people suing could collect punitive damaged, it would help stop this.
    There is no way in he!! the courts (government) would ever allow that, though.
    There have been too many cases where drugs, etc, have been planted just to steal property.
    In my younger days, I was stopped by the local police who very politely asked if they could search my car. I answered their question, with a question of my own, "will you be looking for contraband or did you bring your own?"

They didn't see the humor in my question so I told them that did not have permission to search my car. They conducted a search without my consent and found the metal box under drivers seat which contains the microprocessor and thought they hit the jackpot. They managed to tear it open and to their chagrin found only electronics instead of drugs or stolen jewelry or god knows what else they hoped to find.

They did over $5,000 worth of damage while they conducted their illegal search, which I was later reimbursed. As I said before, it's been a lifetime of bad experiences with those who protect and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    If you look like a big wheel, a high roller, the cops leave you alone when they're trolling for civil forfeiture bait. They know you'll fight and win and they leave you alone because of it. The ones they go after are the upper middle class to the poor. They don't have the wherewithall to fight and will just roll over. You know who else picks on people they know can't fight back? Cowards.
    All I can say is Amen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    Crime doesn't pay.... unless you are in the Government apparently....SMH
    My grandfather used to tell me that the reason we have laws against theft is the government doesn't like competition.

Tyranny in it's purest form.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12